Reptile Forums banner

Leo stuck skin?

446 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Ophexis 
#1 ·
Hello :)
Got my leo Bruce about a week ago from a friend who's had him for about 10 years, and I guess he's had a lot of trouble shedding as his toes are misformed and he's only got about 3 claws left. :( It doesn't really seem to bother him, though. He didn't have any sort of moist shelter when I got him, either.

Thing is, he has stuck skin left around the very bottom of his toes, that I think may have been on there for about three weeks, as he hasn't shed whilst I've had him, and his colour is dulling. I don't want him to lose any more toes/claws, so what's the best way to get the old skin off of him? He has a hide with moist paper towels in, but I think the skin's stuck on pretty firmly or he doesn't realise it's there because it's still on the end of his toes. I've managed to get the skin around his feet off with tweezers, as a lot of that was quite loose, but the skin round the end of his feet seems to be stuck firm, and I really want to get it off him.

Thanks, :2thumb:

#2 ·
Soak his feet : victory:
Fill a tub with lukewarm/tepid water up to his ankles and leave him in it for 10-15 minutes, to soak his feet, then try and ease the shed off with a moist cotton bud.
If it persists, keep bathing him until the shed is off - there is a commercially available aid called Shed-Ease or something along those lines that can help as well.
Just don't pull the skin off, as it could damage th skin underneath! : victory:

#4 ·
Get a tub of water (luke-warm) put him in it and put the lid on so humidity is raised, put air wholes in the lid, don't let the water level go above his shoulders, after 20 mins take him out and get a cotton bud and try to manipulate the shed of, get some sphagnum moss and put this in a clean butter tub with a whole in the top, make sure the moss is moist but not dripping wet, give the moss a daily sprey and do the bathing method daily until it's of.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.