Reptile Forums banner

Now is it me or?......

2K views 59 replies 24 participants last post by  angelgirls29 
#1 ·
Are we seeing some real crap threads coming through on here these days?

I know I probably am not helping here btw....

But I am seeing a lot of very random things and very little that seems to be sparking good debate and/or giving good advice.
There also seems to be a lot of very poor responses including stuff that's clearly nonsense if not dangerous!

Discuss

#2 ·

But I am seeing a lot of very random things and very little that seems to be sparking good debate and/or giving good advice.
There also seems to be a lot of very poor responses including stuff that's clearly nonsense if not dangerous!

Discuss
Like ??
what thread's post the links then we can discuss better
Ty

#3 ·

Discuss
In general I think it is because it is getting closer to winter time. Brumation starts to frighten new keepers as they do not know what is going on, and yes I have noticed some really poor advice being handed around too.

Also noticed alot of threads about leos with enigma syndroms.

#4 ·
This.

It's all the same things.
Brumation, poorly leo, un-sticky crestie...

But I don't like the debate ones :blush:

I must admit, I feel more confident replying to the poorly leo threads but I like the complicated ones that eg. SleepyD etc answer because then I can learn...
And I never understood people who moaned that they kept seeing the same things again and again but now I realise what they mean because there can be 2 threads next to each other with the exact same thing on.
Also, people keep starting 2 threads on exactly the same topic instead of bumping or waiting for the evening when more users are online.
Eg.
http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/lizards/610545-bd-little-upset-morning.html
http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/lizards/610540-beardie-really-dark-coloured-morning.html

(BTW where is Sleepy?)

#6 ·
I thought it had slowed down... but the shops are picking up... :blush:

#11 ·
With regards the repeat threads, I think people forget that new members/viewers are using the site for the first time on a regular basis (more so in the Winter months when people spend more time in doors) and these people are usually the ones with little or no knowledge re, the care of reptiles and as a result rely on the good people of the forum to give them guidance.
I also think that for every idiot on this site there are 100's of great people only to willing to help out a person desperate for so good advice.
Please don’t dis, the site and its members (even the idiots) because without them we don’t have a forum.
I have been using the site for a couple of years now and have to say that generally speaking I think its one of the best, if not the, of its kind on the web.
Mods,Members and users, keep up the excellent work, as Mark (BRO) has said, lets get some good quality discussions going, keep the :censor: to a minimum and,

lets all have a "MERRY CHRISTMAS" Sorry about that I just wanted to be the first to say it.

THE END

#12 ·
i think maybe there should be a expert section, because the lizard section is being cluttered up with threads that alot of experienced breeders/keepers find boring and very repetitive. Not having a go at these threads if people need help then thats great and its great that they can get it. But maybe a section for the more experienced breeders/keepers would be a good idea.

#13 ·
Well I guess thats why they have a newbie section? But then again I hardly ever pop in there so its easier for them to just post in here. But I am all for newbies asking questions and even asking the same question as someone else did the day before, but it does get exhausting just replying to each one, but I still do it to give them my opinion to help them make up their minds.

What I dont like that much is when people are told what to do, they dont like what they hear, so they wait afew days, let the thread die and start a new thread and hope they hear what they want to the next time. But unfortunatly for them there seems to be alot of detectives in the lizard section and they get rumbled pretty sharpish! haha

#14 ·
As said, its inevitable that new keepers will come on here and ask the same basic questions because they will all be experiencing the same basic problems. It would be easy to point them to previous threads with the relevent answers. That wouldnt be a forum though, it would be a reference library. It wouldnt encourage people to stay or become active on the forum.

I do agree though, it would be great if there were a few more threads that generated healthy debate. Really our hobby needs to be able to develop a collective voice and the forum is one way that could be achieved. When the 'powers that be' look deeper into our hobby it would be great if someone pointed them to RFUK. It could be very useful to show them we actually think about our hobby, that we attempt to share our experience, the fact we learn from each other. It could be used as a great example to show were not all weirdos who keep an odd looking pet in a shabby wooden box.

