Leo weight gain? - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Lizards

Old 19-02-2010, 02:07 PM
Ultra Citizen
Reviews: 28
Question Leo weight gain?

Hi my 2 females stubber (37g) shelly (49g) that iv had for a week have gained 7g, but my male (51g) that ive had for 1 week has not gained , is it normal to gain this much in 1 week??? the male is not in with the females he is on his own.
Also i know leo's go to the loo in one place, does this mean that 2 leos in the same viv use the one place for the toilet?
I also have a handling prob with one of my girls stubber i try to pick her up and she sqeeks, i bought her with a regen tail could this be linked, what can i do to make her let me pick her up without biting or sqeeking!
Advertisement

Old 19-02-2010, 03:27 PM
Super Regular

The biting and squeaking could be because the previous own mishandled her and cause her to drop her tail. Best thing for her is to slowly build up her trust, try placing you hand in front of her and leaving it there for 5 to 10 minutes. She may not show much interests at first but keep doing this everyday and eventually curiosity will get the better of her. Once she has built up a bit of trust she should lick your hand, now you want to move it closer to her ideally placing your hand under her head. Eventually she'll walk onto your hand or walk away. If she walks away she probably will never like to be handled like mine but will tolerate handling in small sessions.
Old 19-02-2010, 03:32 PM
Ultra Citizen

i don't mind as long as i can handle her to help her (bad sheds) ect, because im not looking forward to trying to help her if she stays like she is!
Thanks for the help.
Advertisement

Old 19-02-2010, 03:33 PM
Ultra Citizen

any one know about the loo question or weight gain?
Old 19-02-2010, 03:50 PM
5 Star Member

Do you know how old they are?
The females may have gained more weight in a shorter time if they are younger because they are still growing where as the male may be closer to his adult weight in which case weight gain will slow down. Also he may just be settling in, have you seen him eat yet? are there poops from him.

Im not sure about the toilet thing as all mine are currently seperate.

Just take handling slowly.
Some leos do squeak/bark(especially youngsters) when handled but in time should get used to you. Try putting your hands in the viv near her but dont touch her, she will soon learn you are there to feed and not hurt her and you can progress from there. She may even get nosy and come and lick your hands and walk over them. Then you can start to gently pick her up.
One of my girls makes a grunting noise at me when I handle her, she doesnt hate been handled...she asks to come out and stands on my hand but then makes this funny grunty noise for afew secs! She is a character and vocal!xx
0.1 THB Shelby
0.0.1 THH Elfie

Old 19-02-2010, 04:09 PM
Ultra Citizen

ive seen the boy eat and have fed him myself and seen poos, stubber is about 7months paddy is about 1 yr and shelly is about 1.5 yrs. does this help?
Old 19-02-2010, 04:37 PM
Gold Star Member

Hiya,

re the weight gains, I wouldn't worry about them at the moment to be honest as a week is not really a long enough time to judge if they are settling in to a new home.

Moving them around (even within the same room) can unsettle some leo's. I have a couple who sulked after putting them into new vivs, but eventually they came back round to their normal pattern of behaviour/eating. Just keep offering them varied foodstuffs and they should soon start to feed, it's also worth checking with the previous owner on what and how they were fed. Some can be fussy about feeding on bowled mealies for example....

As for the pooping, then if they are in together they 'generally' will go in roughly the same spot, but not always. One prob with keeping more than one per enclosure is that you can't monitor pooping and eating as easily, as you can't tell who is doing what !

Just as an aside, were the 2 females quarantined before going in together (they should have been unless bought as a pair already housed together...) ?

Double check your temps at ground level are at 32C or thereabouts for the warm end and that you have enough hides/moist hides etc and keep monitoring for now.

As for handling, again all are different, some seem to dislike it, some tolerate it and some appear to love coming out for a nosy, just take your time and approach them slowly. I have a couple who I had to 'train' by leaving my hand in the viv for up to 15 mins before they would approach/lick and eventually climb on to my hand. Golden rule is never force one to be handled (unless for an emergency), it will only stress them out and that is not a good thing !

Good luck.

http://emgee-gex.webs.com/
Old 19-02-2010, 04:41 PM
Ultra Citizen

ive not got a problem with the leos not eating they have gained 7g's i was asking is this a normal amount to gain in 1 week?
Old 19-02-2010, 05:24 PM
Gold Star Member

sorry - when you said the male hadn't gained I assumed as he hadn't eaten...

As said earlier though - a week is not enough time to judge.
Also there's not really a 'normal' weight gain, or even weight to be honest, again they are all individual. If your oldest female is 1.5 yrs then to be honest she should have stopped growing. The others will still have some growing to do, so continue to monitor.

http://emgee-gex.webs.com/