Advice for a Bearded Dragon newbie please - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Lizards

Old 01-09-2007, 10:45 PM
Default Advice for a Bearded Dragon newbie please

Hi everyone

I purchased a 4 week old Beardie today and apart from care sheets and the advice of the pet shop, I know nothing about lizards and my new pet and I would greatly appreciate your help.

Firstly, I have read the information on what they eat, but how often should I be feeding him and how much at each feed? The pet shop said put 5 or 6 crickets in once a day and about a teaspoon of salad stuff, but I've seen posts on here about young ones eating 50 crickets a day, so I don't know what to do.

The petshop also said to set the thermostat at 80 deg, but here you say 110. My thermostat only goes up to 90 something. The spot light is 100w but it is fixed to the side of the viv at the top, and not hanging from the top. I was told that this was fine, but on checking the temps, it is only reading 90 on my digital thermometer. What do you suggest?

Sorry for the questions, but hope you'll be able to help

Thanks

Kate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2007, 10:52 PM
Ultra Citizen

You might wantto consider a higher wattage bulb if the temp isn't going high enoug-the temp should go in excess of 90 if you've got a nice cool end the other side of the viv. I assume you have UV as this is essential for beardies and most lizards.
You should fed every day maybe 10-15 crickets, I usually just shake a good few in for my 2, make sure they are dustedwith calcium/multi vits (calcium 5 days per week, multi vits twice a week) Young beardies will eat more bugs and less veg but this generally turns around as they get older. Have some veg in there but you do not need lots.
Hope this helps a bit and good luck with him!
Ben

Dream list!:
Asian Water Monitor, Burm, Retic, Copperhead!
Old 01-09-2007, 10:55 PM
Ultra Citizen
Send a message via MSN to pebbles

As for as I know temp should be 110 hot end for a baby. They eat quite alot of livefood when young and less green but when they get older it changes. Have you got uv?

Can I just ask why did you buy one if you wasn't sure how to look after it?
1 Chihuahua (Charlie)
2 Guinea Pigs

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2007, 10:56 PM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by pebbles View Post
Can I just ask why did you buy one if you wasn't sure how to look after it?
Good question and 4 weeks does seem a little young to seel, especially to a beginner-not that I'm having a go but you might want to read up a bit more next time...
Ben

Dream list!:
Old 01-09-2007, 10:56 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zannah View Post
Hi everyone

I purchased a 4 week old Beardie today and apart from care sheets and the advice of the pet shop, I know nothing about lizards and my new pet and I would greatly appreciate your help.

Firstly, I have read the information on what they eat, but how often should I be feeding him and how much at each feed? The pet shop said put 5 or 6 crickets in once a day and about a teaspoon of salad stuff, but I've seen posts on here about young ones eating 50 crickets a day, so I don't know what to do.

The petshop also said to set the thermostat at 80 deg, but here you say 110. My thermostat only goes up to 90 something. The spot light is 100w but it is fixed to the side of the viv at the top, and not hanging from the top. I was told that this was fine, but on checking the temps, it is only reading 90 on my digital thermometer. What do you suggest?

Sorry for the questions, but hope you'll be able to help

Thanks

Kate
Well.. i dust the crickets with calcium before i put them into the viv for the beardie to eat..
i usually give the beardie as many crickets as he will eat. At least while he's young. They grow quickly so i guess need alot of food..

i've seen mine eat 15 before.. But usually he eats about 9-10 crickets a day. I give him a few in the morning, and a few at night.

the salads i put in a feeding dish. So that the beardie can eat what ever he wants when he wants.

You might want to get a new thermostat as your own wont give the beardie the heat it'll need during the day.

Not sure if you know but the beardie only needs so many hours a day (14?) of the heat and uv..

By the way do you have UV lighting? You'll need that too.
Old 01-09-2007, 11:04 PM

I know, I've got corn snakes and am a member of a corn snake forum, and I just can't understand it when someone new comes on and says they've just bought a snake but don't know how to look after it, so I know where you are coming from, but please don't hold it against me.

I had read care sheets and looked at a couple of forums, but I hadn't found anywhere with detailed care sheets, so didn't think there would be more to it. Plus the petshop girl has been a great help with the snakes and she owns a beardie herself and made it all sound so simple.

I have got a UV light to go in the tank, just haven't the expertise to install it myself - I've organised a friend who is an electrician to do it tomorrow.

All I can say is, I am just thankful that we have the internet and questions can be answered so promptly, by people who know what they are talking about.

Thanks for your responses
Old 01-09-2007, 11:06 PM
Ultra Citizen

Is that everything then?
Ben

Dream list!:
Old 01-09-2007, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiva&kaa123 View Post
Is that everything then?
Ben
Thanks Ben, yes I think that's it for now.

I'll feed the little fella twice a day from now on and see if I can get a higher wattage bulb to get the temp up for his basking spot.

I'm sure I'll be back soon though with more questions lol

Kate
Old 01-09-2007, 11:29 PM
Administrator

while they're young they eat as much as they possibly can stuff in their mouths.

i know mine does lol
Old 01-09-2007, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trice View Post
while they're young they eat as much as they possibly can stuff in their mouths.

i know mine does lol
Thanks Trice

He doesn't seem interested in food at the moment, but we only got him this morning, so he's probably just getting used to his new surroundings, and to the fact that he's on his own now (there were 5 of them in his tank in the shop). I can't wait to see him enjoying his food