Gecko setup...thoughts & gecko options - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Lizards

Old 08-03-2006, 12:42 PM
Regular
Default Gecko setup...thoughts & gecko options

Ok guys & gals, I'm just started building my first viv ,

I managed to get a 26 inch long by 14 inch high by 12 deep fishtank with stand & wooden hood, I've also ordered a heat mat & thermostat, the tank will be lit by natural light but not in full sunlight & will have a moonlight night light on a timer 12 hours a day, the tank with have slate chippings with some mopani wood in a corner that will have moss inside thats kept damp for shedding & comfort as the woods very intrestingly hollowed out with several places for its new owner to relax in. I have spent time removing as much sharp & pointy bits of wood as possible to ensure its safe, but I'm going to go over the iside of it with sandpaper to make sure its very safe & cosy. Are there any natural plants that geckos can have that won't destroy or fling themselves off ?

I"ll also have some cork hides for them to sneak away in.The tank will be well ventilated as the glass sliding cover will be removed from the top of the tank & replaced with a mesh one.

Now with regards to geckos I'm looking at either leopard or crested or other types, I realise that crested are aboreal & like height but I"m sure with some carefull arrangement of the decorations it would be habital.

Bearing in mind this setup is for one lucky gecko .. Your thoughts are very much appreciated.

James
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2006, 04:36 PM
Forum Citizen

firstly you would need to use some backing paper or something to block off three sides of the glass tank. if the reptile can see out on all sides it can feel very insecure and get stressed. the tank is not tall enough to house a crestie and sounds like you have made it a kind of tropical set up which would probably be a bit too humid for a leo.

i recon that the set up sounds more suitable for a pictus gecko (paredura pictus). there a bit more difficult to keep than a crestie or a leo but not by much. the young'uns just need a load of calcium else then can develop mbd (metabolic bone desiese). they dont get as big as a crestie or leo so it would have more space too.
14 Yrs Experience
Breeder of over 5000 reptiles of 70+ Species

18 Updown Hill, Windlesham, Surrey, GU20 6AF
01276 423137
Old 08-03-2006, 06:05 PM
Regular

Cheers for the reply ace, I forgot to put the comment on about back I"m off to get some after work tonight before I pick up the tank etc, I'm only going to have some moss inside the mopani wood as opposed to have a plastic tub with it in, this bit of moss will be kept damp to aid shedding.

The viv will not be that humid as the lid will be well ventilated.

I'm intrested in the pictus gecko, I"ll have to look at the care sheets, I'll be having a small bottle top that will be freshly toppped up with calcium powder daily.

James
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2006, 06:20 PM
Forum Citizen

well if its not going to be too humid id stick to a leo. sorry misunderstood your last post. but increase the humidity a bit and pictus could go back to being an option as they like it more humid than leos.
14 Yrs Experience
Breeder of over 5000 reptiles of 70+ Species

18 Updown Hill, Windlesham, Surrey, GU20 6AF
01276 423137
Old 08-03-2006, 08:42 PM

the fact that the slate is dry so the only area of damp would be hide, i would say perfect for leopard gecko, you didnt say is hide at hot end needs to be for humid hide and you also want another dry hide at cool end, as for plants i use fake ones but i think any spineless cactus and a ficus (fig)not sure on spelling) these sorts should be fine, be careful with live plants though as you dont want to raise humidity to much for leo...also when ther young you dont want to many as crick hide in them so makes it difficult for your new baby to catch...