Reptile Forums banner

How much would you pay for this ??

1K views 47 replies 11 participants last post by  Evilmoo 
#1 ·
ive updated my stock and want to know what you think

this is one of my leopard gecko starter kits (advanced)

now all this equitment is brand new and not opened i know iam missign 1 or 2 things so see if you can spot them ;)

ive work out how much each one cost me but how much would you honestly pay for this kit

thanks for your soon to come comments

Leopard gecko advance starter kits

Vivexotic LX 24in (24x14x16) (LxDxH)
Habistat heat mat 12watt
microclimate ministat 100
exo terra digital thermometer
exo terra calcuim (water) dish (small)
exo terra water dish (meduim)
exo terra mealworm dish
paper towels (2 pack)
exo terra meduim hide x2
plastic humid hide
bag of sphagnum moss
exo terra Ficus plant (silk)
100g nutabal
Viv lock

See less See more
#12 ·
trouble is some of the big boys online sell the set ups so cheap we can't compete on the web

I honestly think about £140 is more like it but depends where you're selling it and what competition you've got
Well the reason i originally said about 200 is because i thought maybe you where throwing in a actual leo aswell. but i think 170 is a fair price you cant expect to buy anything from someone without them making a profit. Its the way the world works.

#15 · (Edited)
Leopard gecko advance starter kits

Habistat heat mat 12watt
microclimate ministat 100
exo terra digital thermometer
exo terra calcuim (water) dish (small)
exo terra mealworm dish
paper towels (2 pack)
exo terra meduim hide x2
plastic humid hide
bag of sphagnum moss
100g nutabal
Viv lock
To be honest mate, alot of online folks sell starters with faunariums, only one hide (no moist hide or sphag moss), sand as a substrate, no viv decor or lock, normal thermometer instead of digital, and calci dust not neutrabol, so I think you are doing a pretty good deal fella :2thumb:

#16 ·
To be honest mate, alot of online folks sell starters with faunariums, only one hide (no moist hide or sphag moss), sand as a substrate, no viv decor or lock, normal thermometer instead of digital, and calci dust not neutrabol, so I think you are doing a pretty good deal fella :2thumb:
thanks thats what i cant understand why they arent sellign the basics i mean

iam we doing my basic leo setup which will be just a faun and a couple of less expensive items such as the hides being a cheaper make

#19 ·
Shame you're so far away... i could've squeezed some of your leo's in our shop and sold them on your behalf :)

I didn't put our vivs on our website cos of other prices that are too low - although some people still like to support the independants so who knows - could go well especially as your kits are more comprehensive than most.

You can offer the expertise on care as well - net pet shop have shite knowledge of reps :lolsign:

Maybe you should offer the packages with 6 months email support or something for newbies (like me!) - a little niche

Good luck

#23 ·

Habistat heat mat 12watt
microclimate ministat 100 ........ habistat are far better
exo terra digital thermometer ....... absolute pants the lucky reptiles are much better, batteries last longer and can be switched on and off
exo terra calcuim (water) dish (small) ...... have you tried the zoo meds there a lot sturdier and don't bubble or leak
exo terra mealworm dish ..... the lees bowls are far cheaper and better imo
paper towels (2 pack)
exo terra meduim hide x2 ....... still one of the only bits of exo kit I like
plastic humid hide ....... can you actually buy these? Link please?
bag of sphagnum moss
100g nutabal
Viv lock
[/B][/FONT]
Ive put next to it somethings id change as personal opinion a lot of the kit up top I've tried and disliked although started with all that sort of gear just replaced it. I'm unsure how much it'd affect the price though. Id also add calcium powder as well otherwise some wouldnt bother

