Why isnt my beardie interested in food? - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Lizards

Old 29-05-2008, 07:22 PM
Super Regular
Default Why isnt my beardie interested in food?

Hi,

I have a bearded dragon that was bought December 2006, I think he was about 1-2 months old at the time (can't remember but was very small). Heís in a 4x2x2 viv.

He will not eat on a regular basis, and very rarely poos in his viv. He will only normally poo in the sink when I give him a bath, but I don't want to do this too often so only do that twice a week, so effectively he's only pooing twice a week (if I can get him to at all that is)...

He rarely eats much. I went through a stage mid-2007 where he started refusing crickets, so I gave him locusts instead. He also had meal worms. I also started breeding lobster roaches as these were the only things he'd eat properly, but now I have thousands that he wonít touch! All he now eats is the occasional locust and wax worms. He doesnít seem readily interested in locusts but takes some, he'll eat all the wax worms heís given though. He no longer shows any interest in roaches (they go in a bowl in the viv otherwise they hide, so maybe he can't see them?), crickets, or meal/morioworms....

He has little interest in veg but I do put some in there every day. He nibbles at it from time to time. He gets a mixed leaf bag from Asda (no rocket or iceberg), or dandelion leaves. I've tried many mixers (courgettes, butternut, etc) but he has never eaten any.

He is starting to look quite skinny (IMO) and weighs 580g.

He spends the morning and early afternoon, up until about 2-3pm quite active (but not eating), and then spends the rest of the day sat at the cold end.

I donít know what to do. What am I doing wrong? Itís got to the point where Iíve tried so many eating patterns with him Iím now so confused that I donít even know what and how often I should be feeding him anymore. Also heís probably been neglected recently as Iíve had health problems so havenít been able to spend time making sure everything was fine on a daily basis (I do still try and feed him every day).

Is it impaction maybe? I donít know.

If someone could please take the time to help me Iíd be very grateful. I will do whatever is needed and spend whatever I need to in order to get it right.
Thanks

(Sorry for going on and on but I wanted to get as many facts down as I could).

P.S Ė If anyone thinks I should re-home him as I canít look after him, donít hesitate to say so. Iíll do whatever is right for the lizard. Just please donít resort to personal abuse as I am at least trying.

Advertisement

Old 29-05-2008, 07:34 PM
Super Regular

i had a simular prob with my beardie.

always sat at the top of the logs as far away from any heat. not eating much somtimes less than a box of large crixs aweek. very rarely pooing bout 2 times aweek.
this was after i moved him into his 4x2x2 viv. i changed the lamp from red to white to blue etc but he never went to bask. unless i put him there but he still just moved back to the probaly coldest spot in the viv. and stay there all cold and dark.

got a little concernd so i moved him into a 3x2x2 and withing days hes was basking eating and generally being a typical beardie.
all my temps were fine in the 4x2x2 110 bask 95ish ambient and 80-85 cool.
the beardies was born july 07 so was 6 months old and 18inch tip to tip.

no idea why he did it but i suggest trying a smaller viv. worked for me.
nice beardie as well not female is it :P
good luck bud.

Last edited by dave1984; 29-05-2008 at 07:38 PM..
Old 29-05-2008, 07:41 PM
Regular

Hi, I'm no expert but I would say it might be time to take him to the vets (if you havent already) and perhaps get a faecal examination, if he isnt well then the vet should be able to treat it and if not then at least youll know theres nothing medically wrong with him

Hopefully others with more experience will be able to provide more help.

Hope your beardie gets on ok
1.0.0 Corn Snake: SnakeE
1.0.0 Royal Python: Eddie
0.1.0 IJCP: Isis
2.0.0 Cats: Penny & Dodge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 29-05-2008, 08:14 PM

I agree with the last post - take him to the vet for a check up. Even if there is nothing physically wrong, it will put your mind at rest. And it could be something simple that is easily treatable. Better to get him checked now to rule anything else out before changing the viv or something.
Old 29-05-2008, 08:18 PM
Super Regular

forgot about that.
vet will be the first port of call.
i forgot to put i did it with mine and he came back healthy if not a lil fat. but i still got him going upto the coldside.
Old 29-05-2008, 08:28 PM
Super Regular

I only bought the 4x2x2 a couple of months ago. I only took him out of the old 3ft as I was told it wasn't big enough for him. He didnt have much room at all in the 3ft.

Looking at the viv pic, is there anything I should change? Is my decor arranged OK?

Also, is 580g underweight for his age? He's about a year and a half old now.

I want to take him for a check up but im having problems finding a vet that I can get him to. I'll get searching again and make some calls tomorrow.

Does anyone think that I should be more stricter with feeding in order to make him eat? Because I work 9-5:30, I put his food in in the morning and leave it in all day. Is it worth me coming home at dinner and just letting him eat (if he will) in that hour and then take the food away from him? Is this worthwhile?
Old 30-05-2008, 06:24 PM
Super Regular

bump...
Old 30-05-2008, 06:34 PM
Forum Citizen

How old are ur bulbs? Could be they're not producing enough uv??? Not an expert either but just an idea.
Old 30-05-2008, 06:48 PM

just a thought , you could build up the insides of the viv a bit so that hes nearer to the uv?
Old 30-05-2008, 11:56 PM
Premier Member
Reviews: 29
Send a message via MSN to HadesDragons

580g is fine for a beardie; it's towards the "large" end of their typical weights. Have you had a look at the bearded dragon food chart (now moved to the "newbie" section...? There's a lot of greens on there that you may want to try with him.

At his age and size, he should only be pooing 1-2 times per week, so I wouldn't worry about that. His diet should be 75% greens and only around 25% livefood...

What are your warm and cool end temperatures? Everything sounds pretty reasonable though, as always, it's impossible to say for certain without seeing him. As *Tasha* suggested, you could get a reptile vet to look at him and give him a quick check. It's not massively expensive to see a vet, and they are far more likely to spot problems than anyone can over the internet based on descriptions alone etc...