Savannah Monitor Help - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Lizards

Old 28-06-2020, 02:12 PM
Hatchling
Default Savannah Monitor Help

Hi guys, I was just after some advice on how to get my Bosc to lose some weight!

Background info:
Bosc 4 years old
Approx 26 inches long (came to me with tail rot so had part of his tail amputated as a baby)
Enclosure 7x3x3
1 ft soil/sand mix substrate,
basking temp 125-135 f (infrared temp gun) made with 2x 100w basking bulbs
cool side around 82f (digital thermometer)
50 to 60% RH
Arcadia 10%+ T8 bulb with reflector
Arcadia jungle dawn led for 6500k lighting.
Large cat litter tray for bathing.

I've tried feeding him locusts/grubs/dubias 2x a week and making him work for them, for a few months now but it hasnt seemed to have helped too much. I've tried to get him to swim but he wont and I've tried putting morio worms in Kong toys/burying them in his substrate to encourage him to dig but he gives up after a short time.
Any advice would be much appreciated and I'm happy to make any changes.

TIA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 28-06-2020, 05:42 PM
Ultra Citizen

Hi, can you put a few photos up of the enclosure and the monitor?
Old 28-06-2020, 07:09 PM
Hatchling

Sure, I'm just trying to work out how to do that 😅🤦‍♀️
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 28-06-2020, 07:17 PM
Egg
Default Lose weight

Reduce caloric intake and increase activity - monitors in nature feast in the wet months and fast in the summer living off fat stores. In captivity and consistent feeding, they are in a perpetual feeding phase whereas in nature this is not reality.

Reduce caloric intake and try to increase activity. If your monitor is tame and tolerates handling, walk him, take him to a park, get him out and moving.

Same principle as people losing weight. Hope this helps.

I have a juvenile monitor coming up on 6 months and need start monitoring his weight as I he has been growing like a beast and I am afraid of obesity.

Try changing his feeding frequency and volume. Maybe feed him only 3-4 times a week (Every other day). Or try a temporary caloric reduction for a few weeks to try and reset his metabolism.

At the end of the day - the fact of the matter is - obesity is caused by a surplus of calories than body needs after baselines calories are met.
Old 28-06-2020, 07:25 PM
Egg
Default Also

I noticed in your post you have tried certain things I have mentioned. Frankly, these monitor species are not a new species. Their genus dates back to the dinosaurs. If he is obese and not wanting to move, his lizard brain will eventually tell him tp get up and move when he is hungry.

Again, in nature, these lizards typically will fast in the summer and live off fat stores.

Your cage setup appears to be ok. I personally dont agree with the high basking temps but some may crucify me for saying so. I keep a basking temp of 100-115. Nowhere in nature, especially the grasslands of the African grasslands would it ever get 160 degrees. But thats just me.

Think about it, if its 160 degrees in his backing spot, his evolutionary nature is in summer fasting mode and living off fat stores. We are talking about these animals goings months with very little to eat in the wild.

I am not sure the answer you are looking for is one I am comfortable posting. But since everything you have tried isn't working, might be time for some bloodwork from the vet to determine metabolic function.

Last edited by Shellsfeathers&fur; 28-06-2020 at 07:43 PM..
Old 28-06-2020, 07:27 PM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReptileJo28 View Post
Sure, I'm just trying to work out how to do that 😅🤦‍♀️
I copy and paste mine from an album, I think other people use Imgur/other
Old 28-06-2020, 07:28 PM
Egg

my mistake - basking temps of 120-135 are just borderline for my personal taste of temperature. Again, judge me if you like but look at the average climate and yearly average temps of where these animals are from.
Old 28-06-2020, 07:33 PM
Ultra Citizen

[QUOTE=coarseNorse;13362391]
I personally dont agree with the high basking temps but some may crucify me for saying so. I keep a basking temp of 100-115. Nowhere in nature, especially the grasslands of the African grasslands would it ever get 160 degrees. But thats just me. [ENQUOTE]

Hi, the monitor needs to have a basking SURFACE temp of at least 50c, preferably higher than that within the actual basking site (if it`s large enough there should be a reasonable difference in surface temps).
For your information and anyone else who isn`t too sure, surface temps within their range during "activity periods" DO get to 60c+ (there are rocks, bare ground). I note you have edited your info on the temps.
Old 28-06-2020, 07:38 PM
Egg

Yes true trust me, I live in Las Vegas and understand asphalt temps versus ambient air temperature (Its gets around 70c at times but that doesnt mean i set my thermostat that high).

But those temps only happen in the summer months. And what do monitors do in the summer fasting months?? They dont hang around outside all day long during draught periods and low food intake.

Its a pure question of what is necessary. CAN you have basking spots that high? Yes
Will the monitor do ok in backing spots that high? Yes, they are lizards and can withstand harsh environments

Is it absolutely necessary for 60c basking spots all year round defying its natural annual climate cycle? Arguably. no.
Old 28-06-2020, 07:38 PM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by coarseNorse View Post
my mistake - basking temps of 120-135 are just borderline for my personal taste of temperature. Again, judge me if you like but look at the average climate and yearly average temps of where these animals are from.
They are not in an average climate in captivity, they are in a tiny box and the yearly average temps where they`re from are sufficient for objects to reach the surface temps I suggest.