thinking of setting up a leo colony - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Lizards

Old 12-04-2010, 11:49 AM
Ultra Citizen
Default thinking of setting up a leo colony

i currently have a 1.3.0 group of leos all our currently housed seperately (as the girls arent ready yet). when the time comes i would like to set them up as a colony. i have a few questions
would i need more females or is my ratio fine?
ideal viv size for the group ?
i would like to use a nice substrate that ISNT kitchen roll i am thinking of getting playsand and building a slate area for feeding and watering is this fine or would a different substrate be more suitable?
each leo will have their own food bowl but how many water bowls should i provide ?
im sure there are more questions which i will add as i go along but these are the main ones for now thanks for your time guys

view more of my art work at
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Art-a...18303514942732
if you're really bored - http://www.spillit.me/annarism

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2010, 11:56 AM
Super Regular

Well you said it in your post. Slate tiles as substrate.
Old 12-04-2010, 12:01 PM
Ultra Citizen

ok thanks the idea is half slate half sand i kind of like to spoil my lil ones as much as i can

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2010, 12:05 PM
Banned
Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by annarism View Post
ok thanks the idea is half slate half sand i kind of like to spoil my lil ones as much as i can
sorry to hijack but whats the scientific name for the black trapdoor spider seeing as how you have 1
is it Idiops sp or Cyrtenaucheniidae sp or Stasimopus sp
Old 12-04-2010, 12:12 PM
Premier Member

iv been thinking on gecko substrate too, theres a post about using bran as a beardie substrate, i think this might be an interesting possibility, theres nothing worse than having to empty the cage just to remove that one poop on the paper.

rgds
ed

Quote:
i currently have a 1.3.0 group of leos all our currently housed seperately (as the girls arent ready yet). when the time comes i would like to set them up as a colony. i have a few questions
i would like to use a nice substrate that ISNT kitchen roll i am thinking of getting playsand and building a slate area for feeding and watering is this fine or would a different substrate be more suitable?
each leo will have their own food bowl but how many water bowls should i provide ?
im sure there are more questions which i will add as i go along but these are the main ones for now thanks for your time guys
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.
Old 12-04-2010, 12:15 PM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjaaa23 View Post
sorry to hijack but whats the scientific name for the black trapdoor spider seeing as how you have 1
is it Idiops sp or Cyrtenaucheniidae sp or Stasimopus sp
lol its my fault for venturing out of the inverts section but the males in the home would like to know about their leos and i normally set up the tanks lol
as for the trapdoor i really don't know lol hence why its just trapdoor in my sig i have had trouble finding info on her

Old 12-04-2010, 03:04 PM
Premier Citizen
Reviews: 10

While I think colonies can work, Id leave the male in his own seperate tank and, if you want to, just keep the females together. This means you can control breeding and stop him from pestering them when they do get pregnant.
Be aware tho, that if/when the females do get gravid, they are probs best kept seperately too as then you will know who's eggs are whose. Also, gravid females can be more moody/ terratorial and may turn on one another to "protect" their own eggs, even before they've been layed.

If you are set on the idea of a communal tank for your leos its probs best not to breed them while they are living all together, so the male would still need to be kept alone.

It can work, but it has the potential to cause even more problems on top of the all the usual risks from breeding.

If you do decide to give it a try, i agree that slate is a good substrate. You'll need to provide them with plenty of space to get away from each other if they want to, so at least 2-3 hot hides, plus 2 moist hides and any other cool hides you want to add.
With communal tanks the key seems to be as much space as is possible (without going overboard and scaring them with too big a tank lol) and plenty of decorations/practical features to occupy them. Give them lots of things to climb on and hide in/under/behind and this should minimise cage mate agression.

Introduce the girls to each other 1 at a time until they've all met each other (do this in a spare tank/neutral space) then add them all to their new tank at the same time.

Hope this helps
xx

Old 12-04-2010, 03:13 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
That ratio is fine

I think a 4x2x2 is big enough for a group of 4 leos

Slate is a good substrate although you could also use the playsand, just make sure they are eating and pooping off the sand

i dont think they'll choose bowls...more then likely they'll just eat from where ever they see food
Old 12-04-2010, 03:17 PM
Ultra Citizen

great thanks iv still got a long time to go before they are ready to breed anyway but i want to research and plan as much as possible to help things go smoothly i love the idea of introducing them to each other seperately then bringing them together as a group