panther chameleons colourings - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Lizards

Old 18-03-2007, 09:43 PM
Default panther chameleons colourings

I was just wondering about panther chameleons colourings, i have looked on the internet and it dosent seem to tell me. Are all panther chameleons the same colourings or are they all different like a leopard gecko etc.. Say if you see a blue panther and then a picture of a orangy red panther are they different types or are they all the same and thats just the way the colourings change as to their mood or enviroment? I may sound stupid asking this and im not sure if i have explained it properly. I am looking into getting a panther in the future but they are expensive and i would like a real colourful one for the amount of money that i would be spending.. Also i know the colourings in the male and female differ but i was wondering how much.

Many thanks
em
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 19-03-2007, 12:43 PM
No Life Member
Send a message via MSN to welshgaz

ok shifted this into Lizards for you as you'll get more response there!

Panthers like all chameleons will change there colour dependant on mood and environment. Apparently the best way to bring out the colours in chameleons is to have a few within eye shot of each other. Say 2 males and one female. This way they will display colours to show off to the female and hopefully get the chance to mate!

Old 19-03-2007, 01:46 PM
5 Star Member

yes they colours vary by locale (area of madagascar they come from) by 'morph' by sex and by mood.

you can tell what locale a panther is by looking at the colours. for example a nosy be (the most common locale) is completely different from say an ankaramy. a nosy be being mostly blue with red and yellow colour range and an ankaramy being pink with blue. they are both panther chameleons but as different as chalk and cheese.

have a look here to get an idea

Panther Chameleon

they also vary within locales to a degree. so a nosy be can have slightly different colours i.e red or yellow eyes or more blue and less red on the body by individual yet the colour pattern tends to remain indentifiable to 'nosy be'.

they vary again by sex. the males exhibit the colours where most females are varying shades of pink (once again dependent on locale). also there is a change in colours with gravid females.

and once again by mood. as welshgaz has already said they will change their colours depending on mood and the satisfaction with their environment. this is a 'language' that once understood will enable you to understand your cham and give it what it needs. is the same for most chameleons...even those with limited colour changing abilities.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 19-03-2007, 03:13 PM

just something along the theme,i seen some babies for sale on preloved for £125 maybe someones on here ? (down south somewhere)
Old 19-03-2007, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by welshgaz View Post
ok shifted this into Lizards for you as you'll get more response there!

Panthers like all chameleons will change there colour dependant on mood and environment. Apparently the best way to bring out the colours in chameleons is to have a few within eye shot of each other. Say 2 males and one female. This way they will display colours to show off to the female and hopefully get the chance to mate!
Thanks for that dude

That has really helped BELIAL thank you you really should write a book on chameleons if you havent allready!! I think the ones that i have seen are either a Blue Nosy Be Panther or Ambanja Panther.
Old 19-03-2007, 10:22 PM
5 Star Member

getting round to it!!

ambanja are my favs...have a pair of diamond ambanja which are little stunners! bless em! also have several nosy be (among others!) nosy be are like classic panthers! they have been bred the longest and are the most common...still little stunners though!