Urgent Beardie help :( - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Lizards

Old 22-12-2011, 10:20 AM
Regular
Unhappy Urgent Beardie help :(

I am in a spot of bother.
I have a trio of 1 - 1&1/2 beardies in a 4ft viv. Whilst I am at college my parents have had them at their house. But due to a huge change in circumstances they cannot stay there anymore. And they have no-where else to go
I also am not able to stay at my parents house either (I live in at college but usually go home at weekends) so have moved permanently in with my partner's family, dragging along my 10 leos and other small furries. They are just about tolerating this, but understandably do not want the hassle of the beardies, especially as they are a bit limited to space and do not have anywhere to put the viv - the leos are in RUBs so it isnt too bad. Does anybody know how much it roughly costs for one extension lead to be plugged in all the time with 4 plugs (heatmats & matstats) plugged in constantly? As I want to give them something towards the electricity Im using each month.

I really really do not want to have to rehome my beardies - I finish college in June and my partner and I have a place ready to move into around that time - end of June / beginning of July but in the mean time I do not know what to do?

I have asked friends/other family/classmates, even loads of the Animal Care students at college but to no avail. I do not know if anyone offers animal boarding? Even so, will the cost not be extortionate (sp) for the next 6 months?

Does anyone else have any ideas as to what I can do - somewhere that they can stay for 6 months until I move into my place and can have them back with me?

Bry x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 22-12-2011, 10:28 AM
Regular
Default Location?

Where do you live?
Old 22-12-2011, 10:33 AM
Ultra Citizen

you have 3 bearded dragons in a 4ft viv??

i give up. i seriously do. someone find me a shotgun.
1.0.2 African Fat tail geckos
0.2.0 Sugar Gliders
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 22-12-2011, 11:37 AM
Forum Citizen

Yup..Sounds stupid..However he isnt just dumping the beardies in a bush somewhere so a little teeny bit of credit there..My 3.5 month old beardie is in a 4ft viv...
I would say if your inlaws are happy to keep them but want a bit of help with elec..then gie them a tenner a month...I have one of those smart meters and with the viv lights on and heater the hourly rate hardly changes...Plus I am sure it gives th e"oldies" somethign fun to do rahter than crosswords....

How old are the beardies? I wonder why so many people have beardies or creatures similar then go to college and have no idea of who will care for the beardie...

Anyway..give them avtenner..say its only for few months and do they really want to make your partner unhappy for her last year of college..that should stump them till July!!
Old 22-12-2011, 11:40 AM
Egg
Default Dental Implant

Ya there is many animal care centre in us.You can went and find your solution.
Old 22-12-2011, 01:02 PM
Ultra Citizen

http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forum...ml#post9425259

AdorableTrog of Dred's Hareem

Oh sorry, did i offend you?
Old 22-12-2011, 02:21 PM
Regular

truly_juan, my parents live in Benfleet, Essex, and my partner lives in Stowmarket, Suffolk, where I am staying at the moment.

Im sorry I should have stated that the beardies are all 6 months of age and will most definately not be staying in a 4ft vivarium forever.

Spideysare, of course I am not going to 'dump them in a bush somewhere' - and the idea of college was never a problem as it was always arranged that I was going to keep the beardies at my parents.
If you must all know we have had a house fire and for the forseeable future it looks as though the house is going to be uninhabitable - hence me having to stay with my partner's parents and the rest of my family going to go and live in their cottage that they have for weekend breaks etc. But with the 5 of them, 3 mastiffs, my parent's own 2 beardies in their 8ft custom built viv which obviously takes up alot of room, they just cannot possibly fit them in there.

As for my partner's parents house, I really cannot have them there either - his father is extremely unhappy about it as it is with the animals that I have living there at the moment.
Old 22-12-2011, 02:48 PM
5 Star Member

Only thing I can think of at the moment is talk to a rescue centre around near you and ask them if they can house them for you in exchange for some weekend work. You'd ofc need to take in their food etc. I'm sure they would understand the situation.

Someone on here that lives in your area might be able to help out with some of the leos short term also.

Sorry to hear about your parents house, extreamly bad timing (not that there is ever a good time) being so near xmas etc.

Just as an afterthought, did anyone check over the animals after the fire to see if they inhaled smoke etc? Not sure how recent the fire was or how close to the animals but might want to keep a close eye on them all for RI.

1.2.0. Beardies Wally, Wilma and Wendy. (Each in own viv, don't house beardies together please)
lygodactylus picturatus Rag,tag, bobtail
1.1.0 shongololo (Train millipedes local African name)...Choochoo and Thomas...
1.1.0 Dogs
Ben, Jack Russel. Holly, Border Collie,
Loooots of fishies
looots of live colonies.
R.I.P. Little Fred. Beardie 29/4/2011

Last edited by nicnet; 22-12-2011 at 02:51 PM..
Old 22-12-2011, 03:04 PM
Regular

Thankyou nicnet.

Yes all the animals were taken to the vets for check-ups and were thankfully all given the all-clear. Its the cats we were most concerned about as they were asleep quite close to it all but even they didnt inhale too much smoke but they spent the night at the vets just to make sure everything was well.

Do you know of any rescue centres that I can contact?
I wouldnt want to google some in case I managed to pick one that isnt very trustworthy - would rather go to one whom someone on here can recommend?

Thankyou x
Old 22-12-2011, 03:05 PM
Forum Citizen

So sorry to hear fo the fire.. I didnt imply you would dump the beardies..i was trying to give you credit. But maybe wrote it a little poorly..Apologies.

I presuem you are attending college near Suffolk hence staing with Girlfriends parents? Do they now know anyone who may be able to help?

I am not sure how keep my other half would be if i came home with another viv full of beardies...And I cant think of anyone who could help as Im th eonly person with beardies etc I know.Tortoises may have been different..

Could you not keep the beardies at girlfriends house and rehome the leos and furries?As they are in smaller boxes they may be easier to rehome?
Not sure i that would help? Depending on what furries you have I may be able to help there..Have kept Gerbils in the past and woudl liek to help out if i can.
I live in Northants area..