Newbie Bearded dragon advice please - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Lizards

Old 30-05-2009, 11:20 PM
Super Regular
Default Newbie Bearded dragon advice please

Hi All,

Firstly great site, i have already answered most of the questions i had just from a 30 min read of various threads.

I'm Sorry if this had been asked before, but i had a quick search around and couldn't really find an answer.

I'm definately going to be getting a Baby bearded within the next 3-4 weeks (once i am happy i have enough information to ensure it is well cared for). And have a couple of quick questions regarding viv's.

1. What size viv should i go for?

As one shop said a 24"x18'x18' and upgrade as it grows and another said buy a 4'x2'x2' straight off, as more space will make for a healthier pet.

2. Which type of viv is the best, all glass or wood and glass?

I have seen the exo-terra in one of my local reptile shop and they said they are the best and to go for one of them. However my other local reptile shop uses melamine (sp?) viv's with sliding glass doors on the front and says they are the best.

If possible could people post links or names of the viv's they use and reccomend?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Andi Mack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 30-05-2009, 11:24 PM
Super Citizen

My young beardie is in a 3 x 1.5 x 1.5 but will probs end up getting a bigger one when hes grown

Not sure if there ok in a massive tank from the word go but im sure someone can answer your question

Old 30-05-2009, 11:28 PM
Ultra Citizen

Firstly, good luck with your bd, they will bring you hours of asmusment.

As for the viv, wooden ones are better for maintaining the heat, so i would suggested those. Size wise if the viv is too big it can sometimes scare the bd and make it difficult. If you go for the 4ft viv, then feed the bd in a tub so they can catch the food easier, also add lots off items in the viv to give the bd plenty to climb on and the bigger one will be fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 30-05-2009, 11:31 PM
Ultra Citizen
Reviews: 6
Send a message via MSN to ..:: F1D0 ::..

a beardie going straight into a 4ft viv , i would not recommend - this is my preference and from personal experience as the beardie feels a little lost at times. One thing you can do though is go on the size of viv they are already in. If they are in a 4ft then ok, they will not be as stressed.

Wooden vivs work best for beardie, with glass as it does not keep the heat as good as wood, you would need to insulate the inside, not only that but they can become very stressed with an all open area and as your beadie grows like mine does now with a poster, they see an image of open space and they will try to get at it, Helio used to run at the poster ground i have, so running direct at a glass wall could hurt your beardie.

Thirdly, if the beardies are not in a 4ft viv already, i would strongly suggest going for a 3ft. I know a foot does not seem a lot to us, but for a baby beardie it is.

p.s - good to see you asking these sort of questions, at least your beardie will be well looked after.
Old 30-05-2009, 11:41 PM
Super Citizen

I put my baby in a 3ft viv and he was fine but 6 months down the line i needed a 4ft viv and a larger uv light. If you can get him in a bigger one it would be better, just make sure he can find the heat and food but in the wild they must survive in big spaces.
Old 30-05-2009, 11:42 PM
Super Regular

Thanks for the replies,

In one shop there are 10 in a 4ft wooden viv and in the other there are 4 in a two foot glass exo terra viv (corn snake on the left in the same size/type viv and a wooden viv on the right filled with crickets, locusts meal worms etc).

From the replies i think i'll go for a 3ft wooden viv and buy a larger one once it's got older / bigger.

F1D0> The most important thing for me is to ensure i know as much as possible before i get one to ensure it's well cared for. I'm a big animal lover and really hate it when people don't care for thier pets properly.
Old 30-05-2009, 11:50 PM
Ultra Citizen
Reviews: 6
Send a message via MSN to ..:: F1D0 ::..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andi Mack View Post
Thanks for the replies,

In one shop there are 10 in a 4ft wooden viv and in the other there are 4 in a two foot glass exo terra viv (corn snake on the left in the same size/type viv and a wooden viv on the right filled with crickets, locusts meal worms etc).

From the replies i think i'll go for a 3ft wooden viv and buy a larger one once it's got older / bigger.

F1D0> The most important thing for me is to ensure i know as much as possible before i get one to ensure it's well cared for. I'm a big animal lover and really hate it when people don't care for thier pets properly.
Im the same, i think i started to piss people off with the amount of leo gecko questions i was asking lol
Old 30-05-2009, 11:54 PM
Super Regular

lol, i'll probably be doing the same, so my apologies to all in advance.
Old 31-05-2009, 12:18 AM
Gold Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andi Mack View Post
I read that they can grow half an inch a week, so they do grow fast!

So the 3ft viv might not last so long.

At least you can stick a corn in it or something afterwards though
Old 31-05-2009, 12:52 AM
Super Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by excession View Post
At least you can stick a corn in it or something afterwards though
I Wish!! It's taken me 3 years to get the wife to aggree to me getting a beardie.

Ater she aggreed, i got told in no uncertain terms that i was only allowed one and don't even think of asking for a snake / spider etc after you have got the lizard.

Hmm, i might go for a 4' and block a foot of it off till it grows.

you, you've got me all confused now.