Reptile Forums banner

Chinese Water Dragon... Lifeless Under water??? HELP PLEASE!!!

21K views 19 replies 4 participants last post by  mrsmith77 
#1 ·
Hi Forum...
I moved Mu Shu into his new Viv yesterday, was quiet to begin with but soon found his feet, and started to explore and eat,

Popped out earlier today to get a Heat Emitter and glow light holder. Came back in to find him in the corner of his 'Water Half' spread out, lying on the bottom eyes closed... Upset I slowly pulled him out of the corner and he wasn't moving... pulled him a little further away and still, no movement, only when I pulled him out of the water did he wake up and start to move, he c lumbered over to his branch, lay there for 20 mins then started to move his head, popped a few crickets in to see if he had the energy to eat and he's now eating, jumping, climbing.... all the normal things a CWD would do!

What Happened??
DO CWD have the ability to stay under water for a prolonged length of time?
How do I stop it from happening again?
Anyone else experienced anything Similar?

one thing I did notice is the water temp was low, so I bought a small heater and now seems to warm up a little.

Any idas??

See less See more
#2 ·
how cold is the water?

My Aussies sleep in their water nearly every night, you will be shocked at how long they can actually stay under!

My water is around 20c over night, and i used to stress big time about it, but they do it and you just have to make sure the water isnt too cold. If you have an aquarium heater in the water just make sure they cant touch it, they can still do damage even though they are under water...

Hope this helps buddy?

#4 ·
I have seen mine under for well over 45 minutes, and they play dead so well that you actually think they are!! even when you pick them up they seem lifeless, then just open their eyes, freak out and run away! too funny!

i used to stress about it big time, now i just make sure their water isnt too cold and leave them be...

having said that, i did learn the hard way, i lost my first male last year due to this. long story short, i was living with my brother while i was between houses, their viv was in the shed and we had an unexpected cold snap before i managed to change over to their winter setup with over night heating. went in the next morning and found the male floating belly up in the water. It had dropped to about 3c overnight and he pretty much just shut down in the cold water, i was gutted! The female survived the cold snap, and is still with me today, luckily she didnt spend that night in the water too, i would have lost them both! needless to say, i will never make that mistake again!

Dont let my experience freak you out or make you paranoid though!!!

#5 ·
Thank you...

The water was room temp... not sure how cold it is exactly (felt cold to the touch) the looked liked he'd Pegged it! i have covered the Aquarium heated with rocks (not on it, just around it) he has been in the water since and come back out again fine so? its the first day im leaving him on his own tomorrow, i gotta go to work, just worried when i get back the same would have happened, but with worse consequence! how long have yours managed to stay under for?

Thanks for replying!

#8 ·
The water was room temp... not sure how cold it is exactly (felt cold to the touch) the looked liked he'd Pegged it! i have covered the Aquarium heated with rocks (not on it, just around it) he has been in the water since and come back out again fine so? its the first day im leaving him on his own tomorrow, i gotta go to work, just worried when i get back the same would have happened, but with worse consequence! how long have yours managed to stay under for?

Thanks for replying!
If your house is not too cold, room temp is fine. like i said, my water is about 22 in the day and 20 over night and they are perfectly fine. i know how you feel though, you immediately fear the worst! but i personally wouldnt worry too much, unless you know your house is only like 15c or something then i would consider finding a way to heat the water...

I dont know exactly how long, but i watched an entire episode of CSI without either of them coming up for air! so about an hour, possibly longer coz i went for a smoke and they only came out after i came back in, think the back door closing woke them up! :lol2:

bloody hell, im glad mine dont sleep in the water if it did i dont think ide get any shut eye that night haha! i dont heat my water stays around 20-30 though but i do have the water fall by the baskin spot i think that warms the water up nicely :p and yeh i head read 45 mins but been told longer saying that mines never gone under water and played dead i kinda leave him to it :p
ha ha ha! you end up having nightmares about drowning dragons ans stuff, not cool! as a rule of thumb, i make sure their enclosure never drop below 19/20, as long as i know that, i sleep like a baby! :lol2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.