Beardies not eating :( - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Lizards

Old 31-01-2009, 06:56 PM
Regular
Unhappy Beardies not eating :(

about a week ago i bought a pair of bearded dragons, both around 4/5 months old. they both move plenty, enjoy basking and enjoy eachothers company. there bowl movements are regular and dont seem abnormal in anyway. however, i cant work out where its coming from because they dont seem to be eating much at all, im offering them mealworms, small crickets, and lots of different kinds of fruit and veg i offer it to them twice a day for half an hour at a time (im trying to get them into a routene). but they only seem to be eating 2/3 crickets a day, if that. all the temps are fine the basking area is around 115f and the warm end is around 85/90f (where they spend most of there time,droping at the cool end to around 70/80f theyv got a hide in the middle, fresh water, sticks to climb and plenty of rocks about the place. there currently on calsium sand, they have a 13w 10.0 uvb lamp which is about 7 inches away from them.
if anyone can help in anyway i would muchly apreciate it. thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 31-01-2009, 07:06 PM

your set up [with exception to the calcium sand] sounds ok and they appear to be acting mostly normally.
They may be eating as much as they wish to and that is that.
However at the age they should be eating more id think, is thier sand in thier poo as it comes out at all?
Old 31-01-2009, 07:22 PM
Regular

no sand what so ever,it all seems pretty normal. the male has just started shedding, so im guessing that this is a possible reason. but it still doesnt explain why the femail isnt eating either. iv been advised that my uvb lamp is too small though. iv got a 13w 10.0 uvb compact lamp. so im going to get a nwe strip light in the week and see what happens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 31-01-2009, 07:27 PM
Gold Star Member
Reviews: 5
Send a message via Skype™ to shell2909

i leave the veg in all day and take any left overs out at night, at least then they can munch on it whenever they want

Hatchling Wonder gecko for sale
http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forum...ing-leeds.html

Old 31-01-2009, 07:38 PM
Premier Citizen
Send a message via MSN to ToxicSiren

All sounds ok. Yer you deffo need a uv strip light as compacts are no good for beardies. You should try offer some different food. Maybe they are just bored of crix. Try offer some locus. Mine love em x

http://specialgeckos.webs.com/

Old 01-02-2009, 01:42 AM
Premier Citizen
Send a message via Yahoo to Paul B

Were they together when you got them??
they might be intimidating each other.
get rid of the calci sand
Play sand from Toys r us at £5.00 for 20kg
Try a wax worm or two or those wigetty grubs.

It could also be nothing and just the time of the year.

Ask how they were behaving before you got them.
(you might get an honest answer)

I have three 4 month year olds and they are all behaving differently.
Dont panic unecessarily. watch their weight.

P
Old 01-02-2009, 02:02 AM

When we first got our beardie we were told it may take 1-2 weeks before she started to eat properly.
this mainly was due too the change of vivs and surroundings in general.
And it wasnt far wrong she ate very little for the first week an still has times when she dont eat much.over time we learnt that she doesent mind black crix but really not keen on the brown ones.
As time has pasted (she 6 months now) we learned that the petshop kept her on hoppers til she was 16 weeks when we got her.

well we tried that out and got small hoppers for her and well she went nuts and didnt stop eating after that.she just loves them,we do mix from time too time giving black crix for about a week but she likes what she likes and she on hoppers almost full time now.

When they young dont think they always go for the veg til they ready,ours only the past month or so has really got the taste for it.

im not a pro keeper just going on my own experiences hope it helps.
Old 01-02-2009, 01:41 PM

im not certain but i think some of the compacts give off ok uv now..
the temps mentioned [115f bask] I presume is created using a standard basking bulb and the compact uv is nearby..this would be ok...however who knows for sure.
id add a uv tube aswell which would leave you with a viv with uv coverage with an added boost near the basking spot which is most natural and beneficial id imagine.

I doubt it has anyhting to do with your beardies not eating much however.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:45 PM
Regular

today i have god rid of the compact uvb bulb and upgraded to a 10.0 tube. i have noticed tho that the male as started to shead revealing some lovely vivid colours on his body. hes a lot more active now and eating lots, his tail and head however hav not shead yet and still look sandy and dull, the famale also is this dull and sandy all over, so im guessing that shes getting ready to shead. does anyone know how long they go off there food before they shead? and how long it takes to shead? or any other info about beardies sheading. thanks.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:48 PM
Regular

Just wanted to add, she very much likes to stick to the corners. dont know if thats something significent or just what she likes to do. cheers.