Bosc monitor temperament?? - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Lizards

Old 28-08-2011, 12:04 AM
Hatchling
Default Bosc monitor temperament??

Hi there i'm new to this site i have some questions for the people who keep these monitors i have been talking to a member on here about them but i feel i'm bugging him alot with questions so i thought make a thread. Basically what i want to know is what there temperament is and do they like been handled i have read some caresheet but i prefer to hear advice from people who have them

Many thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 28-08-2011, 12:07 AM
Banned

Mine don't particularly like being held but am fine with most other things. Generally they're lazy and as long as they're fed and watered they get onwith you.
Old 28-08-2011, 12:10 AM
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whosthedaddy View Post
Mine don't particularly like being held but am fine with most other things. Generally they're lazy and as long as they're fed and watered they get onwith you.
so basically handling should be kept to a minimum?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 28-08-2011, 12:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampire-warrior View Post
so basically handling should be kept to a minimum?
Not really as they're all different, if they tolerate it then yes, if they show no signs of tolerating the close interaction then no.
Old 29-08-2011, 04:20 PM
Super Citizen
Send a message via MSN to BoscMonster Send a message via Yahoo to BoscMonster

Mine doesn't mind the being picked up for short periods but fine with everything else seems ok with the interaction.
I'll sit beside the viv if he's interested i'll offer my hand and if he comes over and climbs my hand i'll scoop him on my chest he'll sit for a min then usually climb down and go for a wander round the room or take himself for a walk up the stairs.
Short handling periods seem to be ok just to pick him up then put him down but they're not cuddly.
They seem to react much better to other interaction like using you as a climbing post, or feeding with tongs or giving them a warm bath.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salazare Slytherin View Post
people my advice is to learn the difference between a highly explosive element to that of a safe one which is acceptible for supplementation.
Best advice I've ever heard.
Old 29-08-2011, 07:55 PM
Ultra Citizen

my one doesn't like being handled but my other one he will let me pick him up,i put him on my lap and he just chills there.i had a younger one who used to charge at me when i opened the viv door,but after a while he settled down and would let me pick him up for 5 minutes or so....there all different.
Old 29-08-2011, 10:07 PM
Regular

Had you asked this question a month or 2 ago i would have said mine was the devil in disguise,always hiding and when i did see him he would always hiss,tail whip & try to have my fingers off.

Today,i'm glad to say,he's a totally different fella.Sure,he's a grumpy git in the morning & he has his days where he wants to be left alone which is fair enough and i still have to watch my fingers occasionally but generaly he's a proper soppy git now.Now he'll quite happily fall asleep in my hoodie,let me stroke him,pick him up and check his claws & tail etc infact i can pretty much do what i want with him.I know this is a bold statement but he's just like a BD.
BoscMonster likes this.
Old 30-08-2011, 08:44 PM
Super Citizen
Send a message via MSN to BoscMonster Send a message via Yahoo to BoscMonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandal View Post
Had you asked this question a month or 2 ago i would have said mine was the devil in disguise,always hiding and when i did see him he would always hiss,tail whip & try to have my fingers off.

Today,i'm glad to say,he's a totally different fella.Sure,he's a grumpy git in the morning & he has his days where he wants to be left alone which is fair enough and i still have to watch my fingers occasionally but generaly he's a proper soppy git now.Now he'll quite happily fall asleep in my hoodie,let me stroke him,pick him up and check his claws & tail etc infact i can pretty much do what i want with him.I know this is a bold statement but he's just like a BD.
Mine won't fall asleep in my hoodie my if the missis brings him up to bed at like 11am when i'm usually in bed after a night shift he will dive under the duvet and sleep by my leg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salazare Slytherin View Post
people my advice is to learn the difference between a highly explosive element to that of a safe one which is acceptible for supplementation.
Best advice I've ever heard.
Old 30-08-2011, 08:55 PM
Forum Citizen
Send a message via MSN to scorp25

bosc all have different temperments some can never be tamed and some are easy to tame, take it slow with the bosc when ya get 1 let him get use to you, so find excusses to go in its viv like water, spot clean not just food or it might see your hand as food mine seem traind in way when i go in the viv they usually look up at my hand and if am not feeding i show them my palm then they usually go back to sleep lol if i dont show my palm then they come to, they clicked on fast very intelligant lizard i love them
1.1.0 blackthroat monitors 0.0.1 RBKU#10
1.1.0 leapord geckos
1.4.2 bearded draggons
0.0.1 chilean rose 0.0.2 white stripe 0.0.1 mexican red knee 0.0.1 starburst babboon
1.1.0 dwarf boas 0.0.1 nile monitor 1.0.0 green iguana 1.1.0 common boas
0.1.0 mongrel 0.1.0 english bull terrior