Reptile Forums banner

Is this wise???

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  willo85 
#1 ·
Im hopefully goin to pick up a beardie and an american plated lizard on thursday. They guy im gettin them off has said they come together in a 4x2x2 and have always lived together in the same viv. I currently keep snakes and have a beardie in the past but not too sure whether its wise to keep the two together.
Any ideas anyone? cheers

#3 ·
A clue in the names might suggest they have different care requirements: American plated lizard, and a beardie from Australia. Saying that, I suppose some areas of Australia may be similar to some areas of America (I've never been to either country, so couldn't comment with any accuracy at all, but since they are both such big places, the climate will be very varied depending on where abouts you are and the time of year.) I suggest you find out more about exactly where these animals are found in the wild, and what temperature, humidity and landscape requirements are for both these lizards before you go any further in thinking about housing them together. Even if their habitat is similar, it may still be unwise to consider it if there are issues with size and if they are solitary animals etc. I don't know enough about either lizard to be any help on this! Bamboozoo has some community vivs (an interesting website too) and may be able to give you some guidance.

#5 ·
Cheers guys thanks for the advice. I know that keeping the same species of snake can be problematic so was concerned to hear that two different species of lizard could be kept together. i knew that they had similar requirements but still wasnt sure as to whether they could be kept together. Matt cheers for that mate will probably end up seperating them eventually so that i can breed beardies but good to know that for the time being theyre ok together.
regards

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.