Alternative staple to crickets - Page 10 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Lizards

Old 21-06-2011, 01:35 AM
Super Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by flutter View Post
I wish people would read..........

I doubt whether he'd take locus. My local pet stores don't stock locus small enough and I'm not bulk buying them online, they'd escape, be too many to care for for too long until the supply has dwindled down.

And mealworms aren't good for beardies of my size, cocking hazard, impaction.....

Can anyone answer the question please, this isn't helpful lol.
What's a cocking hazard?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 21-06-2011, 01:35 AM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by throbmagon View Post
Our dragons were also afraid of crickets! We started to feed them locusts but they still do not eat very much. They are very lazy when it comes to feeding prefering to be hand fed the small amount of veg they eat and will only take water out of a dropper.
We are trying to breed the locusts now, we have followed everything to the letter but the eggs keep turning black and dying?
Any ideas?
Thanks! Good to know I'm not the only one, mine runs away from crickets sometimes. Think I'm guna try and crack my locus problems, coz thats the staple I want to use. I'll have a chat with the place I get my food from, see what they say.
Old 21-06-2011, 01:40 AM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doug View Post
What's a cocking hazard?
pmsl choking..... that was the google chrome version of iPhone autocorrect fails lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 21-06-2011, 01:43 AM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetley View Post
Heh, I'm a teacher and I can promise you now if this is a pet peeve, you will get upset fairly quickly (if it's secondary you are looking at, no idea on primary). I teach at a grammar school, and I have daily encounters with girls who don't listen to what I'm saying, or don't answer the question in front of them, but rather the one that is in their head...still love the job though

Good luck with that - I find it's the most rewarding thing I have ever done. Bloody hard work though! I think the challenge is the best thing about it though, and the fact that no day will ever be the same as the last

On the beardie front, I have no advice to give, since I do not and never have owned a beardie, only a leo - I just got excited when you said you wanted to teach lol I'm so sad!
Most teachers get exited with other people wanting to teach which is great. And nah, its a good pet peeve for teaching science I find, because not reading the question counts for a lot of mistakes in science!
Old 21-06-2011, 10:05 AM
Premier Member
Reviews: 20

Quote:
pmsl choking..... that was the google chrome version of iPhone autocorrect fails lol
I have to say they really arnt. Mealworms can be used as a staple and are used all over the world by breaders, keepers and general beardie keepers.

I do hate it when people recite myths and general untruths without facts. There are numerious threads, papers, and acadamic journal articles where this is disproven. one of which has already been linked in latter pages. mealworms are fine. As you said earlier on, if one is wrong, you should correct them. Well we are all trying to correct you. There is nothing wrong with meal worms. it is a myth recited by people incorrectly that is intwinded with so many things now its unreal. The paper linked earlier on and others can be provided to prove this if you still doubt it. There is nothing wrong with gut loaded mealworms.

There is nothing wrong with using gutloaded mealworms from straight out of the egg untill the moment of death. They are absolulty fine.

To you point on the previous page, waxworms are good as a treat and are the quilivant to reptile choclate. These are in the little coloured pots usually.

jay

Keeper of all things pygmy

Staffordshire Exotics Society
Last Sunday of the month
Come along if you are in the area
Next meetings 31st March and 28th April

Last edited by Spikebrit; 21-06-2011 at 10:12 AM..
Old 21-06-2011, 08:07 PM
Regular

Quote:
Cyber bullying causes countless suicides a year, good to know your ok with contributing....... Have a nice day

If you consider that as bullying good luck in your teaching career !!!
Old 22-06-2011, 03:04 AM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG1973 View Post
If you consider that as bullying good luck in your teaching career !!!
I don't need luck, I've not even started my PGCE (teaching qualification) and I already have countless job offers from some of the best schools in the country!

Bullies bully because of their own insecurities, so what is it with you? I use to mentor so I have many numbers I can give you to help you out, and failing that I can refer you to somewhere that can help. I'd give you places you can go, but I doubt your where I'm based.
Old 22-06-2011, 03:32 AM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikebrit View Post
I have to say they really arnt. Mealworms can be used as a staple and are used all over the world by breaders, keepers and general beardie keepers.

I do hate it when people recite myths and general untruths without facts. There are numerious threads, papers, and acadamic journal articles where this is disproven. one of which has already been linked in latter pages. mealworms are fine. As you said earlier on, if one is wrong, you should correct them. Well we are all trying to correct you. There is nothing wrong with meal worms. it is a myth recited by people incorrectly that is intwinded with so many things now its unreal. The paper linked earlier on and others can be provided to prove this if you still doubt it. There is nothing wrong with gut loaded mealworms.

There is nothing wrong with using gutloaded mealworms from straight out of the egg untill the moment of death. They are absolulty fine.

To you point on the previous page, waxworms are good as a treat and are the quilivant to reptile choclate. These are in the little coloured pots usually.

jay
Yeah, I'm going to read the papers on it and stuff, then I can make my own decision. Why wouldn't I, I'm not the cyber bullies that can't admit that what they did was wrong.......... That guy who called me a moron can actually be done for assault. I'm not even kidding, if he did it in person it'd be verbal assault, can't remember what its called in writing.

I'll get back to you guys about the research, because I've just graduated from my chemistry degree so I can look and see if its good research. Unfortunately not all research is good and people see what they want to see with their results, at the end of the day writing a paper that confirms what everyone knew already does suck lol.
Old 22-06-2011, 04:06 AM
Regular

Libel! It just came to me then. I can't believe that RFUK want to be associated with this kind of behaviour, all the other forums I've been on for my other pets tend to delete this kind of abuse soon as it is found, and it makes for a very pleasant forum. I duno, I guess that RFUK is maybe different, this isn't the 1st case I've seen of RFUK members behaving in this way unfortunately. I have a beardeddragon.org account already, they're good but not as rapid response as on here. Can anybody else recommend another forum? because if the moderators don't sort this matter out I'll have to leave, some of you are amazingly helpful but I don't want to support this other negative behaviour, it can have too many negative effects and I've had too many people pass from people like this bullying them. Its just sad that other people's ego can cause such a loss, and they can't even change their ways when educated.
Old 22-06-2011, 04:09 AM
Premier Citizen

I am pretty sure this flutter is a troll

DaveG1973 likes this.

Last edited by imginy; 22-06-2011 at 04:51 AM..
Closed Thread

Tags
alternative , bearded dragon , live , staple , worm