what substrate do you use for your beardies and collard lizards? - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Lizards

Old 11-12-2011, 05:58 PM
Forum Citizen
Question what substrate do you use for your beardies and collard lizards?

i have 2 collards lizards and 1 bearded dragon(not in the same viv) i have sand in the bottom of my beardies viv but it seems to get everywhere(in her food and water)and i have tissue paper on the bottom of my collards but they just pull it all up they did have sand but they had the same problem as my beardie so i was just wondering if you had any good ideas of substrate that i can use on both of them?thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2011, 07:41 PM
Super Citizen

On our beardies we use either lino or tiles and we have used bran oats before but they seemed to make their colours not as bright cause of the 'dust', but they loved it.
CR
Old 11-12-2011, 07:49 PM
No Life Member

A mix of sterilised top soil and play sand can work well. You can get the soil from B&Q etc.

Old 11-12-2011, 07:58 PM
Forum Citizen

I had half tile, and half play sand...the tile half for where the food goes (so it didnt get mixed) and tile is good for keeping their nails trimmed also. I have also used lino.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:26 AM
Super Citizen

For my adult collareds i use playsand and handfeed some veg but not all eat it.With water i tend to give females some after they have laid via a syringe as they get there moisture from the food they eat so no need to leave in all the time.

As for the young collareds i keep on paper towel and do supply a bowl of veg to try and get them used to it(some do some dont,no matter how hard i try)again with water i will put a shallow bowl in with them but only for a short while every other day or so just to try and get them used to drinking(but again they get all they need from there food,so no need to be in all the time plus it would just increase humidity if left in and collareds like it dry)

Once the young are 3 or 4 months old they are fine to go on playsand but i dont usually have them that long as they tend to be sold on by then.

I never have a mess (apart from poo in the adults vivs)but the young can make a fair mess.

I assume you are using dry sand ? and not damp or wet as that is no good to collareds.
Hope that helps some.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:25 PM
Forum Citizen
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by karma View Post
For my adult collareds i use playsand and handfeed some veg but not all eat it.With water i tend to give females some after they have laid via a syringe as they get there moisture from the food they eat so no need to leave in all the time.

As for the young collareds i keep on paper towel and do supply a bowl of veg to try and get them used to it(some do some dont,no matter how hard i try)again with water i will put a shallow bowl in with them but only for a short while every other day or so just to try and get them used to drinking(but again they get all they need from there food,so no need to be in all the time plus it would just increase humidity if left in and collareds like it dry)

Once the young are 3 or 4 months old they are fine to go on playsand but i dont usually have them that long as they tend to be sold on by then.

I never have a mess (apart from poo in the adults vivs)but the young can make a fair mess.

I assume you are using dry sand ? and not damp or wet as that is no good to collareds.
Hope that helps some.
ok thanks and yer im using dry sand on the collards but now i have papertowel down they seem more active so maybe i should keep that down or is this a bad idea?

Old 12-12-2011, 04:30 PM
Forum Citizen
Question

is tile ok for the whole of the viv(substrate)or not?

Old 14-12-2011, 11:32 PM
Super Citizen

Tile is fine i used to use it in some vivs,I just prefer sand as they like it and they also like to dig so they can block there hides up on a nightime.

You could always use a combination of substrates,I guess alot is down to personal preference of what you prefer and what your lizards seem to prefer.

Gotta put some new batteries in the cam tomorrow so try n get a few pics uploaded(although alot of mine are asleep at the moment)
scotty667 likes this.
Old 15-12-2011, 03:07 AM
Hatchling

I use beach wood chips they work great the dig in it when they sleep, it looks nice and it does not get everywhere!
0.1.0 Corn Snake
1.0.0 Panther Chameleon
0.2.0 Leopard Geckos
Old 15-12-2011, 10:27 AM
Forum Citizen
ok thanks my beardie just seems to sleep all the time i dont no if this is because of the substrate

Tags
bearded dragon substrate , collard lizard substrate , sand