Live Crickets vs Canned Crickets - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Lizards

Old 01-01-2010, 08:08 PM
Super Citizen
Default Live Crickets vs Canned Crickets

Im due to get my first bearded dragon early this year and ive stumbled upon a moral dilemma. I know beardies are generally fed live crickets but is there anyone here who uses tinned crickets? I must say i feel slightly uncomfortable with the thought of feeding my lizard live crickets. Did anyone else experience this? and what do you think of using canned crickets and vibrating feeding dish.

Thanks

Darwin (1.0.0) orange x citrus bearded dragon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2010, 08:24 PM
Premier Citizen

Hi,

I was the same, I hate spiders, but I can't bare to kill them, I think all creatures have a right to live, but then I eat meat!?

I reason that I'm higher up the food chain than a cow, so it's ok, the same aplys to beardies, they are higher up the food chain than crickets. You will get used to it, but if you can't then I would sugest a different animal. Cresties are great, and I only feed mine live once a week.

But I would stear clear of caned crix, there isn't much nutrition in a live gut loaded cricket, let alone a dead canned one

Jay
Old 01-01-2010, 08:31 PM
Premier Citizen
Send a message via MSN to Griff2294

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabba1967 View Post
Hi,

I was the same, I hate spiders, but I can't bare to kill them, I think all creatures have a right to live, but then I eat meat!?

I reason that I'm higher up the food chain than a cow, so it's ok, the same aplys to beardies, they are higher up the food chain than crickets. You will get used to it, but if you can't then I would sugest a different animal. Cresties are great, and I only feed mine live once a week.

But I would stear clear of caned crix, there isn't much nutrition in a live gut loaded cricket, let alone a dead canned one

Jay
Sort of agree with this(can't completely agree because I only got my beardie yesterday and I still feel a bit bad lol), when I was looking at getting my first snakes I thought I would feel really bad about feeding the mice/rats/multi's, but you do get used to it. It's weird actually, I felt bad when I picked up a fresh killed multi for my non-eating cali king, but then I considered it is sort of the same as just getting a frozen one.. I think I will get used to feeding the live food, but you do notice, the deaths of the bugs are very quick and I also doubt that there brains have the ability to really know what is going on
R.I.P Poppy - August 08 - July 30th 09

This is the best video in the world - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xj0t1CHnuqE

Steve Irwin, all time hero.. RIP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2010, 08:35 PM
Crestie Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff2294 View Post
Sort of agree with this(can't completely agree because I only got my beardie yesterday and I still feel a bit bad lol), when I was looking at getting my first snakes I thought I would feel really bad about feeding the mice/rats/multi's, but you do get used to it. It's weird actually, I felt bad when I picked up a fresh killed multi for my non-eating cali king, but then I considered it is sort of the same as just getting a frozen one.. I think I will get used to feeding the live food, but you do notice, the deaths of the bugs are very quick and I also doubt that there brains have the ability to really know what is going on
Yeah most insects don't feel pain, they lack nerve endings (or so I have heard)
Oh and canned crickets are rubbish, at first you may hate live crickets etc. but you lean to cope locusts or dubai's are another alternative
Old 01-01-2010, 08:49 PM
Super Citizen

Ive researched and apparantly the canned crickets im looking at are prepared so they have the same nutritional value as live crickets. Feeding dead mice to a snake wouldnt bother me, sending crickets to their death kinda does bother me, regardless of how insignificant of an animal they are. Im getting a beardie, theres no changing that. Im just trying to consider all possibilities. I want the best for my beardie, its my responsibility to give it the best life i can, i suppose if that means feeding it live crickets then im just going to have to deal with that. Just doesnt sit right with me.

Old 01-01-2010, 08:53 PM
Crestie Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Lily View Post
Ive researched and apparantly the canned crickets im looking at are prepared so they have the same nutritional value as live crickets. Feeding dead mice to a snake wouldnt bother me, sending crickets to their death kinda does bother me, regardless of how insignificant of an animal they are. Im getting a beardie, theres no changing that. Im just trying to consider all possibilities. I want the best for my beardie, its my responsibility to give it the best life i can, i suppose if that means feeding it live crickets then im just going to have to deal with that. Just doesnt sit right with me.
I know how you feel, I hate killing things, the way I see it, give them a great life where they are fed nice food beardies eat live insects in the wild and I think it is only right to feed them live in captivity as mental stimulation
Old 01-01-2010, 08:56 PM
Ultra Citizen
Reviews: 13

In order to give your beardie the best life it desurves you will have to feed live crickets because you need to stimulate natural behavour in your beardie i.e hunting for its dinner, just think how boring it could get in that viv all day with nothing to hunt or really do. im sorry to be so blunt about it but its true. =]

Contact me on [email protected]
Old 01-01-2010, 09:11 PM
Super Citizen

I appriciate all your honest replies. I think ultimately i will be able to get use to using live crickets, i just have to look at in in respect to the food chain. I think the main reason im finding it difficult is the fact that im a nurse and obviously im working with people and not animals, but its hard to drop the mentality of do no harm, even when it comes to crickets lol. Im sure ill be fine.

Old 01-01-2010, 09:14 PM
Premier Citizen
Send a message via MSN to Griff2294

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Lily View Post
I appriciate all your honest replies. I think ultimately i will be able to get use to using live crickets, i just have to look at in in respect to the food chain. I think the main reason im finding it difficult is the fact that im a nurse and obviously im working with people and not animals, but its hard to drop the mentality of do no harm, even when it comes to crickets lol. Im sure ill be fine.
I'm finding it hard to get used to crickets, mainly because they scare the out of me
R.I.P Poppy - August 08 - July 30th 09

This is the best video in the world - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xj0t1CHnuqE

Steve Irwin, all time hero.. RIP
Old 01-01-2010, 09:14 PM
Ultra Citizen
Reviews: 13

After a while you won't worry too much but i still feel bad if i accidently take ones leg off or something!

Contact me on [email protected]