Please help!!! Newbie!! Bearded Dragon Help and advice needed - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Lizards

Old 15-01-2010, 02:55 PM
Egg
Send a message via MSN to Roxy77ty
Default Please help!!! Newbie!! Bearded Dragon Help and advice needed

Hi Guys and girls,
I am looking to get my first Beardie in the next few months after absolutely falling in love with them!!
The problem is I have read countless care sheets and websites and the advice differs everywhere.
Can someone please help me with advice on well everything??!! lol
Correct sized viv
Lighting?
Correct heating and thermostat
Feeding - live or canned, which vegetables and fruit are safe?
Handling - when I first bring him home should I leave him for a few days - how much should he come out of his viv
Plants / rocks in the viv - what is safe
Substrate or newspaper in the viv - heard they can swallow substrate..

Hope to hear from you guys!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 15-01-2010, 03:06 PM
Premier Citizen
Send a message via Yahoo to Paul B

Hi

this answer could go on for pages.

can i suggest you Google "bearded dragon care" and then post on here all the questions you have where the information is not clear.

i am sure there are care sheets on here too.

Welcome anyway.

P
Old 15-01-2010, 03:13 PM
Super Regular

well congrats on getting your first beardy
right the vivarium should be no shorter than 2 or 3 ft depending on the size of your beardy.
lighting you should have a 10.0 uv tube. repti glow ones are the best.
a 100w basking bulb is ideal.
a decent thermostat is ideal, habistat ones are good.
feeding- you can feed them live locusts & crickets (mealworms & waxworms- but only as a treat every now and again- not ideal for everyday feed)
veg- NOT ICEBURG LETTUCE! anything from cucumber, carrot, curly cale, rocket, dandelion, grapes, apple. there is a webisite on a sticky about food. its highly recommended.
handling- when you first get your beardy leave him for a week to settle in, he may not eat which is normal. after a week get him out for 10 minutes or so and just let him explore. after a cuple weeks he'll willingly come out and play.
plants and rocks- in my eyes fake plants arnt ideal as mine has started to eat them :S a basking rock is ideal so your beardy can get close to the basking lamp. i have a stand in which my beardy can climb upto and she loves in.
substrate- well alot of people have many different opinions. wood chipping and calci sand are a no no! i have snake substrate in mine, as if she eats any it will pass straight through her. its just like straw really. or theres newspaper, slate & sand but if your putting sand in be careful as some have chemicals.
any thing else just email me good luck with your new beardy
1.1.1 Bearded Dragon Aka Bam Bam,Jam Jam & Lil Man
0.1.0 Mexican Black Kingsnake
1.0.0 Black Rat Snake Aka Frank
1.0.0 Green Iguana Aka Wilson
RIP Nelson Milksnake, Beefy The Gecko, Tiny Tim The Pink Toe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 15-01-2010, 03:33 PM
Egg
Send a message via MSN to Roxy77ty
Default Beardy

Hey guys,
Thank you so much for the advice Steph!!! Thats all so helpful, theres so much conflicting information on the various website caresheets I've looked at!
I'll keep you posted with my progress on getting my first beardy as I'm sure I'll have lots more questions!!

Thank you too Paul - one thing I did want to ask about the feeding was that one caresheet stated that canned or 'complete' beardy food was just as good as Crickets / locusts - is this true? Just wondering as I'm a little unsure about picking those critters up - but if they are best obviously I'll get used to it!! lol!

Also can anyone suggest a good place / breeder to get my beardy from as I'm a littel dubious about ones from my local petshop, as I've heard a few bad stories. I live in ashford, near heathrow but willing to travel for the right pet...Thank you
Old 15-01-2010, 03:49 PM
Premier Citizen
Send a message via Yahoo to Paul B

Hi

In my opinion canned insects stink and the dragons dont like them. they tend to react to moving targets and not ones that are laying dead.

You could use them like croutons on the veggies but i am sure once you open the can you will realise what i am saying.

Plus they must have some form of preservative in them...is this good for the dragon ?

Re the viv size: You are going to need a 4x2x2 viv once the dragon is adult size (12 months) so you are better off getting it to start with.

there is a lot to be said for buying a juvenile dragon too (4 months plus)as they will be established eaters and likely to be eating their veggies which will reduce the food bill.

Dont get talked into buying two as you are likely to need to separate them.

Now to the rub..As you can see i am a retailer and have some nice dragons in stock (from 8 weeks to 15 months). If you are in the area one weekend pop in for a chat and a cuddle with one of my adult dragonss.

However my prices are higher than the prices you will pay from a private breeder. (they seem to sell at trade price).

Oh and to be honest if you do it right you never need to actually touch the crickets and locusts......but you will eventually.

Good luck and welcome again. P
Old 15-01-2010, 03:50 PM
Forum Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxy77ty View Post
Hey guys,
Thank you so much for the advice Steph!!! Thats all so helpful, theres so much conflicting information on the various website caresheets I've looked at!
I'll keep you posted with my progress on getting my first beardy as I'm sure I'll have lots more questions!!