#24 ·
Vivexotic LX 24in (24x14x16) (LxDxH) £50
Habistat heat mat 12watt £13
microclimate ministat 100 ... £22
exo terra digital thermometer ....... £12
exo terra calcuim (water) dish (small) .£4.00
exo terra water dish (meduim) ???? why do you need 2 water dishes
exo terra mealworm dish ..... £2.00 not exo terro
paper towels (2 pack) £1.30
exo terra meduim hide x2 ....... £15.00
plastic humid hide ....... £ 9.00
bag of sphagnum moss £1 make your own tubs up
exo terra Ficus plant (silk) £ 9.00
100g nutabal £10.50
Viv lock £5.00
calci dust £4.00
viewing light £6.00

if your going to be buying in bulk then this is what you can price up seperatly and you are making profit on all this already. put this altogether as a set up and its around £155. put it up for sale at £ 170 and you will be making another 15-20 profit on top your already making profit on. competation in prices are going mad at the moment witrh people tring to outdo each other so unless you can do your set up for around 140-150 then i dont think you would sell alot. as for the gecko aswell you can pay 20 or less and charge about 35-40 on top. this is my opinion and just an estimate on what i think

#27 ·
Vivexotic LX 24in (24x14x16) (LxDxH) £50
Habistat heat mat 12watt £13
microclimate ministat 100 ... £22
exo terra digital thermometer ....... £12
exo terra calcuim (water) dish (small) .£4.00
exo terra water dish (meduim) ???? why do you need 2 water dishes
exo terra mealworm dish ..... £2.00 not exo terro
paper towels (2 pack) £1.30
exo terra meduim hide x2 ....... £15.00
plastic humid hide ....... £ 9.00
bag of sphagnum moss £1 make your own tubs up
exo terra Ficus plant (silk) £ 9.00
100g nutabal £10.50
Viv lock £5.00
calci dust £4.00
viewing light £6.00

if your going to be buying in bulk then this is what you can price up seperatly and you are making profit on all this already. put this altogether as a set up and its around £155. put it up for sale at £ 170 and you will be making another 15-20 profit on top your already making profit on. competation in prices are going mad at the moment witrh people tring to outdo each other so unless you can do your set up for around 140-150 then i dont think you would sell alot. as for the gecko aswell you can pay 20 or less and charge about 35-40 on top. this is my opinion and just an estimate on what i think
thanks for that as said i want people opinoins and what prices they would pay

as for the viewing light i dont want to add that in my kits as there is alot of different ones on the market and people like diff ones

as for adding a leo that is a stupid price and i wish people wouldnt sell them so low

#36 ·
I have a quick question, which I guess is vaguely related. IF you are just a 'hobbyist', but you are buying and selling setups (not making), are you paying tax? Also, IF you intend to 'source' leopard geckos to sell, do you have a PSL?

While I don't question the merit of the venture, IF you don't have/ do these essential bits, you could get yourself in a bit of trouble.

Good luck though. In relation to the question you asked, I think most of the items on the list are too expensive for what they are, and are not really worth paying for. But thats just me. I do think £170 seems a little high, and is certainly well in excess of what I would pay. Although I suspect I am not really your target market.

Andy

#38 ·
I have a quick question, which I guess is vaguely related. IF you are just a 'hobbyist', but you are buying and selling setups (not making), are you paying tax? Also, IF you intend to 'source' leopard geckos to sell, do you have a PSL?

as long as i dont make so much money a month cant remember the exact number i dont have to also i wont be sourcing leos they will be my own ones which i have bred

While I don't question the merit of the venture, IF you don't have/ do these essential bits, you could get yourself in a bit of trouble.

thanks

Good luck though. In relation to the question you asked, I think most of the items on the list are too expensive for what they are, and are not really worth paying for. But thats just me. I do think £170 seems a little high, and is certainly well in excess of what I would pay. Although I suspect I am not really your target market.

thank you for your opion

Andy

answers in red

#39 ·
Ipersonally that kit is not my cup of tea but i dont think thats a bad price. All my vivs under 4ft are glass. It may be worth substituting exo terra with say lucky reptile which s better and cheaper. Maybe even offer substitutes aka 1 lucky rep hide or 1 cork bark hide. Cheaper n prettier. Paper towles or repticarpet

#40 ·
Regardless of the money you make, you will still have to file income with the tax man, which isn't trivial. You may even need to register your home as a business property if you are selling from it.

I'm not trying to discourage you, but you should look into the legal requirements fully before starting up a business (web-based or otherwise).

I must have misunderstood your intentions regarding the leos, this comment: "i dunno i may do if i can get hodl of some really nice morphs" made it look like you intended to source them from elsewhere.

