rescued leopard gecko need help asap - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Lizards

Old 09-01-2009, 06:14 PM
Regular
Default rescued leopard gecko need help asap

hi guys, 2 days ago i rescued a leopard gecko that hasnt been eating.
she was in a viv with 3 others that were a lot bigger than her and i think possibly bullied her.

the problem i have is that shes VERY thin as is her tail, now i cant get her to eat live food so ive been making some cricket, waxworm and mealworm soup and syrynge feeding her just so shes got something inside her, she also likes baby food.
i wormed her today as i dont know if shes carrying any parasites, but i need some tips on how to get her to eat live food again, setup is as follows-
on her own in a 2 foot viv
substrate- kitchen roll
2 hides
water dish
dish with mealworms in
temps are
84 in hot end
74 in cool end
is this ok?
i'll get some pics up in a bit so you can see how skinny she is.
thanx in advance for your help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2009, 06:19 PM
Postaholic Member

hi i cant really be much help as i had 2 non feeders and in the end i gave them to a reptile rescue.. from the sounds of it it doesnt seem like itll have crypto but it might be due to bullying or stress

with my 2 i force fed them and they did put weight on but the process might have stressed them out even more but i did start seringe feeding ..

once i gave them to the reptile rescue they just left it with a few things moveing around like a mealworm beetle and a cricket or 2 just to keep it unstressed from feeding and to get stimulated by that and a few days after i dropped them off one was eating

these are just suggestions of what i was told to do .. it might just need time away from the others to not be as stressed and then it might start to eat ..
Old 09-01-2009, 06:29 PM
Premier Citizen
Send a message via MSN to ToxicSiren

Try this web site in my signature
x

http://specialgeckos.webs.com/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2009, 06:36 PM
Postaholic Member
Send a message via MSN to vickylolage

Add a bit of calypso calcium powder and things to the diet just to boost her back up.

If she has plenty places to hide I cant see a bother, or you could put her in a RUB more confined and she might feel more secure? Cant remember your list but she make sure shes got a moist hide

I hope shes ok! Glad someone responsible now has her!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid.lola View Post
Ha! Post-doggy queefs aren't embarrassing! They're like a satisfied belch after a good meal!
Old 09-01-2009, 06:38 PM
Premier Citizen

You wormed her cos you didn't know if she had worms???? Sorry, what did you use?

1... Probably parasites and or worms, but not all varieties are treated by the same medication, and you risk making her worse or difficult to treat by doing this....Only a vet doing a fecal sample will be able to tell what is wrong and give treatment accordingly...

You really need to see a vet asap, if you have any other reps you need to follow srict quarantine or risk your other reps health, the others she was housed with will need to be checked, so if they are someone elses YOU NEED TO TELL THEM...

The hot side could do with being 90 on the substrate....

EDIT: sorry if I sounded a little harsh, but its not the first time in the last couple of days that I've seen a rescue not get treated

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe - Albert Einstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkle View Post
i luffs u....and YA lizardss.. its legs hanging off really?? aww dont worry have a cuddle..its pooing bloood AWWWW dont worry here have a BIG HUG and aww its SO CUTE
ya liazardsss eye fell out??? awwww naww stick it in wiv da supahglue.. and have a HUGE SNOG...
no take it to da vet.. vets are da nasty people who will bleed u dry of da monies and no be nice to ya lizarrrd.. it dont need no vet ..
Old 09-01-2009, 06:42 PM
Postaholic Member

worming can actually make things 10 times worse..
if she doesnt have worms for example but something else uve very likely made her more ill than she was

please seek a vet ASAP.

good luck

1.1 snakes, 1.1 Kittys and some fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by abandonallhope View Post
- I doubt it but I live in hope.
Old 09-01-2009, 06:45 PM
Ultra Citizen

Ive rescued a few very skinny geckos so if you need anymore advice then add me to msn and i can talk you through what i did with mine if its any help

Here is one sucess story

Hope... - Livefood UK Forum

CB Reptiles Facebook Page...
Old 09-01-2009, 06:47 PM
Regular

sorry, she has a moist hide wich she uses frequently. also i do add calypso to the mixture aswell sorry meant to write that.
i wormed her as a precaution, i used beophar wormer(sp)
she did perk up after the worming and seemed more energetic
i wash my hands thoroughly after handling her as i dont want my other reps getting ill or catching parasites.

bosscat-
if i told the previous owners about worms theyd probably laugh about it, ill tell them anyway but it wont do much good.
i'll try bumping the temps and see how she does.

the other thing is her toilet is very runny, infact if i hadnt seen her do it id have thought she'd been sick bless her.

have a vet appointment booked for tomorow
Old 09-01-2009, 06:50 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcandy View Post
sorry, she has a moist hide wich she uses frequently. also i do add calypso to the mixture aswell sorry meant to write that.
i wormed her as a precaution, i used beophar wormer(sp)
she did perk up after the worming and seemed more energetic
i wash my hands thoroughly after handling her as i dont want my other reps getting ill or catching parasites.

bosscat-
if i told the previous owners about worms theyd probably laugh about it, ill tell them anyway but it wont do much good.
i'll try bumping the temps and see how she does.

the other thing is her toilet is very runny, infact if i hadnt seen her do it id have thought she'd been sick bless her.

have a vet appointment booked for tomorow
Glad you have the vets booked, chances are its parasites, you need to tell the vet what you have given her as this may affect treatment... without treatment she wil die...Once you have that sorted, we can then help with getting the weight back on her, bu thats the first step you need to take....

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe - Albert Einstein

Quote:
i luffs u....and YA lizardss.. its legs hanging off really?? aww dont worry have a cuddle..its pooing bloood AWWWW dont worry here have a BIG HUG and aww its SO CUTE
ya liazardsss eye fell out??? awwww naww stick it in wiv da supahglue.. and have a HUGE SNOG...
no take it to da vet.. vets are da nasty people who will bleed u dry of da monies and no be nice to ya lizarrrd.. it dont need no vet ..
Old 09-01-2009, 06:51 PM
Premier Citizen

If you got her off someone on here, would you mind PM'ing me the details?

Quote: