Bearded Dragon now not eating - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Lizards

Old 08-09-2020, 11:48 AM
Hatchling
Default Bearded Dragon now not eating

About 6 weeks ago i purchased a bearded dragon from local independent pet reptile/fish store thats been around years for my daughter. Everything was fine for the first 2 weeks, eating around 15-20 crickets a day, mixing it up with a few meal worms here and there and locusts also. Offered veg each day but never touched it. Each feed dusting the food. I had bearded dragons years ago and never had any issues and thought this should be no problem helping my daughter to start off the care for new addition to the family and then let her take over and supervise.

Now this hasnt happened as im struggling to find solution and maybe im forgetting something but little Spike as he's named is literally now eating maybe 2 crickets every 3-4 days. He started to shed and this is when we noticed he wasnt eating much but wasnt too concerned as when our Veiled Chameleon shed he doesnt eat much that day and its fine next day back to his usual self. Since this shedding its when things changed eating wise, we bathed him to aid the shedding and seems to have energy when he's out.

The things ive tried was the little log he sat on to bask as crickets just hid up and never seemed to come out so we thought that was an issue as he couldnt get to them, lowered the UVB bulb down in the Wooden Viv as it may have been too high as told it should be around 6-8 inches away roughly to where he basks. Changed crickets smaller as Chameleon was needing bigger crickets and thought maybe they were too big, now roughly the size of between gap between his eyes. Temps we changed also and this is where im getting frustrated, guy at the store said 35 celcius but then reading round websites different forums people suggesting 37-40c for a 3 month old beardie. We contacted the same pet store we bought him from and they said 35c is too hot and try 31c so that really didnt fill me with confidence after giving me two different temps to aim for. Basking area is controlled by microclimate thermostat with prorep 60w bulb and i also have 100w exo terra bulb spare. The UVB is an Exotera UVB150 25w 30 inch tube with an additional 25w Natural light tube also Exoterra.

Only additional thing to add is cool area is always in high 20s for temps and night time temps are around 20c. The wooden Viv is a 3 foot tank.

Im really frustrated as the Chameleon purchased for myself i was told it was a step up from bearded dragon care wise and its been awesome. Not running same light set up as i have one of the Arcadia D3 UV Basking Bulbs which is an all in one bulb as recommended by other reptile store that i bought chameleon from. I even asked this store over the phone about the beardie and girl suggested that 34C that i told her over the phone was fine as a glanced at the temps while talking to her. Please help as my daughter loves this beardie so much, she even does TikToks with it (with tank in background) and talks to it so much.

Last edited by Tobin85; 08-09-2020 at 11:53 AM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2020, 12:34 PM
Posting Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobin85 View Post
About 6 weeks ago i purchased a bearded dragon from local independent pet reptile/fish store thats been around years for my daughter. Everything was fine for the first 2 weeks, eating around 15-20 crickets a day, mixing it up with a few meal worms here and there and locusts also. Offered veg each day but never touched it. Each feed dusting the food. I had bearded dragons years ago and never had any issues and thought this should be no problem helping my daughter to start off the care for new addition to the family and then let her take over and supervise.

Now this hasnt happened as im struggling to find solution and maybe im forgetting something but little Spike as he's named is literally now eating maybe 2 crickets every 3-4 days. He started to shed and this is when we noticed he wasnt eating much but wasnt too concerned as when our Veiled Chameleon shed he doesnt eat much that day and its fine next day back to his usual self. Since this shedding its when things changed eating wise, we bathed him to aid the shedding and seems to have energy when he's out.

The things ive tried was the little log he sat on to bask as crickets just hid up and never seemed to come out so we thought that was an issue as he couldnt get to them, lowered the UVB bulb down in the Wooden Viv as it may have been too high as told it should be around 6-8 inches away roughly to where he basks. Changed crickets smaller as Chameleon was needing bigger crickets and thought maybe they were too big, now roughly the size of between gap between his eyes. Temps we changed also and this is where im getting frustrated, guy at the store said 35 celcius but then reading round websites different forums people suggesting 37-40c for a 3 month old beardie. We contacted the same pet store we bought him from and they said 35c is too hot and try 31c so that really didnt fill me with confidence after giving me two different temps to aim for. Basking area is controlled by microclimate thermostat with prorep 60w bulb and i also have 100w exo terra bulb spare. The UVB is an Exotera UVB150 25w 30 inch tube with an additional 25w Natural light tube also Exoterra.

Only additional thing to add is cool area is always in high 20s for temps and night time temps are around 20c. The wooden Viv is a 3 foot tank.

