HELP URGENT, UNEXPECTED BEARDIE EGGS, what do i do?? - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Lizards

Old 14-10-2011, 07:53 PM
Hatchling
Default HELP URGENT, UNEXPECTED BEARDIE EGGS, what do i do??

MY supposedly male beardie has just laid 26 eggs,
need to make a temporary incubator NOW and have no idea how.
help please...
thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 14-10-2011, 08:00 PM
Premier Citizen
Reviews: 5

Has he been kept on his own for the last two months?
Because if this is the case the eggs will be infertile and there would be no point in incubating them.
Old 14-10-2011, 08:16 PM
Forum Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrolithicTitan View Post
Has he been kept on his own for the last two months?
Because if this is the case the eggs will be infertile and there would be no point in incubating them.
Same^^^^^^^^^^^^
African Fire Millipede, Ruby
Bearded Dragon, Bugsy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 14-10-2011, 09:55 PM
Ultra Citizen
Send a message via MSN to polaris2582

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardies are the best View Post
Same^^^^^^^^^^^^
I not.....
Get a polystyrene box (your local butcher or fishmonger will carry these if you can't get them anywhere else) fill the box with vermiculite, place your eggs in as normal.
Purchase an electric blanket, like you'd have for the bed at home, place one half under the box and fold it over so it surrounds the box.
Within the box you should have an accurate humidity gauge and thermostat. In the substrate, not the air, though if it's done right there shouldn't be much difference.
Set the blanket to the lowest setting and take the temp. after an hour or more.
If the temp is correct you are very, very lucky lol. If it's too cold (which it should be unless you've bought a blanket for the artic), try the next notch. This will likely be too hot (if not, leave it on this notch and follow the next instructions).
Keep it on the lower one in this case and wrap the whole set up in a blanket. Add blankets until you reach the right temperature. (The blankets hold in the warmth), I would recommend using the picnic blankets with the tin foil on one side.

For adding humidity, go to your local odd's and ends shop and buy an "atomizer" they are for your hair, like a spray bottle but they produce an incredibly fine mist. They may be called something else with you. :/

If you need any more help beyond this feel free to pm me.

(this method has never lost an egg in my care to date.)
To: MariaW a big! thank you to the first RFUK'r to donate to S.E.A.R. the Scottish Exotic Animal Rescue centre. We are in trouble folks, every little helps.... Thank you Maria for your Christmas Gift.
Donate Here: http://www.creaturesgreatandsmall.co...an-Animal.html
Old 14-10-2011, 10:00 PM

With the number of captive bred bearded dragons massively outstripping demand and with the fact that it will cost you an absolute fortune to buy suitable enclosures for raising a litter properly and with the fact that they weren't planned, my honest answer would be to put them inn the freezer over night then throw them in the bin.

Just because they've been laid, doesn't mean they should be incubated.
TEENY, kirsten, andy007 and 5 others like this.

http://andysboamorphs.webs.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saedcantas View Post
It's a well known fact that you can't reason (or debate) with morons.
VEGETARIAN - An old American Indian word for 'Bad Hunter'
Old 14-10-2011, 10:04 PM
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by bothrops View Post
With the number of captive bred bearded dragons massively outstripping demand and with the fact that it will cost you an absolute fortune to buy suitable enclosures for raising a litter properly and with the fact that they weren't planned, my honest answer would be to put them inn the freezer over night then throw them in the bin.

Just because they've been laid, doesn't mean they should be incubated.
Bit harsh that like and to be honest fairly cruel always people who will take them and give them loving homes
Old 14-10-2011, 10:05 PM
Super Citizen

Can u afford to look after the babies if they hatch, and havd to got space to house them and who will u sell then to once they are big enough. If the answers is "I don't know or Maybe" do the kindest thing and pop them in the freezer.
Sorry to be blunt but there are to many unwanted babies in this world
sam&bryan likes this.
Old 14-10-2011, 10:24 PM
Premier Citizen

Have to echo some of the last comments, I had 2 large clutches and decided to only hatch 5 eggs in total, the babies are still with me, wish I hadn't really bothered incubating any to be honest.

Varanus Caudolineatus 1.1 £1500
Varanus Kingorum - 1.1 pairs available £1200
Varanus glauerti 1.1 £500

PM if interested in any of the available

Old 14-10-2011, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjayjay04 View Post
Bit harsh that like and to be honest fairly cruel always people who will take them and give them loving homes
How the hell is it cruel? What a rediculous thing to say. Is is 'cruel' to fry a hens egg?

And of course there are always people who will give them loving homes....at this years IHS show, baby normals at less than a fiver each were staying on the breeders tables....the classifieds are full of them and no-one is buying.

Sure you could probably flog a few to a local pet shop for a few quid each, but firstly it'll cost a fortune to raise them to saleable size (far more than you'll get for them) and then they will be flogged for £50 quid each to unsuspecting parents of spoilt young children with a £100 'starter kit' that has a 60W lightbulb and a tub of crickets...they'll be told to 'just feed it lettuce and crickets' and it will die within a week...

...yeah, thinking about it, freezing the undeveloped eggs is definitely the 'cruel' option.

http://andysboamorphs.webs.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saedcantas View Post
It's a well known fact that you can't reason (or debate) with morons.
VEGETARIAN - An old American Indian word for 'Bad Hunter'
Old 14-10-2011, 10:38 PM
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bothrops View Post
How the hell is it cruel? What a rediculous thing to say. Is is 'cruel' to fry a hens egg?

And of course there are always people who will give them loving homes....at this years IHS show, baby normals at less than a fiver each were staying on the breeders tables....the classifieds are full of them and no-one is buying.

Sure you could probably flog a few to a local pet shop for a few quid each, but firstly it'll cost a fortune to raise them to saleable size (far more than you'll get for them) and then they will be flogged for £50 quid each to unsuspecting parents of spoilt young children with a £100 'starter kit' that has a 60W lightbulb and a tub of crickets...they'll be told to 'just feed it lettuce and crickets' and it will die within a week...

...yeah, thinking about it, freezing the undeveloped eggs is definitely the 'cruel' option.

Thats unfair on pets shops the starter kit will also include a heat mat, a bag of sand and a pretty plastic cactus.

The day will come when RFUK doesn't make me think FFS! at least once an hour.

Last edited by kemist; 14-10-2011 at 11:08 PM..

Tags
bearded dragons , beardies , eggs , incubators