Some Leo questions - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Lizards

Old 04-02-2009, 05:14 PM
Default Some Leo questions

Just wondered if you could answer these for me!

How many leos do you own?
How much timedo they take?
How much time does it take up if you breed?
How much time do they take up if you are a rehomer/rescue?
How long did you keep Leos before you started breeding/rehoming?

Just interested as me and my oh have alway had a passion for geckos since we were kids and now we (I lol) have my Gok we are planning our little teenage dream of having a Leopard Gecko room and will be converting my home office into one.

I am torn though as part of me would love to rehome any that aren't wanted and/or are neglected or ill but I would also love to breed a few aswell.

Definately having more soon and have our eyes on a super snow at present and I'm hoping a certain local breeder will have some beauties soon that I can look at

Starting to breed silkworms next week too which makes food easier and cheaper and hopefully plenty to feed with!!!

So answers and thoughts on this please

Last edited by Misswhippy; 04-02-2009 at 05:20 PM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2009, 10:10 AM

Just a little bump!
Old 05-02-2009, 10:13 AM
Posting Deity

How many leos do you own? i think 25
How much timedo they take? all my geckos take in total about 2 hours...about 30 mins ish i guess (thats with 2 people, me and my brother)
How much time does it take up if you breed? alot! and money
How much time do they take up if you are a rehomer/rescue? alot, all my spare time in the eveningis is used on them, and the weekend is reptile days
How long did you keep Leos before you started breeding/rehoming? 9 years

Two arboreal Vivariums, pm me for more info!

Last edited by freekygeeky; 05-02-2009 at 10:26 AM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2009, 10:20 AM
Premier Member

How many leos do you own? 19 .. so far
How much timedo they take? about 2-3 hours every day ~ more on weekends
How much time does it take up if you breed? well my OH says he doesn't see much of me then plus as Freekygeeky says it also costs moneywise too
How much time do they take up if you are a rehomer/rescue? depends on the leo but again it can take a lot
How long did you keep Leos before you started breeding/rehoming? nearly five years before breeding, rehomed before though ~ my first leo was a rescue/rehomer ~ sadly didn't make it

Leopard Gecko and AFT Information, Care sheets, Health, Behaviour and much, much more.

*I'm a short, plump, grey-haired Grandmother ..... NOT a fella*
Understanding Leopard Gecko Behaviour
Research and read before you buy and breed!

Old 05-02-2009, 10:29 AM
Premier Citizen
Send a message via MSN to ToxicSiren

How many leos do you own? 6 so far maybe more specials on the way. Just lost 2 baby specials this week due to being very poorly when they arrived.
How much timedo they take? Lots. I give them lots of my time. Few hours a day depending on their needs.
How much time does it take up if you breed? Not sure yet as leos have not layed eggs yet. But lots of time to get equiptment right and researched for months.
How much time do they take up if you are a rehomer/rescue? Again lots if not all my time. I spend every day looking after them. I work sat and sun morning then bk to look after them. But all depends on their needs.
How long did you keep Leos before you started breeding/rehoming? Got my first special after 6 months but breeder we bought her off had not mentioned anything wrong with her. Till she arrived and we noticed she had MBD. After lots of research started taking in specials and love every minuite of it.

http://specialgeckos.webs.com/

Old 05-02-2009, 11:14 AM
Gold Star Member

I think its great what you've done with this questionaire thingy and you've gained alot of respect for doing this side of things first which alot of others dont!

I've got to say though i would choose one or the other (rehoming or breeding) as you can see with people replys it takes so much time!
For instance last night i was in the reptile room from 5 untill about 1 in the morning blitzing everything... okay it doesnt take that long usually, but i still spend 2-3hours in there every day, and thats through the winter without hatchlings.

The thing with rehoming you'll have to remember is that most of the leos you do rehome will require more care, time and money.

Breeding is the same, during the seasons peek times you will be extremely busy even if just breeding 1 or 2 females dont forget if all goes well you could have 16 or more hatchlings to feed from just one female.

Now dont think im trying to put you off because im not but i personally wouldnt do both, unless you've got space, alot of time and spare cash.

I think either would be just as rewarding though.

I hope it helps

MY BIGGEST WORRY IS THAT WHEN I DIE, MY MISSUS WILL SELL MY "TOY'S" AND REPTILES FOR WHAT I SAID I PAID FOR THEM.

Like my Facebook Page to keep up to date with availability and projects.
Old 05-02-2009, 12:14 PM
Super Regular

How many leos do you own? I own two. One large male and his daughter.

How much time do they take? Spot cleaning and changing water only takes 5 minutes, they're very clean animals and any mess is in exactly the same place so I have a couple of layers of kitchen towel I can just remove and replace. Feeding them, about the same. Full clean out of both vivs I can do in half an hour. I take them out most days and that can vary from 15 minutes to a few hours.

How much time does it take up if you breed?
I've only ever done that once. My male had been in with a female before, she wasn't interested in breeding with him (used to stand on his head if he so much as vibrated his tail) but he adored her. She started snuggling up beside him so long as there was no tail wagging going on. She got sick (kidney failure, vet reckoned it was a trait she'd had from birth) and died despite my best efforts. He spent days going from one hide to the next, to the next and went off his food. I bought another adult female and kept her in a viv next to his so they could see each other. He perked up a little just from that. I gradually introduced them and put them in together. They both seemed really happy to be around one another and I had two happy little geckos. No sign of breeding for several months so I just figured they weren't going to.
She laid a single infertile egg in January, I did note that it was a very big egg though. She then laid another egg on 14th February last year but I could see she still had another this time. She hadn't laid it in a couple of days so I took her to the vets. He xrayed her and said she had swallowed some sand (she was a very enthusiastic eater) too, and gave me laxatives to try to make her pass it and told me to force feed her babyfood at the same time because she wasn't eating. He figured she might be able to pass the egg if it wasn't for the sand.
She went drastically downhill, and five days into the week's course of laxatives, vitamins and babyfood I took her to the vets again. She died that day.
The egg I incubated in some damp vermiculite with moss in a ventilated plastic tub within a polystyrene box. I had a heat mat taped to the top and a thermostat attached set to 82F. I don't think the whole set up even cost me £20. I checked the egg and the moisture levels etc. every second day.
On the 8th April my partner found a little leopard gecko running around the moss with her dad's big eyes and her mum's colours. I was so happy I almost cried. I called her Valentine because of the day her mother laid the egg.
I've never attempted breeding since. I don't really feel the urge to. I've also always kept my leos on kitchen towel since too. I was told fine sand wouldn't cause impaction, but it does.
My apologies for the lengthy reply, but breeding isn't something I would enter in to lightly. I'm not saying don't do it, but the money isn't all you have to worry about.

How much time do they take up if you are a rehomer/rescue?
I've never done it so I don't know.

How long did you keep Leos before you started breeding/rehoming?
I'd probably been keeping them for about a year when I first put a male and female in a viv together. Around 2 years before I had a gravid female to deal with.