Reptile Forums banner

Yemen Chameleon - terrified of people

478 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Miss Lily 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

We've just taken on a new chameleon, I know his past owner has asked for help on this forum regarding territorial behaviour, but to me it looks far more like fear. Even when someone enters the room he hides and then won't venture out unless the person sits like a statue. We have managed to get him to eat a couple of waxworms from a long handled spoon, but it took a good 45mins.

So is this normal behaviour for Yemens? we've only dealt with panthers before.

Other than taking things very slowly, is there anything we can do to help him over his fear? I mean I know he'll never be super tame but it would be nice to be able to take him outside in the sun or so I can do a full cage clean.

Pippa

#4 ·
Firstly, he has a lot of adjustments and changes to get used to. It can take a few weeks for them to settle in when you move them to a bigger enclosure, so a new house and new people will take longer for him to get used to. Males are known to be territorial. Give him time to settle in and then introduce handfeeding - offer him something like a waxworm on your outstretched palm. He may not take it at first, but keep on trying and be patient! That will help him to realise that your hand brings nice things - chams can be easily bribed with food!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.