panther chameleon setup advice please :) - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Lizards

Old 15-11-2007, 11:28 AM
Premier Citizen
Default panther chameleon setup advice please :)

ok so i am going to be getting 1 or maybe 2 panther chameleon babies in about 3 months time and want to make sure iv got everything right for them but iv got some conflicting advice on the setup.

im planning on getting an AX36 vivexotic viv (the 4foot high and 3 foot wide one) and then sectioning it up to smaller areas which will depend on if i get 1 or 2. not sure how to section it off so any advice would be great!!

anyway, the problem is iv been told by some people that this viv will have adequate ventilation and by others that it wont, do i need to replace the top wooden pannel with mesh? or are the ventilation pannels enough?

and then in terms of lighting/heating, some people say i need a heat mat on the bottom side 24hours a day to keep ambiant temps up? is this true?

i was also told i dont need a dimming stat and just to get a 25W bulb but im realy not sure about that as isnt there still the possibility of over heating them!!??

and depending on if the top is replaced with mesh do i put the bulb inside or outside and does it need a reflector? obviously if no reflector then it would need to be inside out of reach of the cham so as not to burn itself on it.

and is the reptisun 10 best for chams or is repti sun 5 enough? im using reptisun 10 for my beardies as i know its best but do chams need as much uv?

and are the water misting systems worth the money as the person im talking too says i should get one as using a plastic cup with a pin prick in doesnt work and its better than spraying them 2-3 times a day?

iv also been advised on getting a waterfall to keep humidity up but iv read that these just breed bacteria and are a waste of space??

then i obviously need vines and plants, are those bendy jungle vines any good?

im getting alot of conflicting advice and wanted to know what was really true as even all the caresheets differ in what they say and i want to know what is REALLY best as i know baby chams are very fragile and want to make sure everything is perfect but dont want to buy things that are unnecessary and a waste of money.

any advice is really really appreicated!! thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 15-11-2007, 04:34 PM
Premier Citizen

anyone know anything about this?
Old 15-11-2007, 05:27 PM
Ultra Citizen

you will want to house all the panthers seperately, dont put them in together.
The following is taken from Marcus' care sheet who is a well known panther breeder
Quote:
Heat must be provided from above using a 60W spotlight housed in an aluminium reflector which is then positioned on the top of the ‘outside so that the chameleon cannot come into direct contact thus avoiding the possibility of burns.
A ‘daylight’ striplight such as the Arcadia D3 strip which provides full spectrum light including 5% UVB (and should also be used with the appropriate reflector) should also be laid across the top of the vivarium to supply background lighting and promote healthy growth.
This provides the light and heat and this should be provided for 12 hours a day (my lights are on from 8am to 8pm).
Provided that the room you have them in is warm at night you shouldn’t need any night-time heating. A night-time temperature of 18C would be my recommended minimum.
The vivarium should be kitted out with a bushy Ficus plant (sold at garden-centres as an indoor pot plant) and some extra branches (garden shrub prunings are ideal) to enable the chameleon to reach all parts of the vivarium and to enable it to bask within 3-4 inches of the underside of the spotlight. The floor should be covered with a two inch layer of fine grade Rainforest Substrate (coconut bark) and kept damp which helps to retain humidity.
Also personally I dont think the misting systems are any good. Ive heard of the problems with them and the bad sides(high price included) outweigh the good sides. Waterfalls are good but need alot of cleaning especially when you feed live insects as they often drown in there and you need to clean them out every week which is alot of hassle. And finally the bendy vines are great for chams. I use them for mine, either the lucky reptile or the exo terra ones!

