Reptile Forums banner

New Owner of a Baby Beardy!

304 views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Beferina 
#1 ·
I am the proud owner of a baby bearded dragon!! So beautiful!!

He is only 4 weeks old. but i dont pick him up until next week!

I wondered if you could give me advice on the best food, calcium suppliments etc. i have also heard i shouldnt use sand in the viv...

I have been doing alot of researching but i have heard different things from different people!!

#3 ·
Why were you told not to use sand in the Viv? Thats what your meant to use with Bearded Dragons, as that it was they would naturally live in.
The best calcium supplement is Nutrobol.
Hope this helps a bit.

#5 ·
Actually, it is recommended not to use loose substrate, especially with young dragons as they can accidently ingest it and create a blockage.

And bearded dragons don't naturally live on sand. Their environment is typically a clay base with a very fine layer of sand.

Most beardie owners opt for lino, tile, paper towels or repti carpet. Though there are many many debates on the best substrate.

You will need a pure calcium supplement 5 days per week (zoo med reptile calcium), and a vitamin supplement two days per week (nutrobal) .

Food wise, a young bearded dragon will eat 80% insects and 20% greens. This reverses as they get older.

Insects: crickets, locusts, dubia roaches, turkistan roaches, phoenix worms. You can also give waxworms as a very occassional treat since they are very fatty.

Salad: some ideas: curly kale, lambs lettuce, spring greens, rocket, salad cress, watercress, red peppers, butternut squash.

You will need a uv strip light. ReptiSun or Arcadia are best.
You will also need a basking light, with the basking temperature being about 105f. I recommend using an infra red temp gun as I have found the digital thermometers can be quite inaccurate.

#6 ·
as above :2thumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.