Temperature issue - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Lizards

Old 12-02-2020, 11:32 AM
Egg
Default Temperature issue

Hello,

I have been having an issue with the temperature in my bearded dragons vivarium using a microclimate dimmer b1 ht.

I have 2 digital temp sensors one being at the cool end and one around the basking area. I'm getting around 26-27 celcius at the cool and about 37 at the hot end.

My problem is that no matter what temperature i set the micro climate to be these temperatures never change. At first I thought maybe my bulb is underpowered (100w) so I thought of using a 150w and controlling the temperature. I have blown 2 150w bulbs within 30 seconds of connecting them which indicates maybe the dimmer switch is faulty and is not controlling Temperature? The dimmer should handle up to 600w.

The dimmer switch was purchased from new and is about 7 months old

Any ideas?

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2020, 01:05 PM
Premier Citizen

Microclimate ones come with a warranty dont they?
Old 12-02-2020, 01:14 PM
Egg

I believe it's 5 years

I will probably send it off but was trying to identify mainly why a 100watt bulb doesn't hit the temperatures and a 150watt blows withing seconds.arent micro climate suppose to protect against this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2020, 05:56 PM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simba-ali34 View Post
I believe it's 5 years

I will probably send it off but was trying to identify mainly why a 100watt bulb doesn't hit the temperatures and a 150watt blows withing seconds.arent micro climate suppose to protect against this?
Hi, what amp fuse are you using, and can you show a few photos of the enclosure and say what size it is, also show the positions of the heat bulb/s?
Old 12-02-2020, 06:41 PM
Egg

Hey,

The vivarium measures 116cm x 50 cm x 50cm The light is located about 10 cm from one end. I'll try and get some pics when I can. I know it's on the small side and I plan on getting a larger one once my dragon reaches adulthood.

In all honesty I'm not sure what amp the microclimate is using as the unit was supplied and set up by my local shop. I'm planning on asking them to check for faults on the unit as I'm sure 100w is more than enough for this size. Still baffled why the 150w is failing straight away
Old 12-02-2020, 08:35 PM
Premier Citizen

In the size viv you have, a 70 w halogen bulb should do the trick quite nicely in a wooden viv (or a 50w DHP).

Is it a glass viv you are using?
Old 12-02-2020, 08:42 PM
Egg

It's a wooden vivarium.

I fail to see how I'm not reaching temperature with a 100w if you say 75 should be fine?

I have 2 digital probes measuring the temperatures and even though they measure 26 cold and 37 hot it doesn't explain why the micro climate stat is not warming the attached sensor passed 31c no matter the setting or why it's blowing a 150w bulb but not a 100w. The ceramic lamp holder says it can handle upto 300w... confused
Old 14-02-2020, 08:00 AM
Premier Citizen

The type of bulb makes a big difference to how the heat moves around.
A 75w halogen is more directional than a flood beam bulb for example, meaning more heat straight down so the basking spot warms up quicker/higher temp.

A wide beam, or a flood type bulb, spread the light/heat about far more, so the temps take longer to rise and the cool end isnt a huge amount lower than the warm end.

I would personally look at a 75w halogen bulb or a DHP bulb, using a reflector dome will also help direct the heat/light more and you also have to consider the distance from the bulb to the basking surface. Closer the platform, higher the basking temp, just make sure it isnt too close (wouldnt go any less than a 25cm gap, and would still lean more towards 30cm minimum). You have to consider the area the beam covers, as well as the risk of burns if its too close.
Old 14-02-2020, 05:27 PM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simba-ali34 View Post
It's a wooden vivarium.

I fail to see how I'm not reaching temperature with a 100w if you say 75 should be fine?

I have 2 digital probes measuring the temperatures and even though they measure 26 cold and 37 hot it doesn't explain why the micro climate stat is not warming the attached sensor passed 31c no matter the setting or why it's blowing a 150w bulb but not a 100w. The ceramic lamp holder says it can handle upto 300w... confused
Hi, can you give the type and brand name of the 100w basking bulb you`re using?