Reptile Forums banner

Sensing lodging beardy

679 views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  grim_reaper 
#1 ·
Hi, we are looking after my nephews female bearded dragon for a week and our male beardy is scratching and head butting the glass more than usual to come out. The lodger is in her own viv upstairs and has not come into any contact with him is it possible that he can sense she is here?

#2 ·
this was the case with my beadies and is how i startied breeding them(stoped now)
he was in a viv in the living room and she was in another viv in my spare room.
he was the clamest most lazy beardie ever and then as soon as i bought her in the house he "chnaged", scratching glass, constantly head bobing, being quite defencive if his viv ect.. so i thought mabey i'l introduce then and within minutes i had mating and eggs a few weeks later and 8 babie beardies in time.
so it is possible that he could smell pheromones or something i dunno but its weird

#4 ·
hey let them meet eachover and u never know u could make urself upto £150+ wth some babies lol, if u see mating get an incubator put together, i made mine out of a poly box, heat mat, mat-stat, vermiculite and hatched 12 healthy clutches with it :p

#6 ·
That is one of the most irresponsible suggestions I've seen on here for a while! You'd be lucky to break even if you breed beardies with the market how it is. Actually you'd be lucky to even find homes for all the babies even if you give them away for free!

OP I'm guessing you won't be introducing the beardies! He probably can sense/smell the female in the house but he'll calm down again when she's gone. Just do not let him see her!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.