#16 ·
I agree, I rather enjoy reading the indepth debates that could ultimately change/improve the way we care for our animals. But all too often the threads either get hijacked but a random topic and the main body of the thread is lost, or it ends in a massive argument. I remember wanting to follow quite afew threads to see how they turned out but they ended up snowballing out of control. But as always I look forward to seeing them pop up in the future. If I ever have any strange questions pop into my head I may have to just post them to try and kick start a good debate :2thumb:

#15 ·
another section would be a good idea for the more indepth discussions but this still won't stop the trolls and loonatics posting/reposting threads and trashing desent discusions.

I myself find myself using the forum less and less due to the amount of crap and clutter and basic questions that can be found in care sheets or stickies, after all they do have to scroll past them to look at the threads.

anyway thats my rant over

#18 ·
To be honest mukka that was kind of my point, I know several 'good' people who are no longer replying to/creating threads as they either end up as silly arguments or full of ridiculous responses by people who clearly don't understand the topic.
Now I have said numerous times we all start somewhere and I don't consider myself an expert or better than anyone else. I also know there are folks on here who are more experienced and have more knowledge than I do. However I have also said in the past that research is not just asking questions on here.
I keep only 2 lizard species, for both I started with basics and gained experience where I now at least know the basics and what to keep an eye out for.
Some people don't seem willing/able to even do this, but instead seem to want someone else to just tell them the answer. There are threads from people clearly intending to breed who don't even seem to know the basics. Then there's those who ask 'what's the best pairing' etc! Who knows what the best pairing is? Surely it's subjective? I like snows and patternless type Leo's, some people won't like them and prefer bold markings and tangerines. Basically, too many people want everything done for them and tbh it's getting boring IMO. For me most of the 'fun' in rep keeping is learning and doing what I see fit, not what someone else reckons I should do....

Then there's the posts/posters that just make you cringe.....

In any walk of life there will be people you like and agree with and those who rub you up the wrong way and you think are talking bull. For me the shame is there seem to be more of the latter on here these days and fewer of the former and I for one am finding the site poorer for it.

#17 ·
your right there is a newbie section but the problem with that is your getting newbies ask newbies questions and there getting newbie answers so you cant blame them for posting in the lizard section. I do think rather then a newbie section maybe it should be a expert section maybe have a few more mods just for that section and get it policed alot better i.e repeated threads from a short time ago deleted , any advice type questions moved to the lizard section etc.Im sure theres a few people here who woudnt mind being a mod for just one section.

#20 ·
ive seen a few posts on wanting healthy debate etc....just interested as to what would be a good debate subject then?

maybe if there were a few pointers on what people would like, I could start one (or someone else could)

#21 ·
Its like any other forum, a relative newbie posts an interesting subject and within hours its on page two and forgotten because they are not part of the clique.

Regular poster posts the same subject days later and within hours it 6 pages full of tosh as everyone starts fighting.

Big orums like this I find are a great laugh and do contain some gems of info but for a real discussion I ind the smaller forums better suited as there are less idiots looking to start a fight.

#24 ·
well i suppose Im a relative newbie, and deffo not part of any clique *sobs* so I will just start one asking what morph is my leo then ;)

#31 ·
i don't mind seeing the repeated threads, what does piss me off is seeing people starting a new thread daily.
Day 1 - hi, my leo did this is it ok
Day 2 - well after my leo did that yesterday it did this today and i just though i'd tell you
Day 3 - just thought i'd let you know what happened with my leo yesterday.

i just really want to stab these people in the eye with a toaster. If you've got an active thread going then stick with it instead of starting 400 related threads.

#32 ·
I have found this too, and they start a second thread whilst still commenting on the first........... so therefore the the 1st page in the lizard forum is choca with threads about the same thing, although I admit, this has made me mosey elsewhere on RFUK and dig up loads of other things.
( phibs are pretty cool) :blush:
Although I am a reasonably new keeper, I search for info and PM members for advice, before I post a thread.
I like the informative posts and find that they are becoming few and far between......... as PurpleVixen said these posts are not being used and are being ignored, So in turn are not being posted by the more knowledgeable people of the community.
Sorry but I'm more of a snooper than a poster now...... Have discovered off topics though :)

#33 ·
Forum, for'ummm anyone and everyone...

