Thinking of getting a female beardie for my male beardie - lots of q's.... - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Lizards

Old 30-07-2010, 02:34 PM
Regular
Default Thinking of getting a female beardie for my male beardie - lots of q's....

Hi my male beardie is 18 months old. I am considering getting a female beardie for company for him but I have so many questions....
Do they normally pair ok?
I have been told by my local rep breeders that they will buy baby beardies so that leads to lots of questions about that... I have been told I can buy an incubator set for £45 and all that I need to do is air the eggs once a week. Please can someone run me through the process of when I sould be aware the female will lay eggs then when do I incubate. Do all the eggs hatch on the same day and roughly how many will there be. Do breeders norm buy hatchlings or will I have to rear for some time first. Also how much would I get for babies??
Is there anything different I have to do regarding having a male and female together? (obv apart from the obv of having more food!!)??
Sorry for so many q's but this a decision I dont want to rush into before knowing the full facts.
Thanks
Kat

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 30-07-2010, 03:05 PM
5 Star Member

Hi, I'm not experienced with breeding so can't help you on that front.
Males and females should not be housed together permanently though. The male may harass the female and the stress of constant mating can have a very bad effect on the females health. Really they should only be put together to do the deed then separated again. They are naturally solitary so don't need or want company.
As far as I know the market is packed full of baby beardies so there isn't a huge demand for them, so you probably won't get a lot for them if you can sell them at all. Especially if they are just normals. If you have rare or interesting morphs obviously you will probably get more money and be able to sell them more easily. But as I said I'm no expert on the breeding/selling front so don't quote me on that!
Old 30-07-2010, 03:13 PM
Premier Citizen

you will need to keep them seperate other than putting them together to breed (dont forget to quarentine it for 3 months to ensure it parasite free and in good health to breed)
as far as i can tell there is no money to be made breeding bearded dragon a pet shop near me is selling them at £15.00 each so he can only be paying about a fiver each for them (it will cost more than that just to feed them for 6 weeks)
saw someone advertising them free of charge the other day

Old 30-07-2010, 03:35 PM
Regular

thanks for your replies - my main reason for getting another was for company for my male so keeping apart would not be suitable. hmmm will have to think more about that

Old 30-07-2010, 04:12 PM
5 Star Member

They don't need or want company, they are solitary. He'll be much, much happier left alone
Old 30-07-2010, 04:32 PM
Forum Citizen

youll gwt about if your selling about 60 dollars for 1 egg, the pet store sells them for 80-120.
Old 30-07-2010, 04:40 PM
5 Star Member
Reviews: 14

Hi my male beardie is 18 months old. I am considering getting a female beardie for company for him but I have so many questions....
Do they normally pair ok?

This depends on the individual animals. I've seen a lot of nasty pairings, ending in amputated tails, broken jaws, etc. But for the upshot pairing goes okay if the couple are only kept together for a little while, and then seperated again.

I have been told by my local rep breeders that they will buy baby beardies so that leads to lots of questions about that... I have been told I can buy an incubator set for £45 and all that I need to do is air the eggs once a week. Please can someone run me through the process of when I sould be aware the female will lay eggs then when do I incubate. Do all the eggs hatch on the same day and roughly how many will there be.

Expect a lot of baby beardies, they breed worse than rabbits. And thats a lot of hungry mouths to feed. You usually get around 10-15 eggs in a clutch, and most of these usually hatch.
Also the female can retain sperm, so may have more than one clutch from one single breeding.

Do breeders norm buy hatchlings or will I have to rear for some time first. Also how much would I get for babies??

You'll have to rear for some time first, to give them the best start in life and minimise stress to them early on. You also need to take into account VETS BILLS! Incase anything goes wrong with the babies or the parents. Theres risks of her becoming eggbound, going off food, getting wounded by the male.

In todays market, expect very little for babies. If you're selling to pet shops/breeders you're probably talking around a tenner a beardie. If privately you may get as much as £30 per beardie for nice colours, but you'll be lucky.

Is there anything different I have to do regarding having a male and female together? (obv apart from the obv of having more food!!)??

Make sure both are in prime condition. The female must not be underweight or overweight. I'd get her seen by a vet first. Also make sure her diet is correctly supplemented and her UV is top notch up to date, as popping out eggs drains a mothers vitamin/calcium resources.
Remember you'll need to give her a large deep laying box once she's been bred. And her apetite may increase, costing you more in feeding bills.

Sorry for so many q's but this a decision I dont want to rush into before knowing the full facts.
Thanks
Kat
Old 30-07-2010, 09:55 PM
Regular

Hi thanks for your answers especially maddragon for taking time to answer each one. Its seeming like a lesser idea now!! as my main reason was for company for the male it now seems that this wont be an option or needed now for him from what you guys are saying.

Old 30-07-2010, 11:12 PM
Ultra Citizen
Reviews: 15

Agree with maddragon
Old 31-07-2010, 08:29 AM
Super Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkiebeardieowner View Post
as my main reason was for company for the male it now seems that this wont be an option or needed now for him from what you guys are saying.
The only company that your dragon wants is yours!

Tags
bearded dragon