My beardie doesn't like me :( - Page 2 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Lizards

Old 05-09-2011, 12:00 AM
Super Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaBoo2010 View Post

Well, enough is enough. I'm determined to make him at least tolerate me.

As a first point let me tell you; No reptile WANTS to be handled, it merely tolerates you as a keeper and therefore you should never set your standards high. It's all to do with trust and the best way to create that special bond with your pet is food bribes, done by hand feeding.

Some of the most common causes of aggressive behaviour are simple ones such as substrate stuck in the door runners (makes a god-awful sound when glass opened) and will be amplified to the beardy.

Another is it's husbandry. It may not feel safe, or it may have crickets nibbling away at it at night (causing great deals of stress). If the enclosure is too small for it's liking then it will reward you with a little bite.

Another VERY common cause of aggressive behaviour in a beardy is it's "third eye". Predators will be detected by this in the wild and the beardies natural instict is to either run, or stand it's ground and give you a souvineer (spellchecker please). Try to avoid putting your hand behind/above him when you go to pick him up.

Finally, i would check for mites. They can cause a great deal of stress so have a little peek and make sure it's definatly not that.

I would suggest you get some coloured tongs and spend the next few weeks feeding him with them. They will soon associate the colour & object with food. Once he is doing that without going mad you can ditch the tongs and use your hands instead. This way he will then associate you with food rather than the tongs, and that special bond will begin. The final step is to open the viv doors and place the box of food just outside the enclosure.

I hope this helps and sorry if i have covered things over people have already said, i briefly read SOME of your post and nobodies replies. Let me know how you get on.

Edit from here: Please don't give up. It really doesnt take that long and to be honest rehoming the poor bugger will only make him worse for the next owner, and all your hard work would have been for nothing. Perseverance is the key, i should know as i have had an AWD for 9 months that still wont tame down, but he gets handled every day and were slowly working on the trust issues. If you really want him to get better then you can't give up on him, and tbh (and i risk sounding like a tosser here) it's not really fair to just palm him off when you have come so far together.
stinglestick likes this.

Last edited by G.R/Trooper; 05-09-2011 at 12:11 AM.. Reason: Addition
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2011, 12:22 AM
Regular

Hi, thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately, I've already tried those things. There's no noisy substrate in the door runners, I'm always very careful to approach him at his level or lower, he's in a vivexotic ex48 viv, so definitely big enough for him, I feed him locusts (because i hate crickets) and they're never left in the viv with him overnight, so he's definitely not being nibbled and the temps in his viv are good. He also does not have mites, he's very healthy as far as I can tell.

He eats, poos and sheds well and generally seems quite happy as long as I'm not trying to touch him. He'll eat from my hand just fine, but if I try to touch him he gets very aggressive. his viv is on a cabinet, so I can't really tempt him out of it.

I already admitted to being naive when I got him. I chose a beardie because everything I read said they were docile lizards that are easy to handle. Like I said, I didn't expect him to be a cuddly pet, but I did expect to be able to handle him. I've tried and I'm still trying, but we got to the stage we're at now very quickly and I just can't seem to make anymore progress with him.

Edited to add: when I first got him, I could handle him fine. As he got older and bigger, he became more aggressive. I admit I didn't help matters by avoiding handling him after he bit me, but that doesn't explain why he became aggressive in the first place and I've been trying to handle him every day for the last 2 months and we're just not making progress anymore.

Last edited by BeccaBoo2010; 05-09-2011 at 12:27 AM..
Old 05-09-2011, 12:29 AM
Ultra Citizen

you could try putting one hand on the floor in the viv and hand a locust in the other hand and see if you can encourage him to climb onto your hand to get the locust,
once he is doing that you can start to lift your hand of the ground an inch or so at a time so you have him sat on your hand compleatly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2011, 02:17 AM
Forum Citizen

becca, perservere with it honestly my sisters beardy used to be a viscious so n so and its taken nearly a year to get him to a point where he will be picked up but his brother bert is so placid its unbeleiveable.
my bert is placid aswell,

Keep trying with the hand food association, try and coax him onto your arm when feeding,

i.e holdin mealworm etc up by your elbow and coaxing him up there, maybe once he learns that your not going to harm him, and your there go care for him he may calm down more to what he is. i beg you dont rehome him just because of this, i feel that you would regret it.