2.7.0 Crested Gecko - Rhacodactlyus ciliatus
0.0.2 Mossy Gecko - Rhacodactlyus Chahoua
0.1.0 Chinese Water Dragon - Physignathus cocinci
1.1.0 Saharan Uromastyx - Uromastyx geyri

Last edited by Torres13; 15-11-2007 at 05:30 PM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 15-11-2007, 06:31 PM
Premier Citizen

yeah if i get two i will be housing them separately

ill be dividing the viv up so they cant get to each other or see each other.

ok so the misting systems are a waste of money, i dont need a 10% i can get a 5% (these need replacing every 6 months as opposed to every 10 months for the 10%) does it matter on the make of the tube or is the cheapest ok?

so i do need a reflector - might be stupid but what do reflectors actually do? and does it matter which one i get?

so what i need is;
-the viv divided up to smaller section/s with top replaced with mesh????
- 36" 5% UV tube
-36" Reflector
-1 starter unit
-bulb reflector with plug(x 2) (the plastic fitting not ceramic)
-spot bulb (x2)
-1 timer
-plants and fake bendy vines
- small ficus or umbrella tree?
-plastic cup with hole pricked in for dripper
-spray bottles for spraying

(calypso and nutrobal)

is that everything?
Old 15-11-2007, 08:39 PM
Super Citizen
Lightbulb

hi!
ive done exactly what your thinking!
heres some pics.

theres no way of dividing the 1 viv to hold 2 chams. so i bought 2 ax36
and ive put a shelf in 1 so far but will have the other 1 done soon. im also waiting for the cabinet to be deliverd for the second viv. im having a cham in each top viv, 2 giant day geckos in 1 of the bottom vivs and 2 beardies in the other! so 4 vivs for the price of 2! the only thing is you need to buy some toughened glass for the bottom vivs as the glass you get with it is 1 solid pane. this cost around £40 in total for both vivs.
i bought the wood from B&Q for £12 and they cut it for free! (1 peice of wood made 2 shelfs!)

as you can see aswell ive put extra vents in aswell which i got off ebay 12 for around £10 there exactly the same as the others in the viv!

this is the bottom viv i put extra vents in here to.
as foor a misting system i bought a zoomed system for £70 and it was crap so took it back and paid £30 more and got the luckyreptile rain maker connected to a luckyreptile 1 second pro timer which cost a tenner. and its brilliant. a real fine mist comes out 4 times a day for around 20 seconds
and it can be connected up to around 15 vivs at the same time! definatly worth the money! i have a lucky reptile pro thermostat connected to a 250 watt ceramic heater at the mo but going to get rid of it cuz i want microclimate dimmer stats in each viv (much cheaper!)
hope this helps. pm me if you need any questions answering.

MEMBER NUMBER: 6840

Old 15-11-2007, 09:02 PM
Premier Citizen

oh thats awesome thanks!!
Old 15-11-2007, 09:11 PM
Super Citizen

no probs! if just wanted 2 vivs though it would be cheaper and less hassel to buy 2 ax22 vivs! although 4 vivs built into 2 units looks realy smart and means you can keep more reptiles.

Old 15-11-2007, 09:27 PM
Premier Citizen

but the AX 22's are too big for baby chams though??
Old 15-11-2007, 09:55 PM
Super Citizen

their smaller than the ax36! aslong as you can get the chams to feed from a dish while you watch then they will be fine. the reason people say dont put baby chams in big vivs is cuz they cant find there food! i hand feed my chams every day from either my hand or a beaker it only takes ten mins to feed both and it builds trust between them and you! in the wild they dont live in a small viv! in the wild though they have plenty of insects to pick and choose from. also the dripper isnt needed if you have a mister cuz they drink the drops of water on the leaves on the plants (my chams do anyway)

Old 15-11-2007, 10:17 PM
Gold Star Member

I keep my panthers in exo-terra vivs. The glass sides and front allow for a bit of humidity build uo directly after spraying and the mesh top allows for a reasonable level of ventilation.

I use a 10% UV buld and reflector and provide a basking spot using a spot buld or halogen desk lamp.

Panthers up to about 7 or 8 months are fine in the 30x30x45cm (LxWxH) exo terra model.

I don't use a misting system, just a spray bottle twice per day.

Stuart