Beardie wont come out its hide... - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Lizards

Old 23-02-2009, 09:10 PM
Default Beardie wont come out its hide...

Ok, I've had my pair of female beardies since mid dec, and had probs at beginning with the slightly smaller one eating but its ok now, i took them both out and put them in a tub for a while y i cleaned the viv out for them, put new tiles down and added some bits to it, and she hasnt come out her hide since then, 3 days ago and now I am starting to worry, what could this mean? Could it be because she was stressed being put in a tub or could it be the new tiles and bits in her viv ? or anything else? I think shes going into shed but she dont normaly hide, and the other beardie is fine still.

Any help would be really appreciated, thanks alot.
Reece.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 23-02-2009, 09:12 PM
Ultra Citizen

u shouldn't have hides in a BDs viv if their in it all the time else they wont get the UV they need :]
Old 23-02-2009, 09:15 PM

I never usually suggest pulling something from its hide, but here you should as the BD will not be getting UV and maybe miss food too, and just keep getting weaker.

Hiding could be anything to do with a recent stressful experience with the larger female, or even just her being there. Though it is most likely to do with her new surroundings, try taking her hide out for a while and monitor what happends, then take it from there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 23-02-2009, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxkakashixX View Post
u shouldn't have hides in a BDs viv if their in it all the time else they wont get the UV they need :]
In a vivarium any animal (especially housed with another) needs a hide, as in the wild they would simply run away if there were no hides around, but they are not in the wild here.
Old 23-02-2009, 09:19 PM
Ultra Citizen

oh ok...O.o i didnt know that...well he can hide in his plant pot :]
Old 23-02-2009, 09:24 PM
Ultra Citizen
Send a message via MSN to Joshuashaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB89 View Post
In a vivarium any animal (especially housed with another) needs a hide, as in the wild they would simply run away if there were no hides around, but they are not in the wild here.
That's nonsense, maybe somewhere secure, hidden and out of view but no piece of decoration in the viv of a beardie should have a roof where it blocks valuable rays.

Plumbing and heating supplies for sale (fittings, showers, bathrooms, taps, shower cubicles/screens, boilers etc.) PM me what you need and I'll see what I can do!
Old 23-02-2009, 09:24 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. It isn't to do with the bigger beardie, the smaller one is the dominant one i think, I recon its from taking her out of the viv and the new things in it. I'll remove the hides tonight when i turn their lights out, and see how she is tomorrow with it.she comes out to eat but runs back in after. doing my head in she is, hope nothing is wrong.

Thanks alot.
Old 23-02-2009, 09:36 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
Ok, I've had my pair of female beardies since mid dec, and had probs at beginning with the slightly smaller one eating but its ok now, i took them both out and put them in a tub for a while y i cleaned the viv out for them, put new tiles down and added some bits to it, and she hasnt come out her hide since then, 3 days ago and now I am starting to worry, what could this mean? Could it be because she was stressed being put in a tub or could it be the new tiles and bits in her viv ? or anything else? I think shes going into shed but she dont normaly hide, and the other beardie is fine still.

Reece.
I wouldn't have a hide in my viv, if you place wood, rocks in strategic way you can give your chaps hiding places that still exposes them to uv, but gives them some security.

Here's a pic of mine hiding under a peace of wood, however he is still exposed to reflected uv.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxkakashixX View Post
You're quite right hun.

Jay
Old 23-02-2009, 09:41 PM
Gold Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post

Reece.
seperate them, and get rid of hides etc, it could be brumation but the are starting to warm up now, but each house is differant...
Old 23-02-2009, 09:52 PM

now I'm relieved. Just gone to remove the hides and found her clung on behind one, and all her skins hanging off. Obviously it was a shed thats been bothering her. That must of been the problem. I've took the hide out anyway and she's now basking on some rocks. I'm not seperating them though, they are fine together.

thanks for the help guys.