Thank you too Paul - one thing I did want to ask about the feeding was that one caresheet stated that canned or 'complete' beardy food was just as good as Crickets / locusts - is this true? Just wondering as I'm a little unsure about picking those critters up - but if they are best obviously I'll get used to it!! lol!

Also can anyone suggest a good place / breeder to get my beardy from as I'm a littel dubious about ones from my local petshop, as I've heard a few bad stories. I live in ashford, near heathrow but willing to travel for the right pet...Thank you
Hi & welcome... just got my first beardie 2 weeks ago & he is FANTASIC!! So much fun to watch him shooting around his viv playing n chasing the locusts, got back from work last night and he ran to the front of the viv and waved!!! yeah I realise he just wanted feeding the greedy sod but it WAS dead cute!! As far as recommending a place to buy you cant really go wrong with the classified here on RFUK.... probably find someone right round the corner.... let me know how you get on
Old 15-01-2010, 07:31 PM
Super Regular

Quote:
Hey guys,
yehh i know some information is misleading, but asking questions is always good if you dont understand something. you will always find different people saying different things, but just go with what you think is best. ahh you can find a beardy anywhere these days.just make sure you always pick the strongest beardy in a pack and not the little runt if you get me lol and look for tail bites and toes missing too.
1.1.1 Bearded Dragon Aka Bam Bam,Jam Jam & Lil Man
0.1.0 Mexican Black Kingsnake
1.0.0 Black Rat Snake Aka Frank
1.0.0 Green Iguana Aka Wilson
RIP Nelson Milksnake, Beefy The Gecko, Tiny Tim The Pink Toe
Old 15-01-2010, 07:40 PM
Forum Citizen

Quote:
Hi Guys and girls,
I am looking to get my first Beardie in the next few months after absolutely falling in love with them!!
The problem is I have read countless care sheets and websites and the advice differs everywhere.
Can someone please help me with advice on well everything??!! lol
Correct sized viv minimum 4ftx2ftx2ft babies can go straight into it mine did
Lighting? strip uv at least 8inches from bottom of viv against back wall
Correct heating and thermostat 100w bulb with a dimmer thermostat
Feeding - live or canned, which vegetables and fruit are safe? live food like crickets, locust, roaches - veg use spring greens as stable and then stuff like rocket watercress, pak choi, butternut squash can give them blueberries and strawberries
Handling - when I first bring him home should I leave him for a few days - how much should he come out of his viv leave him/her for a couple of weeks for it to settle in and start off handling it with your hand in the viv and progress to bringing it out of the viv
Plants / rocks in the viv - what is safe as along as they've had a good clean rocks from outside are ok and plastic plants you can buy are also good too
Substrate or newspaper in the viv - heard they can swallow substrate.. use newpaper, kitchen roll, lino, tiles, reptile carpet

Hope to hear from you guys!!
hope this helps
Old 15-01-2010, 08:11 PM
Super Citizen
Reviews: 3

Correct sized viv

PREFERABLY 4 FT IN LENGTH OR MORE x 2FT WIDTH X 2FT HEIGHT (OR ABOUT 18 INCHES TOG ET FULL BENEFIT OF UVB)

Lighting?

A HEAT BULB AND A 10-12% UVB

Correct heating and thermostat

A SIMPLE SCREW SPOT BULB FROM B&Q WILL DO; 60-100W, DO EXACTLY SAME THING AS THE REALLY EXPENSIVE REPTILE BULBS. HABISTAT DIMMING THERMOSTAT TO CONTROL THIS.

Feeding - live or canned, which vegetables and fruit are safe?

LIVE PREFERABLY! THEY LOVE TO HUNT, OTHERWISE THEY MAY GET REALLY FAT AND LAZY. CRICKETS, LOCUST, ROACHES AND WHEN OLDER MEALIES AND WAX WORMS. I GIVE GREEN COLLARDS, CRESS, WATERCRESS, SOMETIMES RASPBERRIES, ROCKET LETTUCE, ALSO SOME HERBS ARE SAFE TOO, BUT CANT REMEMBER WHICH.

Handling - when I first bring him home should I leave him for a few days - how much should he come out of his viv

SHOULD LEAVE HIM/HER TO SETTLE FOR A WEEK OR TWO, ONLY LIMITED CONTACT SUCH AS WHEN FEEDING ETC.

Plants / rocks in the viv - what is safe

PINE IS DANGEROUS UNLESS VARNISHED. I JUST GOT SOME ROCKS OUTSIDE AND STERILISED THEM AND BAKED THEM.

Substrate or newspaper in the viv - heard they can swallow substrate..

SAND CAN BE USED WHEN ADULT, BUT I PREFER NOT TO TAKE THE RISK. I USE TILES. JUST MAKE SURE THEY HAVE SOMETHING TO WEAR DOWN THEIR NAILS.
Old 15-01-2010, 08:32 PM
Hatchling

hadesdragons has a very good care sheet, he (or she) is a member here or this website, very good info for caring for your live feed etc too

Caring for a Bearded Dragon - Hades Dragons UK