Setting up heat lamp!? - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Lizards

Old 06-08-2008, 12:21 AM
Default Setting up heat lamp!?

I REALLY don't understand why, in every post I read on every website, they simply reference "getting a heat lamp", but don't mention that it involves wiring, drilling etc.

How can this not be a big deal!? Are all reptile enthusiasts also part-time electricians?

How do I do it? Is there a guide? Should I go to my local pet shop and ask if they can do it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2008, 12:37 AM
Ultra Citizen
Send a message via AIM to POAGeckos Send a message via MSN to POAGeckos

heat lamps only require being plugged in... not to difficult.
1.0 Fire Belly Newt (Wallace)
Old 06-08-2008, 12:59 AM

Hmmm is that so?

As far as I can gather, you need to buy a bulb, a bulb holder, wire them up, attach them to a plug, drill a hole in the vivarium and screw the bulb holder into it.

Every vivarium I've seen has had a heat bulb set up this way. Sounds difficult to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2008, 01:15 AM
Ultra Citizen
Send a message via AIM to POAGeckos Send a message via MSN to POAGeckos

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlasTTTair View Post
Hmmm is that so?

As far as I can gather, you need to buy a bulb, a bulb holder, wire them up, attach them to a plug, drill a hole in the vivarium and screw the bulb holder into it.

Every vivarium I've seen has had a heat bulb set up this way. Sounds difficult to me.
well seems like you just figured it out. I buy screen tops and place the light on top. what animal are you intending on having this for?
The bulb and bulb fixtures come from pet stores
1.0 Fire Belly Newt (Wallace)
Old 06-08-2008, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by POAGeckos View Post
well seems like you just figured it out. I buy screen tops and place the light on top. what animal are you intending on having this for?
The bulb and bulb fixtures come from pet stores
It would be for a bearded dragon. I have no idea how people are able to do this without guidance.
Old 06-08-2008, 01:28 AM
Premier Member
Reviews: 29
Send a message via MSN to HadesDragons

You can often buy pre-wired bulb holders designed for use with reptiles (but they obviously come at a premium price...)

Aside from that, what you said is pretty much how you have to set them up - if you're not happy doing it yourself, get someone who is experienced in doing it to show you how it's done. I wouldn't recommend reading a "guide" to it if you really have no idea how to wire anything - it's one of those things that you need to see and be talked through a few times; although it's fairly simple to do, it can be very dangerous if not done correctly. You could maybe try asking a friend / relative to go through it all with you? Wiring's definitely a pretty useful skill to have if you're thinking of getting into reptiles!
Old 06-08-2008, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadesDragons View Post
You can often buy pre-wired bulb holders designed for use with reptiles (but they obviously come at a premium price...)

Aside from that, what you said is pretty much how you have to set them up - if you're not happy doing it yourself, get someone who is experienced in doing it to show you how it's done. I wouldn't recommend reading a "guide" to it if you really have no idea how to wire anything - it's one of those things that you need to see and be talked through a few times; although it's fairly simple to do, it can be very dangerous if not done correctly. You could maybe try asking a friend / relative to go through it all with you? Wiring's definitely a pretty useful skill to have if you're thinking of getting into reptiles!
My Dad's a qualified electrician mate. If I still lived at home he'd have been able to build and wire a vivarium for me. However, I no longer live at home, so he can't show me how to wire at this present time.

Do you have any idea where I could pick up a pre-wired one from?
Old 06-08-2008, 02:47 AM
Premier Member
Reviews: 29
Send a message via MSN to HadesDragons

You could have a look at one of the online retailers for a bulb holder designed for reptiles, or possibly even in a local reptile store. As far as I'm aware, something such a "t-rex clamp lamp" should come ready to plug in - you might want to check with wherever you buy it from so you're 100% sure first though. Try places like 888, kimbosreptileworld, livefoods etc, but perhaps email them first if it's not clear from the pictures.

To avoid having to drill through the top, then remove the plug and rewire it you could try popping a vent out, run the plug and wire through the hole, then use a knife to make a small cutout in the vent that the wire will pass through when you put the vent back into place. It wouldn't be the best-looking job ever though. I'd say your best bet would be to get someone to go through it with you though - virtually all of the attractive vivariums you see involve some element of rewiring (even if it's just removing / reattaching a plug) so it's a pretty vital set of skills to have.
Old 06-08-2008, 10:28 AM
Forum Citizen

I know the consequences for getting it wrong are pretty bad, but wiring up lights is dead easy. If you get fittings from a place like B&Q then there's usually a diagram in the packet, or if you get them from a proper hardware shop they may well be just un-packeted but I would be absolutely gobsmacked if the person running the shop couldn't explain it to you. However if this helps for the plug:

(Remember BLue wire - bottom left pin, BRown wire - bottom right. Just keep the pins facing away from you!)

I think light fittings vary, but whatever you get will be labelled with what wire goes where.
Old 06-08-2008, 11:31 AM

Hey guys

After all that, it turns out that Triple 8 had done all the wiring for me. I'm so impressing with their customer service.

Sorry about that

I do have one more question though: How on Earth do I put the glass doors in (viv was already assembled).