Bearded Dragon UV Question - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Lizards

Old 19-07-2011, 03:40 PM
Regular
Default Bearded Dragon UV Question

Hey there quick question regarding UV setup.
Ive just upgraded UV tube to an arcadia 12% T5 which runs length of tank and is situated on ceiling behind doors with arcadia reflector. (18" high viv). Reflecting towards back of viv.

Would it be a bad idea to leave my old tube (T8 12%) at the oposite side of ceiling being reflected in opposite direction.

Ive got both on at moment and its a lot brighter and i may be imagining it but he seems a lot more active.

Closest he can get to either tube is around 10"

Look forward to your replies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 19-07-2011, 03:49 PM
Ultra Citizen

Umm I would say so long as the T8 tube was coming to the end of its useful life then its ok as it wont actually be giving much UV off, however if they are both new there may be too many UV rays vs visible light which may cause eye problems, best bloke to talk to is arcadiajohn on here
1.0.0 Royal Python
0.1.0 Boa Constrictor
0.0.1 Western Hognose
0.2.0 Horned Frog
1.0.0 Giant Madagascan Day Gecko
2.0.0 Tokay Geckos
0.1.0 Japalura Sp.
0.2.0 African Pygmy Hedgehog
1.0.0 Siberian Husky

Facebook.... http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...24&ref=tn_tnmn
Old 19-07-2011, 03:54 PM
Regular

To be honest the T8 tube is weeks old, was worried he wasnt getting enough UV with it being 18 inches above him so purchased the T5.

Ah, ive seen a few of his posts, ill try and find one and send him a PM, thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 19-07-2011, 04:17 PM
Premier Member

Hello, there is no reason why you shouldn't use two lamps as long as you know the quality and age. I would place them side by side though so that the emission is coming from one angle. We need to try and replicate nature and there is only one sun.

I wouldn't be concerned about over provision. The sun in England in April at 2.00pm provides about 200mws. In Auz it is massively higher. At 15" with the reflector the T5s give about 100-130mws and the T8s about 30mws so there is still room for improvement. Next months PRK explains new lighting tech and is out end of next week I think.

You will notice that the T5s have a pronounced burning in period, I.E they will take one week to get to the full brightness, this is very noticeable, you will see the lamp get brighter every day for about a week when it will stabalise.

All questions welcome.

John.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callum84 View Post
To be honest the T8 tube is weeks old, was worried he wasnt getting enough UV with it being 18 inches above him so purchased the T5.

Ah, ive seen a few of his posts, ill try and find one and send him a PM, thanks

Arcadia Reptile; Head of Science and Innovation

BRAND NEW BOOK out now. The Elements series; Part 1- FIRE, The Sun, its Use and Replication in Reptile Keeping

Find us on facebook under "Arcadia reptile"
www.arcadiareptile.com
Old 19-07-2011, 04:19 PM
Forum Citizen

If you have access to 2 separate timers for 2 separately powered uv lights you can have it so both are on in the middle of the day but have one of the two uvs switched off in the morning and evening. This would better replicate natural sun exposure as the power of the sun fluctuates through the day.
Gazfather likes this.
Old 19-07-2011, 04:25 PM
Regular

Thanks for the quick reply john, looking at the figures you just posted im astounded at the difference between the T5 and T8, makes me feel a whole lot better upgrading my 2 week old T8 setup.

I will do as you suggested and have both tubes emitting in same direction.

Thanks very much for your help!
Old 19-07-2011, 04:28 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by reptolad View Post
If you have access to 2 separate timers for 2 separately powered uv lights you can have it so both are on in the middle of the day but have one of the two uvs switched off in the morning and evening. This would better replicate natural sun exposure as the power of the sun fluctuates through the day.
Thats a cracking idea.
Will keep this in mind, thanks
Old 19-07-2011, 05:34 PM
Postaholic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reptolad View Post
Genius, i may even try this myself

Quote:
Rackie is awesome. True story
Old 19-07-2011, 07:25 PM
Regular

Found a slight problem, running both lights brings the temp in the cool area up to around 87 to 89F and warm area to 97F to 99F. It's quite a warm day today so that's not helping.
I've always aimed for low 80s I'n cool area but are these temps ok for 3month old?
Thanks
Old 26-07-2011, 03:22 PM
Forum Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callum84 View Post
Found a slight problem, running both lights brings the temp in the cool area up to around 87 to 89F and warm area to 97F to 99F. It's quite a warm day today so that's not helping.
I've always aimed for low 80s I'n cool area but are these temps ok for 3month old?
Thanks
My temps are around that for my rankins dragon and it doesn't seem to bother him but then I do leave his viv open so he can run around when he likes in the afternoon. He's not much of a basker really. I sometimes leave the door ajar to cool the viv down when he's gaping.

Tags
arcadia , bearded dragon , uvb