Advise for beginner on Leapard Gecko's - Page 2 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Lizards

Old 30-07-2010, 05:52 PM
Forum Citizen

Thanks for that, just need to price everything, and make sure I know how to set it up too, thats important, the heat pad placing etc. Would branches from woodland trees be hazardoes to him/her rather than buying fake brances. Hubby has a bow saw send him up to get some, or steal it from tree out my front its big enough lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 30-07-2010, 07:39 PM
Oh God - not her AGAIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzylynn View Post
Thanks for that, just need to price everything, and make sure I know how to set it up too, thats important, the heat pad placing etc. Would branches from woodland trees be hazardoes to him/her rather than buying fake brances. Hubby has a bow saw send him up to get some, or steal it from tree out my front its big enough lol
I would also recommend that you start off with just one. Leos won't always get along together, sometimes falling out after months in the same viv. If you do get 2 then really you need a spare set-up as well (a plastic box, heatmat and stat would surfice).
If you get branches make sure they are either hardwood or fruit wood. Conifers can be hazardous to lizards. Bake it slowly in the oven before using (mind it doesn't catch fire) to kill any nasty bugs it may have.
I am sure you have read many care sheets etc. but you and your son may like to read this one Leopard Gecko Care Sheets which is extremely comprehensive but readable as well. The advice given is second to none. Good luck with your little Leo.

Eublepharis macularius 7.18
Timon lepidus 2.1
Lygodactylus williamsi 4.0
Teratoscincus roborowski 1.0
Phelsuma grandis 2.2
Bellatorias frerei 1.2
Pogona vitticeps 1.0
Old 30-07-2010, 10:56 PM
Regular
Default leos

Im also in edinburgh if you need any help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 31-07-2010, 07:04 PM
Forum Citizen

Hi everyone, thankyou for your advise, I have saved all the care sheets for refering back to when need to, thats teh tank all scrubbed and sitting waiting to start setting it up, hubby took an hour to clean it all for me.
Old 31-07-2010, 07:08 PM
Ultra Citizen
Reviews: 15

Quote:
hubby took an hour to clean it all for me.
Is he available to hire?
Old 31-07-2010, 07:54 PM
Forum Citizen

He's laughing, I am shocked I didnt have to nag to get him to do it, think he is looking forward to getting the wee gecko too, he did want a snake but the tank is to small. I am looking forward to it too.
Old 31-07-2010, 09:50 PM
5 Star Member

Quote:
He's laughing, I am shocked I didnt have to nag to get him to do it, think he is looking forward to getting the wee gecko too, he did want a snake but the tank is to small. I am looking forward to it too.

depends what snake, im getting a snake that will live fine in a 3x2x2, it could live in something smaller, caresheets do say something like 2x2x2, but I always like to give them extra space. My Leo is going into a 3x2x2 aswell.

Although the snake im getting may not be recommended for a first time reptile owner such as yourself as it is rear-fanged venomous.

But a Royal/Ball Python would go nicely in a 3x2x2, not straight away however as it will be far too big for it, and royals/balls are well known for stressing in large spaces and going off food for months at a time.

Not 100% but i believe you could get a cornsnake in there too, if its a snake you really want, Id go for a snake, at the end of the day your gonne have it for a very long time and should always get what you want as not to lose interest in the 'second best' animal.

Not saying you will get bored of a leo however, just using it as an example.

Spuddy.

Tags
leapard gecko