RIP Barker Tokay Gecko
RIP Star Tokay Gecko

http://jsouthernelectricalsltd.services.officelive.com
Old 05-09-2011, 10:59 AM
Super Citizen

Quote:
Hi, thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately, I've already tried those things. There's no noisy substrate in the door runners, I'm always very careful to approach him at his level or lower, he's in a vivexotic ex48 viv, so definitely big enough for him, I feed him locusts (because i hate crickets) and they're never left in the viv with him overnight, so he's definitely not being nibbled and the temps in his viv are good. He also does not have mites, he's very healthy as far as I can tell.

He eats, poos and sheds well and generally seems quite happy as long as I'm not trying to touch him. He'll eat from my hand just fine, but if I try to touch him he gets very aggressive. his viv is on a cabinet, so I can't really tempt him out of it.

I already admitted to being naive when I got him. I chose a beardie because everything I read said they were docile lizards that are easy to handle. Like I said, I didn't expect him to be a cuddly pet, but I did expect to be able to handle him. I've tried and I'm still trying, but we got to the stage we're at now very quickly and I just can't seem to make anymore progress with him.

Edited to add: when I first got him, I could handle him fine. As he got older and bigger, he became more aggressive. I admit I didn't help matters by avoiding handling him after he bit me, but that doesn't explain why he became aggressive in the first place and I've been trying to handle him every day for the last 2 months and we're just not making progress anymore.
It can take a long time to tame a reptile, the key is to keep at it. "Trying" those things will just not work, you need to keep doing them and make it as frequent as possible. Even turning the lights out at night and then placing your hand inside (he will be a bit slower and tolerant of you like this) will show an improvement. Unfortunatly once again it's a classic case of people buying things and not taking responsibility for them. I know i sound like an arse but this is a reason why so many beardies are found ill-treated and/or up for rehoming; because the buyer didnt research enough. You can not take an animal and place it in a box with the expectance that he/she will be instantly tame, these are not dogs & cats. Keep working with it and the end result will be overwhelming.

Old 05-09-2011, 11:26 AM
Forum Citizen

Im lucky that mine is the most placid thing going and somedays to laid back, nothing he likes more then being stroked and getting attention, must be a nightmare but bear with it i got mine as an adult and have had him coming up for two months now it took some time but i have a great relationship with him now, he never bit but he used to be very jumpy and puff up. Now he constantly wants attention especially since he moved from sons room to new 4ft viv downstairs and jumps on my hand to get him out and have his run around downstairs
  • Tropical fish 0.0.30
Old 05-09-2011, 11:35 AM
Postaholic Member

Quote:
Sorry to drag up an old(ish) thread, but I wanted to give an update on this.

Since my last post, I've spent at least half an hour every day trying to make my dragon like me.

He eats from my hand (no gloves, so that's an improvement) and he's fine with my hands being in the viv to clean up his stinky poo and feed him. But as far as handling him... no luck. If he's in a good mood, I can stroke the end of his tail... he just doesn't like being handled. Getting him out of the viv is a military operation with gloves and must be done very very quickly.

Unfortunately, I'm now considering rehoming him. We've made some progress. He's not as agressive anymore but he's still very unhappy about being touched, let alone being handled.

