Lizard Care - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Lizards

Old 17-10-2009, 08:07 PM
Regular
Post Lizard Care

Hello all,

I have created a new blog called Lizard Care. I would greatly appreciate it if any of you could provide feedback about the site. Like if should change something or add something, anything. I am hoping to make this a very helpful website blog. Thank You!

Lizard Care
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 18-10-2009, 12:33 AM

Reviews: 20

I don't want to seem unnecessarily harsh, but I have noticed a number of things on your site that concern me:

In the Leopard gecko care sheet, the supplementation section suggest you use a calcium and D3 supplement every day for juveniles and 5 days in every 7 for an adult. This level of vitamin D3 will not allow the gecko the chance to self regulate calcium metabolism and has the potential to lead to calcification of soft tissue, one of the common forms of MBD. Vitamin D3 in the diet should be strictly controlled (or better still directly controlled by the animal), I would suggest that you think about this a little more fully.

The feeding a sick gecko also concerns me a little. You say it is "VERY" important you feed the animal, in this case by syringe. My concern here is that you do not mention taking the animal to the vet for diagnosis, or that force feeding any animal should be a last resort. In my experience attempting to force feed an animal that has not been correctly diagnosed and treatment prescribed will lead to further problems. Personally I would prefer that this type of advice were only given out by a vet.

Andy
Old 18-10-2009, 01:21 AM
Regular

Thank you for your response, I will change the d3 situation. I had a leopard gecko that had mbd and was used to giving it calcium with d3 everyday. sorry for the misunderstanding.

as with the force feeding, that is to only hold the owner over until he can get the leopard gecko to a vet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 18-10-2009, 01:27 AM
Forum Citizen

ok not to be funny but correct me if wrong

here goes havnt read everything yet but up to yet

40 gallon breeder enclosure but larger is always better 8ft ok???

A bearded dragon's basking spot should range between 100-110 degrees farenheight for baby bearded dragons to sub-adults and 95-100 degrees farenheight for adults.
babys to adults will range from 105f-115f

dont mean to be funny

RFUK Member No: 2061

Old 18-10-2009, 01:29 AM
Forum Citizen

An alternative to dubia roaches are crickets. and locusts?

RFUK Member No: 2061

Old 18-10-2009, 04:10 AM
Regular

Im from the USA, im not familiar with locusts. No one has anything good to say?
Old 18-10-2009, 11:43 AM

Reviews: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by switchitup813 View Post
Thank you for your response, I will change the d3 situation. I had a leopard gecko that had mbd and was used to giving it calcium with d3 everyday. sorry for the misunderstanding.

as with the force feeding, that is to only hold the owner over until he can get the leopard gecko to a vet.

IF the force feeding is only a hold over until you can see the vet then I cannot advise against it enough. A leopard gecko would be able to go many weeks without food, and so one or two days is not a problem. I would really recommend putting in a paragraph about getting it to the vets, and then make the caveat that force feeding is only to be done with advice from the vet.

Andy
Old 18-10-2009, 12:27 PM
Super Citizen

"Lizard Care will be the only stop your going to have to make on the internet to find out information for lizard care."

Your should be you're as it really means "you are". A spelling/grammar error on the home page would make me think you don't know what you're talking about and I'd go and look at another site, without even looking to see if your advice and information is good or not.

Also, it seems like bad advice to say to your audience "don't look anywhere else for information, it's all here." There are many different opinions on aspects of lizard care, and I would recommend to anybody researching anything to use different sources and gain a variety of opinions. (It may be the ex-history student in me!) I can't help thinking that you're setting yourself up for a fall by inferring that you know everything your reader wants to find out....

General Reptile Information bit:
Why not put a sub-heading such as "Some interesting facts about reptiles", rather than launching straight into some big words and meanings which doesn't make for interesting general reading about reptiles. You could probably add some more too to help it read better, such as things like:
  • Most reptiles lay eggs, although some are live-bearers (list some)
  • The largest lizard is.... the smallest lizard is..... The longest snake in captivity is.... etc
  • People have been keeping reptiles as pets for X amount of years
Write things that show you are knowledgeable about reptiles, not things that make you sound like you have just read a few facts and added them to your website.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but at the moment the website doesn't give the impression that you know your subject especially well. I have only looked at a few pages, but they didn't encourage me to read more.

On the positive side, it is laid out clearly and is easy to navigate.
Hope that helps.

Tags
care , lizard