I agree with some of what has been said but disagree with more. :devil:

Like most, this is an open forum for the inexperienced, experienced, highly educated and the not so highly educated, young, old (that would be me) male (that would be me also) female etc… if the owners, administrators and moderators have no complaints about the way things are going then you have to accept that this is forum life and tolerance is the order of the day.

If anyone feels that this is not how a forum should be there is always the option of going to the trouble of setting up a forum your self and making it very exclusive (your forum your rules:bash:)…that should be fun, a forum full of narrow minded, intolerant experts…:whistling2:

I am a newbie and I have to fess up, I’m not a big or passionate reptile keeper. We have one bearded dragon which my daughter looks after very well, thanks to this forum and some of the people on it. I decided to hang around because I find it interesting and I continue to learn, also I feel, correct me if I’m deluding my self, I add a little humour to some of the threads, when and where appropriate of course.:whistling2:

I have replied on the basis that I am an avid multi forum user for my other interests and not specific to the general subject of this or any other forum.

Anyway that’s my bit said, hope I haven’t offended anyone because it is not my intention to do so.:halo:

:cheers:windy

#37 ·
I tried to be a good noob, as I'm sure a lot of people did.
I do search threads for answers to questions I think have been answered, and get offended for example someone actually typed a thread "too many posts to read about enigma..." the other day, when I trawled through hundreds looking for respiratory infections earlier in the week!
And yes, the "booboo took a dump" threads aren't necessary. I think some people need to be taught inner monologue.
Maybe with some questions being repeated though it means we should make more stickies to cover the topics?

#41 ·
And yes, the "booboo took a dump" threads aren't necessary.
Maybe not to you but to the OP waiting for their rep to poo or head for the great viv in the sky it's a pretty big deal.:blush:

OK, so if it's just to show off a great steaming heap of poo and say "mines bigger than yours" : victory: then it probably is unnecessary but then you don't have to enter the thread if the tittle doesn't appeal to you...:whistling2:

:no1:

windy

#40 ·
that's down to the wrong title.
When you think about it, it's a bloody stupid title as it explains what brumation is. You need to know what brumation is before you read the sticky. If it was called it's winter and my beardie isn't doing much... what's wrong? then more people might click it and find out that their beardie is brumating.

#42 ·
that's down to the wrong title.
When you think about it, it's a bloody stupid title as it explains what brumation is. You need to know what brumation is before you read the sticky. If it was called it's winter and my beardie isn't doing much... what's wrong? then more people might click it and find out that their beardie is brumating.
Well, ive said it before and I'll say it again..."you're a smart arse"....:lol2:

Top idea and great tittle for a sticky. :no1:

I would like to vote Meko to the position of sticky tittle namer...anyone like to second it...: victory:

windy

#46 ·
My thread title choice was a bad one, esp considering poo can be used for so much :p

what I meant was some people update every 2 seconds stuff which is just run of the mill as someone previously mentioned, and yes there is a Block/ignore function.

That sticky title would be better- yes!

#48 ·
Bloomin eck folks, you have been busy !
:gasp:

Anyway, nice to see your thoughts, as a number seem to agree (and of course some don't...) it seems to prove that I wasn't just having a bad day (again) when I raised the original post. I have no probs with 'newbs/dozy questions' as we have probably all been there, it was more the silly responses and threads on things which were either basics found on any care sheet or the 'pick me the best coloured gecko' type threads that were getting my goat a bit.

Anyway - back in me box....

Oh and as for the East/West side of the hill - Westside all the way obv !

:Na_Na_Na_Na::lol2:

(Though I am from Cheshhhh IYRE don't you know.................) :no1:

#50 ·
I am a newbie to the site and been out of the reptile keeping 'game' for a few years. Coming back into it Ive noticed the changes, and been using and abusing the search button on this site. When I cant find the answer or its not detailed enough then I post.
I must say some people have been brilliant but most have ignored my posts. I dont wana post them again cause I am starting to feel as though I am being a pain.
How am I suppose to get around this?

#55 ·
hi shezell,
i have read your pm. i have a day off tomror. so will post a response then. plese forgive me, i havent had the time to go into it in depth. not ignoring you.
:2thumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.