Hello,Help with Berber Skinks - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Lizards

Old 27-09-2007, 07:28 PM
Default Hello,Help with Berber Skinks

I brought 2 Berber skinks a while ago, i was told they were females, but i wasn'y sure so i spilt them up. i went to look today and one seems huge round the belly area. Could she be pregnant? It's not the right time of year i was told.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 27-09-2007, 08:09 PM

she could be yes.
can you give any further info atall?
or were you just after a "yes" or "no"?
Old 27-09-2007, 10:00 PM

She was with the other Berber for about 3 months. But maybe she is eating more? So is fatter?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 27-09-2007, 10:04 PM

yep thast possible too.
if she is gravid.. at soem point it will become obvious as it will look diferent to mere fat.
either way, for now, its nothing to worr about.
if you could kep an e on whatshe eats...if she eats normal amount but continues to put on weight... or more to the point..starts to want to eat a heck of alot more... then she is prolly gravid and you can do what needs to be done when it arises.

My gf trese actually only this morning mentioned to me she thinks our female berber MAY also be gravid as she has developed a belly recently.

will keep an eye on her, you should just do the same.

Welcoem to the forum, stick around.
Old 27-09-2007, 10:10 PM

Thank you. She is eating Alot more than she normally does. And seems to have a huge body, i can feel or see any eggs, as she has scales etc, not like a leo.. do i need something for her to lay her eggs in?.. ddo they normally lay eggs this time or year? it seems very late.
Old 27-09-2007, 10:14 PM

i dont really know to be honest, i dont think its too late ,all depends on when in the season they breed... i think [read: THINK] with the weather we have had etc then breeding season is prolly april-sept with laying a little after obviously.

they just need soemwhere to dig, lay and bury the eggs yes.
so she is housed alone yeh?
what substrate do you use?

ours ar eon sand, male and female together, for ours i would simply chuck a deeper layer of sand in a shallowish tub and place it in the corner of the viv and keep an eye out to see if she is checking it out, although I would be sure to check a few care sheets etc to refresh my memory on what i have previously read and atleast tried to take in lol
Old 27-09-2007, 10:18 PM

Ok She is on a mix of sand and bark.. I will just keep and eye out i guess, thank you.
Old 27-09-2007, 10:21 PM

your welcome, just to add, id dampen the substrate in the "nesting area" a bit also.
hope to see you about mate, if your berbers are anything liek ours [super friendly, love to climb right up onto our neck and beyond, gentle as anything, agressive feeders] then im sur eyou love them loads.
if they are your only reps or a coupel of many im sure yourl find plenty to talk about on these forums.
Old 27-09-2007, 10:26 PM

A couple of many! Ours are amazingly friendly. We rescued them from a mate who owns a reptile shop. He rescued them, and passed them on to me, and they are the friendliest out of all of our lizards! They will sit on you for AGES!
I have Leopard geckos
Crested geckos
Gargoyle geckos
Mossy Geckos
and Berber Skinks..
would like to get a ackie next, and a chamelon
Old 27-09-2007, 10:43 PM

awesome collection.
do you keep your gargoyle the same as your cresteds?
for such a popular lizard [crestie] i have been quite shocked at the contradicting info out there on temps [many say over 80 will kill them, others say over 85 will, many say 70-85 is fine etc] and also as far as humidity % goes... i have found it very hard to pin point what is recomended.

we got 2 cresteds and a gargoyle on sunday.
the 2 cresteds are in a faunarium, as was the gargoyle on his own, turned upright with an inch of damn coconut husk in the bottom.
humidty was staying at 70-80% and temos went down to 70 at night and never got higher than 77 during the day.
no heating in faunariums, just room temp.

they all ate sun, mon on baby food [fruit] and then all on tue on CGD, wed morning [yest] the gargoyle was on the bottom, almost lifeless and cold with his four limbs tucked up to his body.
we moved him into a tub of which he came in, stuck it on a heatmat and got the temp in the tub at 79 degrees thinking this may help, he... if moved would just roll on his side.. but was breathing [belly goin in and out] and moving his tail a bit... he died an hour later.

any ideas?
critique perfectly welcome.