Opinions on Zoo med excavator clay - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Lizards
Register RFUK Articles Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Old 17-10-2019, 12:41 AM
Hatchling
Default Opinions on Zoo med excavator clay

Hey again

I’ve just ordered a small bag of Zoo Med Excavator clay to try out, but I was just wondering if anyone else had tried it and what they thought of it? I’m going to attempt to use it as a sort of cement to support to elevate a slate stack in my Leopard Geckos Viv.

Is it safe to leave her in the viv whilst it’s drying? I want her to have the opportunity to dig her own caves/hides should she choose to

Thanks all ✌️
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 17-10-2019, 10:02 AM
Super Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamjarbaker View Post
Hey again

Iíve just ordered a small bag of Zoo Med Excavator clay to try out, but I was just wondering if anyone else had tried it and what they thought of it? Iím going to attempt to use it as a sort of cement to support to elevate a slate stack in my Leopard Geckos Viv.

Is it safe to leave her in the viv whilst itís drying? I want her to have the opportunity to dig her own caves/hides should she choose to

Thanks all ✌️
It's pretty expensive but works reasonably well. You can make a comparable product quite a lot cheaper yourself. The second 'issue' is that the dry form is quite dusty. This isn't much of an issue when hard or wet though.

I wouldn't use it as cement however, only as a substrate. I wouldn't use it to carry any weight or support something.
Old 18-10-2019, 01:20 PM
Premier Citizen

As Creed says, once it drys out it turns to dust.
For it to hold it has to have moisture still, or be mixed into others to help bind substrate a little more.

Iv used it as part of a sand/soil mix, replacing half the sand with the premix. I found i used but too much excavator and it turns soild, so be careful with your proportions (took a few attempts to get a nice balance).
I think i settled around 20% sand 30% excavator 50% soil and misting every other day, with a few extra squirts in the shady bits/cool end .

Since changed to outback desert bedding and soil/sand, and actually thinking of going back... it doesnt hold its form too well when dug into and needs resoaking and pressing more often ( I do a full change every 6/7 months roughly)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 19-10-2019, 02:46 PM
Hatchling

Thanks for the advice! I ended up doing similar to what you suggested and making a mix. I used small bits of just excavator clay as well just to add areas of height, and going to spray it lightly every few days ☺️
Attached Thumbnails
Opinions on Zoo med excavator clay-e9208fbe-7a49-4dbc-be26-adb13f1193f0_1571489196512.jpeg  

Opinions on Zoo med excavator clay-69c11963-fa0a-4333-857a-490b0603908e_1571489207619.jpeg  

Old 19-10-2019, 03:35 PM

Just a thought, she can't get stuck in either of those skulls can she?
Old 20-10-2019, 01:00 PM
Hatchling

Thanks for your concern but no she can’t get stuck in them ☺️ She fits happily through the eyes and back of the human skull and I’ve completely filled the inside of the buffalo skull so she can’t even try to get in