Uromastyx aquarium suitable? & Uromastyx relationship advice? - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Lizards

Old 03-02-2020, 09:02 PM
Egg
Unhappy Uromastyx aquarium suitable? & Uromastyx relationship advice?

Hello, I'm very new to lizard care and this is my first one. His name is Panem and I've had him for ~2 years now. He's still DEATHLY scared of me. He only comes out of his cave if I'm moving slowly or sitting and doing something. And if I do move around, he freezes and stares at me, and runs if I get too close to the aquarium. I've tried handlng him for an hour a day the first few months of getting him (Jan-July), until reading that they hate being handled. So I haven't done much with him at all since unless I bathe him. He still hasn't gotten used to me and I don't know what I should do, or if the damage is already done between us.

Also is his environment suitable? I've changed it a couple times (4) over the past 2 years because I'm still very unsure of what's proper. I see a lot of info about Bearded Dragons and not a lot about Uromastyx, and am unsure of how similar their requirements are.

His aquarium is:
-34in long
-14in tall
-17in wide
He himself is ~1ft, and I don't know his age (or gender for that matter).

The substrate I'm using is Desert Blend Ground English Walnut Shells. Before this it was washed sand and before that it was just a rocky type mat. I switched to the Walnut because all the stores only sold washed sand w/ little sharp pebbles randomly in the sand, which made me fear him hurting himself accidentally eating the rocks.

The heat lamp is a 100w Repti basking spot lamp and a standard UVB bulb. The thermometer tells me the temperature is ~80-90 degrees F at all times, and I don't know if I should increase it or how I should. The Humidity gauge (center of tank) is almost always aound 20-30%. I also put Repcal on his food as a vet told me too in the first few months of me getting him.

Any advice/changes? Thank you very much!

Image:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2020, 09:16 PM
Ultra Citizen

Hi, everything I say is to try and help you help the lizard so please don`t offence!
Firstly, the aquarium is too small, I would offer a minimum of 3L x 2w x 1.5 to 2H (feet) which will allow a greater heat gradient which is very important. The UVB compacts are not at all efficient, they emit weak UVB and only over a relatively small area.
The analogue gauges are often very inaccurate (possibly 15%+ out) you absolutely MUST use digital gauges for the ambient (air) temps and an IR (infrared) Temp-gun for the basking surface (that needs to be between approx. 120 to 130f) I doubt it`s anywhere near that at the moment. At this time you/we have no idea what the temps and humidity might be, the items I mention are URGENT.
I can put a link up if you need info on the digital gauge and Temp-gun if needed?

EDIT: Childrens playsand is more suitable than the crushed shells (that should be done asap.)
Supplements are mostly pure guesswork, providing a nourishing diet is much more beneficial.
panem111 likes this.

Last edited by murrindindi; 03-02-2020 at 09:21 PM..
Old 04-02-2020, 05:52 PM
Hatchling

Minimum enclosure length is 4foot for uromastyx.

Your animal is nervous because it has nowhere to hide. They need lots of cover to feel secure, they will be a lot more bold if they feel safe. HOWEVER a lot of uromastyx don't really like human interaction anyway.

Please improve your setup as it is depressingly awful
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2020, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Firstly, the aquarium is too small

Agreed.

Quote:
Minimum enclosure length is 4foot for uromastyx

Agreed. All mine are in 4ft long wooden vivs.

Quote:
Temp-gun for the basking surface (that needs to be between approx. 120 to 130f)

Agreed.

Quote:
Childrens playsand is more suitable than the crushed shells (that should be done asap.)

Also agree.

Quote:
Your animal is nervous because it has nowhere to hide. They need lots of cover to feel secure

This also. Uro's are quite shy nervy lizards until they get used to you but don't do well in open tanks like yours. Wooden vivs are best as they hold the heat better especially for the high heat needed for this species. If you can get the temp needed in this type of glass tank then you at least need to put some backing paper of some kind such as aquarium paper around the 2 sides and the back. More hiding places and some more enrichment in your set up is needed. Uro's can become quite tame once they have the environment correct. They are my favourite lizards.
panem111 likes this.

Tags
food , relationship help , substrate , tank advice , uromastyx