Leopard Gecko Experts please help. - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Lizards

Old 10-09-2008, 06:46 PM
Super Regular
Send a message via MSN to Vitarajay
Default Leopard Gecko Experts please help.

Hi guys

Basicly im doing an assignment on Leopard Geckos - More specifically a leaflet outlining their breeding in captivity and its problems etc..

Now im not asking for the whole lot because im actually interested in learning but im finding it hard to find books around captivity breeding, all seems to be wild based. Im not ACTUALLY getting marked on this leaflet, Its to help those already enroled to pass the time while they sort the others. LOL..Problem is im a complete gecko virgin and havent got the slightest idea about anything about them.

So up to no i have found out and what i am not sure about.....
  • They are Asexual so breed via parthenogenesis (virgin birth) which means the females produce eggs without being fertilized.( whats the point in a male Gecko then?)
  • They lay one or two eggs every 2-4 weeks
  • eggs are white, soft and sticky when laid and if are to be incubated, need removing as soon as possible as once they have hardened they are impossible to move without cracking the egg shell.
  • infertile eggs go flat and turn yellow. (i thought all eggs were fertile as they didnt need to be fertilized by males??!!??)
  • Need to be incubated for 60-100 days and when they hatch they are 35-37mm long. ( what sort of temp are the incubated at?)
  • All are female when they hatch and are able to breed by the tim ethey are 6-8 months old. (this one im not sure about?!? if they are all female when they hatch where do males come from)
  • young are able to stay with mothers aslong as lots of hiding places are provided and varied and stable diet is produced to them
  • vivs are sprayed every 2 days to keep up humidity (what should the temp and the humidity be at on a daily basis)
So basicly im confused....Can anyone help???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2008, 06:52 PM
Super Citizen

the information you have is for the mourning gecko not leopard gecko
Old 10-09-2008, 06:54 PM
Hatchling

Hey,

Female Gecko's do produse the eggs without a male but the male does fertalize them. Also the eggs. The sex of the leopard gecko seems to be determined by the temperature at incubation.
Eggs incubated between 79-83 are generally female, 84-86 are about half of each sex, and above 87 are usually male.
Also The geckos should be around a year old and weigh at least 45 grams before you breed them. The breeding season for Leos runs from February to September, although you can mate them out of season it is advised to follow their natural breeding season as much as possible.
I hope this helps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2008, 06:58 PM
Gold Star Member
Send a message via Skype™ to Siman

Quote:
Originally Posted by orkmangeo View Post
Hey,

Female Gecko's do produse the eggs without a male but the male does fertalize them. Also the eggs. The sex of the leopard gecko seems to be determined by the temperature at incubation.
Eggs incubated between 79-83 are generally female, 84-86 are about half of each sex, and above 87 are usually male.
Also The geckos should be around a year old and weigh at least 45 grams before you breed them. The breeding season for Leos runs from February to September, although you can mate them out of season it is advised to follow their natural breeding season as much as possible.
I hope this helps
Its not purely determined BUT people use temps to try and make it that way, its semi-accurate and often works but isn't 100%

Leos should be over 50g's and closer to 60 before they are bred and I wouldn't think 45 would be good at all.

yay for super fast broadband
Old 10-09-2008, 07:00 PM
Ultra Citizen

Thats all wrong, sorry to say theres a lot of rubbish info going around, ill try and help you out im not the best with breeding but hopefully what i say is right

They arent asexual the males fertilize the eggs, but females can lay eggs without mating.

Eggs arent always fertile even if the female has mated, these tend to go yellow and flat after a while.

Incubation is around 40-60 days the lower the temps the longer the incubation, the temps are from 80-90F, 80-83 tends to be females 84-86 is mixed and 87-90 tends to be males.

The eggs harden after being laid but wont crack without a lot of pressure they are quite strong.

Hatchlings CAN NOT live with older ones as they are tiny! They should be in their own tubs, they dont need their mother for feeding and such they are independent when hatched.

They dont need high humidity and shouldnt be sprayed, although they do need a moist box/hide for laying eggs and shedding.

Females are ready to be bred when they are over a year of age and over 50-55grams in weight, males are ready earlier which is why they shouldnt be housed together at young ages.

They are born as male or female but it is difficult to tell until they are older and larger. Males will have a line of pores aobve their vent and obvs balls lol, females will have neither of these but sometimes have slightly visible pores but not as prominent as males.

Hopefully i have answered anything you wanted to know
Old 10-09-2008, 07:00 PM
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siman View Post
Its not purely determined BUT people use temps to try and make it that way, its semi-accurate and often works but isn't 100%

Leos should be over 50g's and closer to 60 before they are bred and I wouldn't think 45 would be good at all.
Haha ok your probs more experianced than me because i got the 45 from a website when i was learning about th leo's before i bought mine
Old 10-09-2008, 07:03 PM
Gold Star Member
Send a message via Skype™ to Siman

Quote:
Originally Posted by orkmangeo View Post
Haha ok your probs more experianced than me because i got the 45 from a website when i was learning about th leo's before i bought mine
lol, its cool dude, glad to see people helping out but I'd say that 45 is really too low for my liking as they're at that point pretty light and the weight loss they'd experience growing and laying the eggs may put them at risk if they can't regain enough weight on the second set. I work it at best to be plenty over (which is why I said close to 60 or above) so then I don't need to ram fatty foods down them in order for them to regain weight - Which I can't imagine would be very good for their health.

Although having said that some geckos are naturally small and just won't get to 60 lol but thats how I try and work it out

yay for super fast broadband
Old 10-09-2008, 11:12 PM
Super Regular
Send a message via MSN to Vitarajay

ok so all my info was total crap then LOL.. i think i have got the species mixed up somewhere...
whats the Latin name for the Leopard Gecko?
The Info i have is based around the lepidodactyluc Lugubris.. as daft as it sounds i presumed it was leopard gecko as it sounded similar....stupid i know.

So basicly i need to outline the breeding process. Im not going to be putting this into practice or anything it is strictly for research purposes only...

So Females Lay the eggs THEN the males fertilise them? or do they mate and then she will lay fertile eggs?

Do males and females need seperating at all other times?

When the eggs are laid and are furtile are they taken out and put into tubs and then into incubation?

kept in incubation at a certain temp for 40 - 60 days

Seperated from adults as babies due to small size and placed where?

on what sort of scale do they grow?
Old 10-09-2008, 11:28 PM
Gold Star Member

Eublepharis Macularius
Old 10-09-2008, 11:31 PM
Gold Star Member
Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heppy View Post
the information you have is for the mourning gecko not leopard gecko
that explains the answer to my question (where the hell did this info come from?)