best pet lizards!! - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Lizards

Old 03-01-2012, 10:24 PM
Super Regular
Thumbs up best pet lizards!!

ive noticed that there aren't many reliable places on the inter net than somebody can go to look into what types of lizards are good for begginers :0 so i thought id start this, feel free to post all ideas ;D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2012, 10:25 PM
Forum Citizen

I woul definitely say bearded dragons are a gud starter lizard it was the first reptile I ever had
Old 03-01-2012, 10:25 PM
Premier Citizen

Leos easy to look after,no special lighting needed and most of the time very tame
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2012, 10:27 PM
Super Regular

yehh ive gpt a beardie and a crested gecko but if im to get another it will most prob be a leo !! and then hopefull il work up to a 'diablo blanco leo' haha the look amazing ;D
Old 03-01-2012, 10:28 PM
Premier Citizen
Reviews: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm66n66 View Post
I woul definitely say bearded dragons are a gud starter lizard it was the first reptile I ever had
Quote:
Originally Posted by XtremeReptiles View Post
Leos easy to look after,no special lighting needed and most of the time very tame
Neither of these statements are necessarily true. Bearded dragons are actually really complicated in terms of acceptable dietary requirements, and the live food/veg ratio, among a million other things. And scientific evidence suggests that leo's benefit from a small percentage of UV rather than non at all.

Personally, so long as you do the research and you know what is expected of any lizard, you can get whatever the hell you want!!!
vandal likes this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salazare Slytherin View Post

people my advice is to learn the difference between a highly explosive element to that of a safe one which is acceptible for supplemtation.
I make banners like the one below, if you would like one, PM me a pic!

If you don't like my posts click here:
www.chickenonaraft.com

Old 03-01-2012, 10:28 PM
Gold Star Member
Reviews: 2

leopard geckos definately
Old 03-01-2012, 10:31 PM
Super Regular

i think bearded dragon are highly rated because of there temperament and almost all reptiles will benefit from a small amount of UV so i totally agree on that . but even with extensive research i don't think a Nile monitor or something along those lines is a good idea at all so there are boundaries ;D
dm66n66 likes this.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:32 PM
Ultra Citizen

There was a really good response to a similar thread by Salazare a few days ago.

Something I'd never thought about before, really to cut a long story short, beardies are not really a good starter lizard. Look at all the problems regarding them on the forum at the moment - my beardie won't eat, acting funny, shedding problems etc.

Just because they are widely available, doesn't mean they are good for beginners. My first rep was a beardie, and because of bad advice I received he developed gout. He's all good now tho

It really depends on what angle you are coming from.

Blue tongues are hardy wee things, eat like troopers, very intelligent. Not very active so good with kids as they are not fast in the slightest.

Ackies are also hardy wee buggers, awesome to watch as they are very active. Not so good with kids I'd say, until they are fully grown as they are the fastest little things I've seen.

From what perspective are you looking at?
Old 03-01-2012, 10:36 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bexzini View Post
Neither of these statements are necessarily true. Bearded dragons are actually really complicated in terms of acceptable dietary requirements, and the live food/veg ratio, among a million other things. And scientific evidence suggests that leo's benefit from a small percentage of UV rather than non at all.

Personally, so long as you do the research and you know what is expected of any lizard, you can get whatever the hell you want!!!
Yes true but what i meant is they dont actually need it like say a beardie would as long as your providing cal with d3 its fine but yes they would benefit from say a 2.0 bulb
Old 03-01-2012, 10:36 PM
Super Regular

i kind of think i should have got an akie but know i love my beardie haha and i wouldnt swap him ;D

Tags
begginer , lizard , new pets