Heating questions - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Lizards

Old 09-09-2019, 11:15 AM
Egg
Default Heating questions

Hi guys. New to the forum. I've recently come to own a baby leopard gecko. He/she is awesome. Eats fine, poops fine. My question is about heating. I have a Monkfield Large Reptile Vivarium - 24-8-15. Its wooden with a large glass panel on the bottom with an area for you to slide a heat mat in under the glass. The mat isn't quite touching the glass but it's a very small space. In the Viv on top of the glass I have reptile carpet. The thermostats prob is under the carpet and on the glass and set to 35 degrees. My thermometers prob is sitting on top of the carpet. The temperature above the carpet never gets higher than 28.6 degrees. Should I move the thermostat probe above the carpet so the heater stays on longer? Any help or suggestions would be great. Cheers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2019, 11:42 AM

to the Forum

The care of Leopard Geckos has changed so much over the years - heat mats are no longer recommended; reptile carpet is not a good idea; larger wooden vivariums with sliding front doors are better.

Have a look at some of the other posts in the main Lizard Section.
Old 09-09-2019, 11:52 AM
Egg

Hi. Why is reptile carpet not a good idea? I've placed the thermostat probe on top of the carpet, and now the Viv is nice and toasty. my only worry is that underneath the carpet it might be getting quite hot. I've arranged it in such a way that there's no way for the gecko to actually touch glass.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2019, 01:52 PM
Posting Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeanderthal View Post
Hi. Why is reptile carpet not a good idea? I've placed the thermostat probe on top of the carpet, and now the Viv is nice and toasty. my only worry is that underneath the carpet it might be getting quite hot. I've arranged it in such a way that there's no way for the gecko to actually touch glass.
Reptile carpet is hard to properly clean and gets caught up in lizard's claws. Paper towels are better.
Old 09-09-2019, 02:50 PM
Hatchling

I use eco earth for mine and put probe on mat that way he can bury down if he wants it warmer (which he often does). Its safe and really easy to spot clean. You just remove that bit. I replace the lot for a full clean every 4 to 6 weeks
elishacoombes9 likes this.
Old 09-09-2019, 11:59 PM
Ultra Citizen
Default Heating questions

Agree with above. Also do bio active for ours and a Mat. Much better for them also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-09-2019, 08:30 PM
Hatchling

I wouldn't recommend a heat mat as a sole source of heat, as it is only producing Infra red C. You are missing out on both Infra red A and B. They are a okay source of night time heat as Infra red C is what they would experience at night in the wild. I also agree that carpets are rubbish as stated above. I would recommend either a organic topsoil/sand mix or the Earth pro arid made by Arcadia. Id highly recommend the deep heat projectors made by Arcadia as they produce Infra red A and B, plus infra red C as a byproduct. A top down projection of heat is a far more natural way off offering heat.

On another note, when too warm if a leopard gecko burrows to try and escape heat as they would do in the wild, they are unknowingly getting closer to the heat source. Thats why if you provide it from top down your'e catering to this natural wild behaviour.
Old 11-09-2019, 11:08 AM
Premier Member

Well said, well done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam Sinclair View Post
I wouldn't recommend a heat mat as a sole source of heat, as it is only producing Infra red C. You are missing out on both Infra red A and B. They are a okay source of night time heat as Infra red C is what they would experience at night in the wild. I also agree that carpets are rubbish as stated above. I would recommend either a organic topsoil/sand mix or the Earth pro arid made by Arcadia. Id highly recommend the deep heat projectors made by Arcadia as they produce Infra red A and B, plus infra red C as a byproduct. A top down projection of heat is a far more natural way off offering heat.

On another note, when too warm if a leopard gecko burrows to try and escape heat as they would do in the wild, they are unknowingly getting closer to the heat source. Thats why if you provide it from top down your'e catering to this natural wild behaviour.

Arcadia Reptile; Head of Science and Innovation

BRAND NEW BOOK out now. The Elements series; Part 1- FIRE, The Sun, its Use and Replication in Reptile Keeping

Find us on facebook under "Arcadia reptile"
www.arcadiareptile.com
Old 11-09-2019, 07:53 PM
Hatchling

Been reading your elements series haven't I
Old 12-09-2019, 12:28 AM
Hatchling

I've seen these do they just go in a normal fitting and use a thermostat like a heat mat?