Gargoyle gecko humidity - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Lizards

Old 16-02-2020, 07:20 PM
Egg
Default Gargoyle gecko humidity

Hello, this is my first post here and my very first terrarium.
I do not have the gecko yet but I’m in the middle of building his habitat which consists of:
2” of hydroballs with screen mesh to separate substrate from hydroballs
Substrate: equal parts, cocofiber, reptibark, reptisoil, and sphagnum moss as well as maple leaves layering the surface
Plants: Prayer plant, Pothos, Dracaena Deremensis, Begonia Rex, and Peperomia Prostrata
Wood: cork tile background, cork rounds and grapevine wood
Cleanup crew: dwarf grey isopods, dwarf white isopods, springtails

I’m having trouble with my humidity I know the gargoyle gecko should be kept at 70% humidity and when I woke up this morning at 7:45 it was at 74% which I assume is within normal parameters but after I mist the terrarium it jumps to 90% over the span of an hour and has remained in the high to mid 80s for the past 2 hours and just went back down to 74% at 12pm . Is it ok for it to remain this high for that long? I don’t want to cause any respiratory issues when I finally get my gecko but I also don’t know how to control my humidity to get it and keep it where it needs to be. Also for the temperature should I be going off of the actual temperature or the “Feels like temp” my fiancé said it would “feel like” 78 degrees but I thought I needed to go off the actual temperature in the terrarium.
Any info is appreciated! Thank you!!
Attached Thumbnails
Gargoyle gecko humidity-c5637810-3cc4-4e12-b4a3-c8a68700cc09_1581880846693.jpeg  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 16-02-2020, 07:55 PM
Ultra Citizen

Hi, what type of hygrometer are you using?
You will always have a problem stabilising the humidity because it`s a screen enclosure.
Old 16-02-2020, 08:00 PM
Egg

I’m using the Zoo med hygrometer and thermometer, I plan on upgrading it to a digital version before getting the gecko but that’s what I’m using currently. It seems to have dropped back down to 74% and is staying there I’m just worried about the humidity being high the few hours after misting, is that normal or should it remain stable?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 16-02-2020, 10:34 PM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarbleglarf View Post
I’m using the Zoo med hygrometer and thermometer, I plan on upgrading it to a digital version before getting the gecko but that’s what I’m using currently. It seems to have dropped back down to 74% and is staying there I’m just worried about the humidity being high the few hours after misting, is that normal or should it remain stable?
The analogue gauges are usually quite inaccurate (as much as 15%+out) we have no idea what the temps and humidity really are? A digital gauge should be around halfway up the enclosure side (if it doesn`t have a probe attached).