Uro-madness! - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Lizards

Old 24-11-2010, 06:27 PM
Forum Citizen
Red face Uro-madness!

I've had my uromastyx for about 2 months now. He is about a year old the reptile shop guy said, all his temps are ok and he eats, poo's and sheds fine too. The only thing that worries me is his overactive behaviour, he literally gets up every morning and scratches the glass all day, if I let him out he just makes a dash for it and I have to put him straight back in after a minute. He is friendly with me and will sit on my hand for a few seconds but it worries me that he seems to be trying to escape all day everyday! Sorry for the short novel, any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 24-11-2010, 08:28 PM
5 Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHeadBen View Post
I've had my uromastyx for about 2 months now. He is about a year old the reptile shop guy said, all his temps are ok and he eats, poo's and sheds fine too. The only thing that worries me is his overactive behaviour, he literally gets up every morning and scratches the glass all day, if I let him out he just makes a dash for it and I have to put him straight back in after a minute. He is friendly with me and will sit on my hand for a few seconds but it worries me that he seems to be trying to escape all day everyday! Sorry for the short novel, any ideas?
While I havent kept uros, I have found similarities with my beardies and geckos that I have kept. They tend to take some time to get to trust you. I find that short handling sessions (like under 5 minutes) are almost worst than a long handling session as it might cause more stress while they calm down. If you try hard (get someone to help you), try to let him calm down and relax when he is out. For example my tokay always makes a dash for a dark area when I get him out, but if you block him off and left him walk about over you, after afew minutes he calms down and chills right out.

So my advice is just try and preserver with the handling and see if he calms down abit. At the end of the day it comes down to trust, he has to trust you that you arnt a predator.

(but then again I may be completely wrong and this doesnt apply to uros so it will be good to hear what some uro owners say)
Old 24-11-2010, 08:35 PM
Hatchling

hi mate, all my Uros will try and get out sometimes, If I have had them out, or just hand the front of the viv for them to roam when I close the viv they will try and get out. But it sounds like your Uro is doing it more often :/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 24-11-2010, 11:18 PM
Hatchling

Mine does the same thing, both the relaxed one and the hyper one will both scratch at the glass. Starts at about 9.30 in the morning (hell on a saturday morning when you've got a hangover ) and continues till they start settling down go to bed about 3.30 in half hour bouts (they like to have a warm inbetween). I tend to think of it was teenagers burning off mad energy.

If you can get them try coaxing them with nisturtun (god knows the spelling of that) flower or dendelion flowers

Good luck honey
Old 25-11-2010, 09:16 PM
Forum Citizen

Thanks for your replies guys I will try all of your suggestions! Just had him out and he was fine, no escape attempts, just a little nosey round the living room, sat on his uv box and then climbed back in his viv. But that is bearing in mind he is calmer at this time. Hopefully he will chillout with age..speaking of, what is their growth rate and what size is full size? Cheeeers x
Old 25-11-2010, 09:25 PM
Hatchling

Uros grow to 16" at the most for the majority of species. This usually takes anywhere up to three years sometimes two years or that's my experience.
Old 25-11-2010, 11:11 PM
Premier Citizen

It depends on what type of uro you have some species grow larger than others and the occelated which is what i have got is the smallest of them al.. mine cant be more than 7 in and he`s around 10 mths.
Old 25-11-2010, 11:58 PM
Regular

Uromastyx are so cool! im currently researching them, hopefully getting one next year. They have a blue and orange adult ocellated uro in the reptile shack up the road for me and as soon as i saw him i knew i wanted one!

any pics of user's uros?

Peace, Ben
Proud owner of 1 Female Bearded Dragon-'Shady', 1 Male Royal Python- 'Monty', 2 Male White's Tree Frogs- 'Bert' & 'Ernie', and 1 male Veiled Chameleon- 'Bob' [R.I.P Alley & Marley my beloved Leos xxx]
Old 26-11-2010, 09:15 PM
Forum Citizen

Here ya go jayfrog, this is the little terror himself!

http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forum...pic-heavy.html
Old 27-11-2010, 12:09 AM
Super Citizen

I have a house of mad uros , mr spikey enjoys nothing more then dancing st the glass and finding new things to investigate around my flat and my occolated trio go mad at the first sight of my oh half food flights everywhere. I'll try and get pics of them on Sunday x