Andy

#41 ·
Regardless of the money you make, you will still have to file income with the tax man, which isn't trivial. You may even need to register your home as a business property if you are selling from it.

I'm not trying to discourage you, but you should look into the legal requirements fully before starting up a business (web-based or otherwise).

I must have misunderstood your intentions regarding the leos, this comment: "i dunno i may do if i can get hodl of some really nice morphs" made it look like you intended to source them from elsewhere.

Andy

thanks for that i will look into it if you direct me to any links would be great

but does that mean everyoen on here who sells reptiles files there income ?? iam sure they dont

and i ment buying a higher end morph then breedign and selling offspring

#42 ·
Breeding as a hobby, and selling the resultant offspring is not the same as buying in 'stock' and selling it for profit. Because of this there are different rules for both. You may find however, that your council requires you to have a PSL for selling livestock in any number (some do), especially if you are selling them with equipment you have bought to sell. It is worth looking into. There are a few large-ish breeders on here that are required to have a PSL because of their councils regulations, and they do not sell equipment.

Andy

#43 ·
To be honest that price would put me off, for what you're putting in it's a fair price but you're putting too much in there.

Why exo terra plants?
why exo terra thermometers?
why the full 3 hides?
why a pack of kitchen roll?

probably others as well.

You don't need to include everything that's fully reptile branded. If you want to sell it as a nice looking viv then throw in some cheaper silk / plastic plants, use cheap digital thermometers off eBay, they don't need an Exo Terra water dish for calcium etc etc and they definately don't need to be given some kitchen roll.
You've also advertised it as a 'starter kit (advanced)'. There's no such thing as an advanced starter kit, it's either starter or advanced, and your setup should really be listed as a 'complete leopard gecko kit' as there's nothing there to upgrade.

If you put it as a proper starter kit:
Viv
Heat Mat
Thermostat
a hide
calcium and vitamins

just the required basics and then offer the rest as upgrades; you'll make the package more desireable. Your price isn't going to get anybody elses attention except to make people think 'bugger me, that's expensive. My mate Jim got his for £100' and then only read it to see why it's so expensive.
As you've included everything you could possibly think of / need; you're pushing the price closer to a beardie starter kit which includes a bigger viv.

#48 ·
As you've included everything you could possibly think of / need; you're pushing the price closer to a beardie starter kit which includes a bigger viv.
Exactly - Crazy reptiles in Norfolk do a beardie starter kit with free baby beardie for £170

#44 ·
sorry dude but there a shop i use u here that do a complete setup quite similar to yours and leo for £130 with 4 weeks live food health care and uv for them aswell

#46 ·
I'm not going to get into all the legalities and so forth, but if I was offering a starter kit I would do it as follows -

Large faunarium
Mat
Mat stat
Small water bowl
2 x hides
Small tub nutrobal
Small ammount of calcium powder
1 tub livefood
A book on leopard gecko care

You certainly don't need a bowl for calcium as you can use a milk bottle top, and dont need a moist hide as they can use an empty marg or cricket tub.

For a complete adult setup I would do it much the same but with a 2x15x15 vivarium. I would try and do a deal with a viv builder rather than buying from a large company. They tend to be much cheaper from people who make vivs and it supports the independants - so win win!

A starter kit is something you use until the young leo has outgrown it and is catching its food fine. I wouldn't put a baby leo in a 2ft viv as I find they will lose interest in food if it gets too far away from them. And it wouldn't be very practical for you to grow every leo on to sub-adult size before selling.

I personaly would have no interest in buying a starter kit, half the fun for me is buying everything I need and choosing exactly what to put in it. I enjoy the searching, ebaying and waiting for different bits to arrive at the door until the 'puzzle' is complete :lol2: but maybe thats jsut me :blush:

I hope this helps a little : victory:

#47 ·
I can buy the whole kit listed in the first post through my wholesaler for £75 plus vat and that's with a habistat thermostat instead of mini stat

If you're paying much more than that you should change suppliers!

We only run one shop so don't get stuff massively cheap - you should shop around the wholesalers

I don't think you can compete online with just the kits but as I said in an earlier post you should offer email/phone support back up - big companies don't do this and it would attract those who are newbies to rep keeping

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.