Beardies do not need heat mats!!!!! - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Lizards

Old 12-05-2009, 12:33 PM
Hatchling
Default Beardies do not need heat mats!!!!!

Okay folks this debate has been done a million times already.

But im sick of greedy shop owners sprouting they are The Best and selling new Beardie owners heat mats! This is a con for more money. Then slagging off other reputable shops for not doing so

In the wild Beardies get their heat from the sun - the earth obviously heats up as a byproduct of the suns heat. This does not mean they need heat mats.

You run the risk of burning your beardie who will not realise they are overheating

Well, do you agree or disagree
1.1.0 CB 07 Beardies
1.1.0 CB 08 Royal Pythons
1.1.0 CB 07 White Lipped Pythons
1.1.0 CB 07 Green Tree Pythons
0.1.0 Common Boa & 0.1.0 Mex' Milksnake
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2009, 12:35 PM
Ultra Citizen

i agree, none of my beardies have heat mats as the temps dont drop enough at night for the need of them.

Old 12-05-2009, 12:35 PM
Super Regular
Default heat mats

not needed for beardies
1 texas white sided rat snake "hammond"
1 baby bearded dragon"yoda"
1 adult male beardy "riker"
1 adult female beardy "troi"
1 adult leopard gecko "lenny"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2009, 12:39 PM
Super Regular

Look, by you guys its really a lot colder than here by me, but even in winter (which it is now) by me, they need their heat mat!

The lights in beardies vivs, do not raise the heat enough for them, so the heat mat helps!

If the temps are correct, you cannot overheat them, and you will also notice they stay away from the warm side of their viv all the time, if it is too hot!

My heat mat is off during summer, (unless its a cold day) as their proper heat is obtained without it, but in winter it must be on, or else they are too cold!

So therefore, it is a necessity if the temps that lights provide are too low, which in most cases, they are!

As well as many poor little rescue reps whom I "restore" and send to happy homes!

On the way before the end of the year!
* Uromastyx * Gargoyle Gecko * Another Frill Dragon

Old 12-05-2009, 12:43 PM
Postaholic Member
Send a message via MSN to vickylolage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptypet View Post
Look, by you guys its really a lot colder than here by me, but even in winter (which it is now) by me, they need their heat mat!

The lights in beardies vivs, do not raise the heat enough for them, so the heat mat helps!

If the temps are correct, you cannot overheat them, and you will also notice they stay away from the warm side of their viv all the time, if it is too hot!

My heat mat is off during summer, (unless its a cold day) as their proper heat is obtained without it, but in winter it must be on, or else they are too cold!

So therefore, it is a necessity if the temps that lights provide are too low, which in most cases, they are!
I personally ahve never used a heatmat HOWEVER I know a few people who, when they switch the heat bulbs off on a night ahve a mat on so the beardies dont get too cold. I think whatever works best for each individual. If you find things are better with a mat then keep doing as you are.

The only thing I must say is heat mats are unnecessary during the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid.lola View Post
Ha! Post-doggy queefs aren't embarrassing! They're like a satisfied belch after a good meal!

Old 12-05-2009, 12:44 PM
Super Regular

my beardies are on a heatbulb and the temp is fine in there for them, they dont need a heat mat aswell i dont want to cook them.
and if your heatbulb isnt providing enough heat get a higher wattage!

Old 12-05-2009, 12:45 PM

I also use a heat mat at night to keep the temps up, i never use it during the day tho =]

Old 12-05-2009, 12:49 PM
Default heat mat

i was told they are fine 2 use on a night if ya temps drop really low and 2 put 1 on the out side of the bk wall of the viv just 2 keep temps up for night time but i wud never use 1 on the floor in side of the viv for my beardie as i here tht it can cause serous damage 2 there bellys if over heated

Old 12-05-2009, 01:03 PM
Super Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
and if your heatbulb isnt providing enough heat get a higher wattage!
Personally, I cant get a higher wattage, as my one beardie thinks that she's spiderman, and climbs up the walls, and has a tendency to climb on the bulb, and hang there. I put a guard around it, and she managed to get it off, (i do put it back, but she still gets t off) so a higher wattage would be lethal to her!

Not so sure what to do about that problem...

As well as many poor little rescue reps whom I "restore" and send to happy homes!

On the way before the end of the year!
* Uromastyx * Gargoyle Gecko * Another Frill Dragon

Old 12-05-2009, 01:13 PM
Gold Star Member

use a better guard/screws and/or get a ceramic for the night time temps... what size viv do you have? if she is climbing toward the heat bulb she is obviously wanting the heat?
bellaloux likes this.

Leopard Geckos - 5.10.0 - Lance, Thor, Gonzo, Magnus, Blaze, Emmi, Elektra, Faith, Tarene, Kenco, Digit, Harmony, Eryn, Daisy, Aine,
Bearded Dragons - 3.0.0- Dave, Tilly, Mylo
Oliver's Mummy