Reptile Forums banner

I Can Not Decide Between A Bearded Dragon Or A Crested Gecko!!?!!?!

4K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  Courtz&Robert 
#1 ·
Mum and Dad have given me the go ahead to get a lizard, but i can not decide between a bearded dragon or a crested gecko! it is doing my head in, i have been thinking about it non-stop for AGES and still i cant decide. i had decided Bearded Dragon, but the woman in the pet shop started talking to me about Cresteds and now i cant decide agin :( HEEELLLP!

#2 ·
i could help but i like both so cant choose LOL! this is one hard decision but it basically comes down to your preference amount of space you have and ready for elec bill if go for beardy and the food costs but both are friendly and come in diff colour morphs:Na_Na_Na_Na:nather you then me to have to decide as i have both:2thumb:

#4 ·
beardies! they love to be handled and are awake during the day, unlike other lizards

#5 ·
Well do you want something to handle, watch, or for display?

#7 ·
Cresties are very cheap to maintain on cgd and have great personalities (but then again so do beardies lol). Its a hard choice, but i'd go for a crestie as they need less space, no heating, dont need live food, and are cheaper to maintain (generally).

Ed : victory:

#8 ·
I can't tell you which is best as I don't have a crestie yet :D But from personal experience I would say beardie, just incredibly lovely lizards, full of personality and very cuddly (well mine is. :D Climbs all the way up me when he's out just to sleep on my chest or shoulder and loves attention). But then again I am also getting a crestie as they seem awesome too! So beg for both lol :D

If you are planning on something to handle though I would say a beardie. not just because of their great nature but they are very hardy and will tollerate mistakes but geckos tend to be small fragile little things.

Good luck!

#10 ·
Bearded dragon! Yes they are cheap to buy and yes set ups can be expensive, but so can any set-up depending how far you go with them.

Ours is very friendly and loving, and great to watch!

#11 ·
I've never kept a beardie but I'm not so keen on them, I'm not sure why. I do have a Crestie and he's lovely, quite friendly and enjoys coming out of the viv for a play as long as he's allowed to climb over you and not be restrained in your hands. I agree with comments about Cresties being fairly fragile; they also like to jump, which means that handling is something you'll need to get used to. Other lizards - including Beardies - are more straight forward maybe as they only crawl around, you don't have to worry about where it'll want to leap next! LOL

But there are pros and cons with both. I decided on the Crestie and haven't regretted it, but compared to a ground-dwelling lizard, it's been a slight learning curve. The boy needs to jump and climb a bit!

I want to say, 'Get a Crestie!' but wanted to give you a balanced opinion. Is this your first lizard? If Beardies floated my boat, I would've considered one as my first. They just didn't. Our first lizard was a Leopard Gecko, another good choice. You've got a gecko - if you like geckos - but none of the unpredictable jumping of a Crestie, they're relatively easier to get out and handle.

#12 ·
Thanks a lot everyone, but ive decided to go for a bearded dragon. - for now -. meaning that when mum and dad have seen that im responsible with a pet, then i can persuade them to let me buy a crestie. (as they would be buying the beardie lol :)), and i can buy the cheaper one :)
Thanks a lot for all of your help and advice, much appreciated, :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.