I know I was probably naive, but I chose a beardie because I wanted a lizard that I could handle. I didn't expect him to be cuddly (I'm not a complete fool) but I did expect to be able to pick him up without being hissed at. I feel like I've let him down (I've never given up on a pet before) but I wonder if someone with more time or more experience (or even someone who doesn't mind having a pet they can only look at) will have more luck with him.
Are you a bit tense when you pick him up??I used to be like this with a particularly anxious snake I used to own.The more stressed I got the more she got stressed and used to lash out .A hard cycle to break.Can you not just open up the viv and see if he wants to come out of his own accord?. Also put a hot water bottle wrapped in a towel on your knee and just let him sit on that without patting etc..Just so he gains confidence around you.They love the warmth so will generally happily sit there.
When my beardie is out she likes to sit on the window sill on a wrapped up hot water bottle just watching the cars outside etc..She likes a stroke but is happy on her own too..worth a try?
Old 05-09-2011, 11:55 AM
Premier Member
Reviews: 20

You've done so much, dont give up yet.

he will learn to tolerate you in the end, but just like some people we dont all like being held or picked up. I have many reps here taht are striclty look but dont touch. I enjoy just sitting there and watching them do their own think.

Why not provide a ramp in and out of the viv, so the bearder and go as it pleases. Then it may calm down a bit when outside of the viv.

if he doesnt want cuddles just enjoy him as a view only pet.

Jay
stinglestick likes this.

Keeper of all things pygmy

Staffordshire Exotics Society
Last Sunday of the month
Come along if you are in the area
Next meetings 31st March and 28th April

Old 05-09-2011, 02:11 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.R/Trooper View Post
It can take a long time to tame a reptile, the key is to keep at it. "Trying" those things will just not work, you need to keep doing them and make it as frequent as possible. Even turning the lights out at night and then placing your hand inside (he will be a bit slower and tolerant of you like this) will show an improvement. Unfortunatly once again it's a classic case of people buying things and not taking responsibility for them. I know i sound like an arse but this is a reason why so many beardies are found ill-treated and/or up for rehoming; because the buyer didnt research enough. You can not take an animal and place it in a box with the expectance that he/she will be instantly tame, these are not dogs & cats. Keep working with it and the end result will be overwhelming.
I normally try to bite my tongue in cases such as this, because I know people are only trying to help and posting on public forums leaves you open to criticism, which I usually accept, but I'm afraid I have to agree with you on this one - you do sound like arse.

First, you didn't bother reading the whole post or the helpful replies I had already received and proceeded to give me advice I had already been given.

Now, this second reply seems like you still haven't read the previous information given and I find your reply quite insulting.

I have not just been "trying" different things. For the last 2 months (and for some time before this as I didn't post my first request for help without first trying on my own), I have spent at least half an hour every day (I simply do not have time to spend longer than this - I wish I did, but I don't) doing all of the things people have suggested since I first posted and making very little progress.

This is nothing to do with me buying something and not taking responsibility for it. If that was the case, he would be gone already. I have posted here because I wanted help to avoid having to rehome a reptile that cost me an awful lot of money (twice as much as I would have paid if I'd gone to a petshop because I wanted to make sure I got him from a reputable breeder) and that I have spent an awful lot of time trying to tame. Despite being bitten on occasion and hissed at every day, I have made sure that my lizard is well fed and well cared for.

Before buying Edward, I did a lot of research. I drove over an hour to meet the breeder and spent time with her and her lizards before making a decision to buy one. She has also been a great source of advice since I brought him home and agrees that I have worked very hard with him with very little success.

This was not an impulse pet shop buy and I did not expect him to be instantly tame (as I've mentioned before, I may have been a little naive, but I am not a complete fool). But I did - following research and discussion with the breeder - expect a lizard that I could handle at least in some way.

If I do rehome Edward, it will not be done lightly.

Thank you to everyone else for you helpful replies and advice. I really do appreciate you taking the time to try and help me.

I haven't given up yet.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:49 PM
Ultra Citizen

ive had an idea that had to do with my beardie when his hormones started to kick in,
put some crickets or somthing in a large dish or box so he climbs in then put this on the floor and let him out to run around,
he will burn his energy and might be more relaxed