Reptile Forums banner

Bearded Dragon Shed Problems :\

901 views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  vickysmith1 
#1 ·
my female beardie shed'd about a week ago for the first time me being her new owner & she hasnt shedded everything her spine & her tail are still holding shed anything i can do as i no this can cause major problems but she doesnt seem bother'd she has a short tail as it is and don't want her having no tail

any help much apprieciated :)

#2 ·
Dont worry mate it will be fine beardies normally shed in bits anyway very rarely does it come off in one. To help it you could give her a luke warm bath for 5 to 10 mins which will saturate the loose skin then pop her back in the heat spot to dry out

#3 ·
Contrary to popular belief, beardies do not need baths to aid shedding at all. Just leave her be, when they are young they will seem to be constantly shedding one part or another at some point :)

#5 ·
Hey Crownan, Beardies do not not need baths at all but an occasional one does no harm and can help with re-hydration and it can also help shedding :Na_Na_Na_Na:

#7 ·
I actually disagree. I have found that the dry shed flakes off far more easily than shed thats been soaked and is soft, maleable and pliable. I have found that bathing just prolongs the shedding.

I never bath my beardie.

#8 ·
Although i do understand where your coming from, once the loose skin is soaked it kind of swells a little, then as it drys out it shrinks back but normally smaller than when it first was dry if that makes sense. Hence making it looser and easier for the dragon to shed. : victory:

#9 ·
but anyway as you said beardies dont actually need baths and ive never heard of a beardie having major probs with shed on it body, only on its toes

#10 ·
id leave it a few days if it still shows no signs of coming off, maybe then give it a bath, as said before they shed in stages anyway :)

#11 ·
i give my beardies a little bit of a spray with luke warm water, it always seems to help the shedding proccess.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.