Im really frustrated as the Chameleon purchased for myself i was told it was a step up from bearded dragon care wise and its been awesome. Not running same light set up as i have one of the Arcadia D3 UV Basking Bulbs which is an all in one bulb as recommended by other reptile store that i bought chameleon from. I even asked this store over the phone about the beardie and girl suggested that 34C that i told her over the phone was fine as a glanced at the temps while talking to her. Please help as my daughter loves this beardie so much, she even does TikToks with it (with tank in background) and talks to it so much.
Basking temp must be 110-115f.
Old 08-09-2020, 12:38 PM
Hatchling

Its a simple as that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2020, 12:40 PM
Posting Deity

Quote:
Its a simple as that?
As far as the basking temp is concerned, yes.
Old 08-09-2020, 12:46 PM
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinss77 View Post
As far as the basking temp is concerned, yes.
Ok thanks, i will try this. Is there a time scale where i should notice signs of improvement? Hours or days?
Old 08-09-2020, 05:39 PM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Ok thanks, i will try this. Is there a time scale where i should notice signs of improvement? Hours or days?
Hi, can you put a few photos up of the whole enclosure and also say how you measure both ambient, basking surface temps and humidity range, and what is the latter?
Old 08-09-2020, 10:12 PM
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrindindi View Post
Hi, can you put a few photos up of the whole enclosure and also say how you measure both ambient, basking surface temps and humidity range, and what is the latter?
I use exo terra digital thermometers in cool end and hot end, the basking area is pretty close to the thermometer at the hot end so i keep an eye on basking temps. I use daily heat temperature gun on basking area which normally matches within 0.5C of what hot end thermometer says. The thermostat prob is in the middle of the viv and after the comment above about setting higher temps its set at 35C to achieve target basking spot temps of 40C. Issue is this afternoon the cool end is around 31-32C. I will grab some pics tomorrow as its in daughters room and she is asleep so will get them when lights are on. Will check on him tomorrow morning as he's sleeping away from basking spot so wondering if its too hot as he always used to sleep under his basking spot when lights went off
Old 08-09-2020, 10:30 PM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
I use exo terra digital thermometers in cool end and hot end, the basking area is pretty close to the thermometer at the hot end so i keep an eye on basking temps. I use daily heat temperature gun on basking area which normally matches within 0.5C of what hot end thermometer says. The thermostat prob is in the middle of the viv and after the comment above about setting higher temps its set at 35C to achieve target basking spot temps of 40C. Issue is this afternoon the cool end is around 31-32C. I will grab some pics tomorrow as its in daughters room and she is asleep so will get them when lights are on. Will check on him tomorrow morning as he's sleeping away from basking spot so wondering if its too hot as he always used to sleep under his basking spot when lights went off
Pics will help when you can get them up, you basically only need to know two temps during "activity time"; the lowest ambient @ around 21 to24c then the basking surface temps @ between approx 38 to 43c, that range can be achieved by providing a relatively large basking spot.
Nighttime no lower than approx 19c unless the animal is brumating.
Humidity range between approx 30 to 60%+, the lower figure will be immediately around the basking site, the higher in the cooler parts.
I don`t quite understand how the basking surface temp taken with the Temp-gun is only 0.5c higher than the ambient temp measured with the digital thermometer being as the latter is only reading the air temps?
Old 08-09-2020, 10:59 PM
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrindindi View Post
Pics will help when you can get them up, you basically only need to know two temps during "activity time"; the lowest ambient @ around 21 to24c then the basking surface temps @ between approx 38 to 43c, that range can be achieved by providing a relatively large basking spot.
Nighttime no lower than approx 19c unless the animal is brumating.
Humidity range between approx 30 to 60%+, the lower figure will be immediately around the basking site, the higher in the cooler parts.
I don`t quite understand how the basking surface temp taken with the Temp-gun is only 0.5c higher than the ambient temp measured with the digital thermometer being as the latter is only reading the air temps?
I mean im not going to pretend im a pro at bearded dragons, just local pet store said to me as long as it reads on digital thermometer the temps he told me you should be fine, was told 35C for basking area and told me to place it near basking spot and when you achieve that all is fine if its consistent. Regarding the thermostat probe was told put put in middle to achieve this so you get a gradient temp from hot to cold. Just so confused on how everything was fine years ago with the 6month old beardies i bought and had no issues. Just additional pressure to get it right and not have an upset daughter who is getting more concerned for his welfare.
Old 08-09-2020, 11:40 PM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
I mean im not going to pretend im a pro at bearded dragons, just local pet store said to me as long as it reads on digital thermometer the temps he told me you should be fine, was told 35C for basking area and told me to place it near basking spot and when you achieve that all is fine if its consistent. Regarding the thermostat probe was told put put in middle to achieve this so you get a gradient temp from hot to cold. Just so confused on how everything was fine years ago with the 6month old beardies i bought and had no issues. Just additional pressure to get it right and not have an upset daughter who is getting more concerned for his welfare.
The advise I have offered is reliable, the way to do this is to take the surface temp of the basking object with the Temp-gun then by adjusting either the bulb wattage or distance to basking object, set your surface temp range ("range" meaning on the basking object). I note you said it`s a log, a piece of slate or flat stone will hold the heat more effectively. Then take the air temp in the cooler parts with the digital thermometer.
You haven`t said what the humidity range is, it`s extremely important to make sure it`s suitable.
wilkinss77 likes this.

Last edited by murrindindi; 08-09-2020 at 11:58 PM..

Tags
bearded dragon