Reptile Forums banner

Opinions on chameleons?

Tags
chameleon
889 views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  repnanny 
#1 ·
After seeing a few chameleons in "action" I have decided that at some point in the future I would love to keep 1 or 2. The question is. In your opinions, which are the best and why? Price is not an option as long as it's not daft!

All the best

Tom

#2 ·
I currently have one Yemen.. hes great to watch & find in amongst all the greenery, but as soon as he hit that stage (7/8 months) he isnt too keen on anyone being in his viv, so more of a 'watch' pet. One day I would love a Blue Bar, such gorgeous colours... but saying that Yemens are pretty when they get angry :lol2:

From This....

To This...

#5 · (Edited)
I currently have one Yemen.. hes great to watch & find in amongst all the greenery, but as soon as he hit that stage (7/8 months) he isnt too keen on anyone being in his viv, so more of a 'watch' pet. One day I would love a Blue Bar, such gorgeous colours... but saying that Yemens are pretty when they get angry :lol2:

From This....

To This...

Hi there, from them pictures i would say that is a female you have there not a male,

#3 ·
yemens are best as a starter chameleon but panthers are stunning. If you research and everythig is good then you should be fine. they are a look but dont toch animals and are really interesting to watch and such a rewarding thing to keep. rmember though only one per cage!

#4 · (Edited)
I have panther and Yemens they are both very interesting to keep, and to be honest not much difference in setups for them. Just slightly different husbandry.

just make sure you get everything before spot on and have done your research and prepared to put the time in,

The thing i like about panthers is the different Locales and variety in colours, But Veileds have s very nice colours and markings too,

#7 · (Edited)
well I keep a Veiled Chameleon so i am obviously going to be bias and say they are awesome!!! lol once you get the setup right and get into the daily routine they arn't really that difficult to care for just do ya research first and you will be fine :) they are great to keep and watch, mine doesn't mind being handled too much tho i wouldn't say he likes it either lol better to leave them alone mostly, anyway here's a pic

#8 ·
thanks for the replies people. ive got my heart set on one for the future and ive read a couple of books and read a few care sheets and im confident I can look after one. So far I like the look of the Panthers, Sambavas being the one that stood out for me!

does anyone know a website that shows the different colours and markings for the different locales?

All the best

Tom

#9 ·
There is an american forum called Chameleonforum which has a good piccie section.

I got a yemen for my first as they are known to be abit hardier. Once I got into a routine I have found him very easy to keep and would love a panther in the future.

My cham has actually learnt that if he stands on my hand it means he gets to stomp around outside his viv and now waits at the door for me. He has his grumpy days but as long as it is on his terms he is quite good at being handled :)

#12 ·
Any hints on taming welcome - my yemin is the most foul tempered, stroppy miserable pig on the planet and he hates everyone!!!!! But he is an adult and a rescue so i dont know how he was treated in the past.

Maybe its just time (although i have had hm for just over a year now) and he will realise im not going to hurt him but in the meantime - any ideas anyone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.