reliable crested gecko temp advice - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Lizards

Old 16-05-2010, 07:38 PM
Hatchling
Default reliable crested gecko temp advice

hi there

me and my partner bought our 1st lizard a few weeks back. diego is a crested gecko only a few months old too young to sex.

we are completley new to reptile ownership and are getting lots of conflicting advice from books/forums/reptile shops/intenet searches on everything from feeding to habitat. all we want is to do the best for him so i need some reliable advice at this time particularly on temperature.

the room where the faunariam is, is particulalry chilly we initially brought him home told we wouldnt need any additional heating/lighting. we just bought a 15w moonlight bulb for viewing him at night time. after monitoring his temp it wasnt getting up any higher than 68F and lows of 55F so we knew we needed some extra heat

we went back to the shop we got him from and were told a heat mat was the simplest way to increase the temp. we plan to stick this to the wall and push the viv up to it when we move diego out of the faunariam. at the moment it is wrapped in a tea towel underneath his faunariam. we have also had to put a polysterene block in between the faunariam and the heat mat to stop it getting too hot we know this is dangerous.

so now we are leaving the heat mat on through the day and the temp is settling around 75F. we turn the mat off at night and put his 15w bulb on the temp is around the low 60s/high 50s at night. we are using a digital themometer with a probe as the inital dial type one we bought is worse than useless.

basically my questions are
1 are these temps ok and if not what can we do to change it?
2 how long should we leave the light on and how long should we leave the mat on? how many hours for each at this time of year?
3 unrelated to temp but when can we move diego from the faunariam to the glass viv? i realise he will struggle to hunt? but think temp will be easier to regulate in there?

help me please we got a crestie thinking they were a simple starter lizard but we keep getting stuff wrong cos of all the conflicting advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 16-05-2010, 07:46 PM
Premier Citizen
Send a message via MSN to rob2278

Have a read of this - http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forum...are-sheet.html
Old 16-05-2010, 07:53 PM
No Life Member
Reviews: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob2278 View Post
Hehe, you linked my caresheet

RFUK Member No: 27649
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 16-05-2010, 07:57 PM
Premier Citizen
Send a message via MSN to rob2278

Quote:
Originally Posted by xvickyx View Post
Hehe, you linked my caresheet
It's a good one!!
Old 16-05-2010, 08:10 PM
Premier Citizen

Detailed advice on crestie heating can be found in this sticky.

Website for all things geckoey
Old 16-05-2010, 08:25 PM
Super Citizen

From what you said it sounds like you don't have a thermostat? If not then you NEED to get one. A heat mat needs to be connected to a thermostat in order for the temperature to be controlled properly, otherwise the temps could get dangerously high. I once left an unstatted heat mat on the table(not on an animal tank obv, I was just curious to see how hot it would get) and it reached well over 40 degrees celsius . The sticky mentioned by the person above is very good and I found it very useful in setting up my cresties housing as my house got VERY cold in the winter.

0.0.1 Amel Corn: Fëanor
0.1 Japanese Apple Fantasy Pacman Frog: Wasabi/Hypnotoad

Old 17-05-2010, 05:37 PM
Hatchling

thankyou for the replies. i am looking into getting a stat asap. although te sticky thread and care sheet are both informativethey dont answer a coule of the more specific questions about heating cycles? ie what time should daytime officially end thus the heatmat be turned off? and when is the right time to move him to the permanant viv as i feel temp control will be easier in there?
Old 17-05-2010, 05:39 PM
Hatchling

thankyou for the replies. i am looking into getting a stat asap. although te sticky thread and care sheet are both informative they dont answer a couple of the more specific questions about heating cycles? ie what time should daytime officially end thus the heatmat be turned off? and when is the right time to move him to the permanant viv as i feel temp control will be easier in there?