Bearded dragon not eating - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Lizards

Old 16-01-2011, 11:30 AM
Hatchling
Unhappy Bearded dragon not eating

We have two 7 month old beardies, the tempratures are the same as they have allways been. They seem too be fine in themselves. But when it comes too feeding the last few days they just dont seem interested. Same as usual I put the correct size crickets along with fresh veg this morning. Spike ate none and scampi had one. Im thinking something is up. My guess is tummy bug(parasitic), anyone have any good ideas. I will probably take too vets tommorrow to see what he reckons. yesterday they ate a few but not as many as I would like. Their poo,s may be slightly runnier but Im not sure. Any questions or advice cheers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 16-01-2011, 11:40 AM
Premier Citizen

Could be worms, mine had them at that age, and it put him off his food, you will need to take some fresh stools with you so the vet can check for worms.

This is what they look like, though you can't always see them this clearly, by the way, if you are eating right now you might want to stop

Good luck

Jay
Old 16-01-2011, 11:49 AM
5 Star Member

you need to go vets and get it sorted there are clearly worms in its poop

Miracle my first ever hatchling , born 10/07/2012 and weighed 3g xx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 16-01-2011, 11:52 AM
5 Star Member

o sorry though pic was from person who started thread lol. you can get a 3 day sample and send to pals, if you ring them they will send a tub , place faeces in this then once have 3 send it off it cost £45.60 inc VAT , they will test for everything . theres a thread somewere about pals on here

Miracle my first ever hatchling , born 10/07/2012 and weighed 3g xx
Old 16-01-2011, 12:31 PM
5 Star Member
Send a message via AIM to woodrott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendragon View Post
Could be worms, mine had them at that age, and it put him off his food, you will need to take some fresh stools with you so the vet can check for worms.

This is what they look like, though you can't always see them this clearly, by the way, if you are eating right now you might want to stop

Good luck

Jay

shit jay????

that's some infested poo

in 14 years ive never seen adult worms in one of my dragons poo
ive only ever seen it once in an adult i got in from Germany
Old 16-01-2011, 12:40 PM
Hatchling

[QUOTE=Pendragon;7620230]Could be worms, mine had them at that age, and it put him off his food, you will need to take some fresh stools with you so the vet can check for worms.

Good luck

Jay[/Q

There is no visible signs of worms and the poo is a lot more solid than the image you have shown, but thanks for response its educational........
Old 16-01-2011, 01:16 PM
Oh God - not her AGAIN

Yes it could easily be parasites / worms and always worth getting that checked out. Is your UV coming up to 6 months old? If so then that might need changing - most only last for about 6 months before the UV levels emitted become too low. This would affect appetite also.

Are they in the same viv? I am guessing Spike is a male - is Scampi a female? Spike will be coming up to puberty now so if they are in together they really ought to be separated ASAP.

Eublepharis macularius 7.18
Timon lepidus 2.1
Lygodactylus williamsi 4.0
Teratoscincus roborowski 1.0
Phelsuma grandis 2.2
Bellatorias frerei 1.2
Pogona vitticeps 1.0
Old 16-01-2011, 01:56 PM
Hatchling
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jools View Post
Yes it could easily be parasites / worms and always worth getting that checked out. Is your UV coming up to 6 months old? If so then that might need changing - most only last for about 6 months before the UV levels emitted become too low. This would affect appetite also.

Are they in the same viv? I am guessing Spike is a male - is Scampi a female? Spike will be coming up to puberty now so if they are in together they really ought to be separated ASAP.
Not sure of the sexing, the names were just given. The uv tube will be renewed after six months thats around march time.
They are from the same batch when born is this a problem.
Old 16-01-2011, 02:13 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodrott View Post
shit jay????

that's some infested poo

in 14 years ive never seen adult worms in one of my dragons poo
ive only ever seen it once in an adult i got in from Germany
Tell me about it!

And this was after I took him to the vet to have a checkup and fecal done as a precation as I didn't rate the hygene standards of the shop we got him from (French!)

My o/h knows all about these things (she's done them herself at work) so instructed the vet to do various tests, (flotation? as well as visual). He came back with a clean bill of health. But within a month he had gone off his food, and that's when he produced that "mess" in the pic above.

When we took him back to the vet and asked what exactly they had done, it turns out they "didn't bother" doing a full test, as they didn't think it was worth it, even though we had asked for one!!

Jay
Old 16-01-2011, 03:24 PM
Oh God - not her AGAIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by jethrob View Post
Not sure of the sexing, the names were just given. The uv tube will be renewed after six months thats around march time.
They are from the same batch when born is this a problem.
This may be a problem - yes.
If you have 2 males they will not get along. At best one will become dominant to the other causing the dominated one to stop feeding and basking leading to a downward spiral. At worst they will fight to the death.
If you have 1 male, 1 female then this is also a problem. The male will mature earlier than the female and constantly pester her for sex. This will cause her much stress. She would probably become gravid while too young/small which would be very detrimental to her.
If you have 2 females then they may be fine together. But even 2 girls can have dominance issues.

You really need to get them sexed ASAP - quite easy at their age - and take appropriate action regarding separating depending on what genders you have.

Eublepharis macularius 7.18
Timon lepidus 2.1
Lygodactylus williamsi 4.0
Teratoscincus roborowski 1.0
Phelsuma grandis 2.2
Bellatorias frerei 1.2
Pogona vitticeps 1.0

Tags
bearded dragon